Cycling to the Office

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
I did cycle to the office (35 min in the morning) earlier this summer and then I stopped because it takes time to change clothes back again at the office. I tried to cycle in my jeans but it was quite uncomfortable. Going to the office is not a big issue. The real problem is coming back which is uphill and almost 70 min more or less. So while coming back I have to have comfortable clothes to cycle when I am already tired after work.

Now it is less than 2 months left for cycling as snow will be coming at the start of December. If I can do some cycling that will be great for my fitness regime. Any practical tips for commuting to the office on my hybrid bike?

Replies

• ghost15026
    Options
    This may blow your mind: They make blue jeans just for cyclists. Levi's Commuter 504's, for example. Lycra-like stretchiness, suitable cut, reflective materials, and even a loop to carry your bicycle U-lock lol.

Have you considered the local metro/bus system (if available at all to you)? The buses in my city have bike racks on the front. You can ride to work, and take the bus home or vice-versa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmhiWaOgLUA
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've heard pretty good things about the Levi's Commuter jeans for mean. Outlier (www.outlier.cc) makes some very durable, 4-way stretch, nicely tailored bike commuter pants, but they run about $200. I've been gawking at the woman's version online for months.

Another option is to keep a couple changes of clean work clothes at your office. I know you said you don't like to take the time to change at work, but if it allows you to continue your bike commute, it would be worth it to make the time for it.

And of course, there are loads of ways to carry stuff via bicycle. Back racks, front racks, panniers, bike bags, backpacks. You can always carry a change of clothes with you.
  • umer76
    Options
    I have not heard about the Levi's jeans but will try to see whats the price here. For now it seems clothes changing has to be done. I agree it's worth it whenever I ride bike to the office I always feel more energetic.

On my way back, depending on the day I had at office I cycle may be half way or 2/3rd of the way and rest of the journey on the metro. My route is all along the metro therefore tendency is to get on it as quickly as possible. I should not be doing that but consistent uphill journey is not easy.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    They also make cycling underwear so you could wear that and your regular work clothes.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Heres a tip also. If you decide to wear regular pants when you ride. Take an old pair of socks, preferably black or dark. Cut the top part off. Keep the top part..roughly 6-8". I use that to tuck my pants legs in so they dont get caught in/on the chain ring. I just put them on over my socks in the morning. Then when I need to hop on the bike, I have something to tuck my pants in, that arent my dress socks and that I dont care if they get a little chain lube on, when you arrive at work you just roll them up under your pants leg and no one even knows you've got them on.
  • umer76
    Options
    Thanks KC for the very practical tip. That was another problem with the jeans that it could get stuck in the chain.

I am hoping to start from tomorrow. Wish me luck!
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can get a band that straps around your pants leg to prevent it going into the chain.

OR, do what I do, tuck your pant leg into your sock.
    Thanks KC for the very practical tip. That was another problem with the jeans that it could get stuck in the chain.

I am hoping to start from tomorrow. Wish me luck!
  • AZCycle
    AZCycle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know some folks who ride Tuesday-Thursday to work, and drive on Mondays and Fridays. On Monday they basically take a week's worth of clothing and leave it at work. You still have to change at work, but at least you don't have to drag a set of work clothes to/from work every day. Then on Friday, bring it all back home for the wash.

My commute is only 6-miles each way so it's not that bad, and slightly downhill TO work. I try to take it easy on the commute in so I don't get too sweaty (hard to do in Tucson when the morning temperature is already HOT). We don't have showers at work, either but I keep baby wipes at work to freshen up.

But on the way home I don't care about getting sweaty and try to really hammer it and get a good workout in.

Good on you for riding to work!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't completely understand the problem. Is there a reason you can't change clothes when you get to work? I know you said it takes time, but is there a reason you can't leave earlier to give you the time you need?

Then you can ride in whatever is most comfortable/functional and work in whatever you need to for work.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    my issue in riding to work is the sweat. i sweat heaps and will need to change clothes due to that. however, we dont really have change rooms here.

my plan is to ride to my parents house which is about 3km from the office and get them to drop me in.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you can't shower at work you can always bring wipes (diaper wipes, unscented) with you or maybe keep them at work? Some people store a supply of deodorant, etc. at work for this reason. Another idea is to drive halfway and park, then ride a short morning ride and half the way back home. As you get stronger up those hills you can park farther and farther away. Just an idea.

Good luck!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you dont comprehend the amout i sweat. its disgusting. wipes wont cut it.

also i need to break for 10 - 15 mins before showing or i will continue to sweat post shower.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've commuted in pretty much all sorts of weather and have always changed at work due to that, plus I find it far more comfortable which is the key. Like another poster mentions, taling clothes for the week on Monday is a great idea if you have a place to store them, so you can cool off and chaneg when you arrive riding in whatever is comfortable. Luckily I work in pajamas (scrubs...I'm a nurse) so they pack easily. I haul them, my lunch and other bits in a single pannier only adding a second bag when the weather turns and I'm having to bring a variety of stuff to stay warm/dry (mix and match dependeing on the weather). I also plan ahead to arrive with enough time to cool off and change on the morning commute. WIpes and deodorant seem to take care of the smell/sweat issue (at least I haven't had any complaints yet).

The longer you continue, the easier the hills will feel. I have a largish hill on my way to work and no other option but to ride it. When I started I was slow and needed to take breaks but I worked at it, slowly not taking breaks, then getting faster, now, I break a sweat if I'm pushing, but noting too bad. Having a bail-out option is nice, but it takes the work to get better.

Perseverance is the key and once you get used to it, you'll miss it when you can't ride. I get downright depressed when I have to drive to work for days in a row, it just isn't right to me.

Good luck and have fun! Rubber side down!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    And here is another option that is intriguing:

http://txchnologist.com/post/64205739732/will-the-smart-wheel-propel-bicycle-commuting-forward

I too sweat a ton and tend not to change my clothes for an hour or so after coming into the office. If I was to take a shower, I'd just continue to sweat in my office clothes. I much perfer to just let my body go through it's cool down period which takes about an hour before I change. That means I don't commute on days where I have an 8 AM morning meeting. The above is an intriguing option that would allow me to come into the office in a more cleaner manner and then work my butt off going home. Dragging an additional 9 lbs of weight would make my legs muscles stronger, that's for sure.
  • channush
    Options
    Get to like hills! Find a way to love them. I live in the mountains and have found that hitting granny gear and resting on the uphills has given me a great appreciation for hills as rest points! I commute just a mile or two in a skirt to my place of business at this point. I plan to expand it, but I have a few 12% grade spots on the way and have made it work into my schedule. I actually like the route that has more hills, because it has less traffic.

Also, it sounds as if you could take the metro to work and ride home? That would be a good start...
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How's your commute by bike going so far? I biked to/from work at least one day a week most of the summer until the end of September. My commute is 19 miles one way and takes me about an hour and five minutes so I know what you mean about needing to wear the proper cycling clothes. I don't think I could bear to make the ride in jeans or even "cycling" jeans, but I am able to leave clothes at work and I also leave a towel and wash clothes there so I can sponge off...not ideal but we don't have shower there.

I'm struggling now with the shorter days. By the time my day is finished at work, it's dark and I hate riding home in the dark. I've been missing the bike commute the past couple of weeks though! Another issue I have when I commute by bike is that I'm ravenous all day so I have to be sure I have enough healthy food at work to eat throughout the day.
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My commute is 19 miles one way and takes me about an hour and five minutes

That's makin great time. No stoplights???
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really recommend using a rack with panniers if you're not doing so already (assuming you're bringing in lunch/clothes/perhaps a laptop). I find that I mostly sweat under a backpack but I sweat much less when I'm not carrying anything on my body.