How far do you run and how long have you been running?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
Hi. How far do you run and how long have you been running?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 10 years.

How far? Well that depends. What time frame are you talking about? Daily? Weekly? Annually? I'll do my best to answer all of them.

My daily easy runs range from 6 to 10 miles.
    My long run ranges from 12 to 16 miles during regular training cycles and goes up to 22 miles during marathon training.
    Weekly, my base mileage ranges around 45 to 60 miles per week. During marathon training, it goes as high as 85 miles per week.
    My annual mileage the last 5 years is as follows

2009 - 1804
    2010 - 2073
    2011 - 2770
    2012 - 2607
    2013 - 2466 YTD (tracking for around 2700)

I hope that is what you were looking for.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I've been running a little less than one year. My longest run was two weeks ago when I ran 13.1 miles on a training run (just to see if I could do it). I'm getting ready for my first half marathon next week. Lately I have been running 20-25 miles per week.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've been running since I was a sophomore in high school, which is...too many years to count (I'm 46).

However, after running track (badly) for one season in college, I was a casual runner, running maybe 15-20 miles per week. About 3 and a half years ago I joined a running group and started training for marathons and gradually built my mileage up. For the last 2.5 years I've averaged 50-70 miles per week.

My longest race so far has been a marathon (9 of them), but next year I plan on trying my hand at ultramarathons; I'm signed up for a 50-miler in March.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I ran here and there all my life but just got serious (consistent) about it 2 years ago.

I am up for 30 miles a week and have run several half marathons. I will start thinking about marathon when I can get my weekly miles up around 45 miles.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was a runner in high school, stopped for 12 years, and started up again 2 years ago. My "normal" runs are 3-12 miles, but I went longer during my marathon training and completed my marathon last month. Weekly mileage is between 25-30.

ETA: I'm not running much at the moment because I'm spending the fall/winter bulking. Will get back to running in the late winter/early spring.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 4 years and my favorite distance is the half marathon. My short mid-week runs range from 4-7 miles and long runs are 9-11 miles. I average between 20-25 miles a week.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been seriously running since march. I've done my first half marathon in september.

I went from not beening able to run a mile straight to my current shortest week night runs beeing around 3-4 miles and my long runs around 9 miles.

I run around 27 miles a week now but it will increase soon as I'll start training for a 30K race I'll be doing in march.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've been running since 2010. How far I run really depends on what I'm training for. Currently training for the Houston Marathon and will be in the 35-40 mile range this week.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    "Seriously" running since January. Was on- and off-again since 2010. Ran when I had to for Air Force fitness sessions since 2002.

When I started back up in January, I had 15 miles for the month. 30 for February. I'm trying to get to 150 this month and maintain that for the winter, and plan on upping it in February. I've got 800+ miles logged for the year, of which probably 90% of them are slow and easy running. Currently training for a few HMs in the spring, triathlons in the summer, and two FMs in the fall.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Running for a little over a year now (not counting running while I was an infantry Sgt in the 80's!). Weekly average around 35 miles and long runs between 13 and 20 miles, during marathon training. I have yet to run a marathon, but did use a marathon training program for a half (FIRST program). Currently getting ready for a 5K on Jan 1st, and a few weeks later will start getting ready for my first full in May.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Closing in on 1400 miles this year, should be able to reach 1500 easily. I've been running seriously since 1985 (28 years), got hooked on running with X-country. The running "love affair" became more serious in 1988, when I ran my first marathon. :glasses:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I started running in the spring of 2012 and completed my first race (half marathon) that summer. I did 2 more half marathons that fall and then signed up for my first marathon (May, 2013). So far in 2013, I've completed 3 marathons, three "official" half marathons (one of which was on a trail) and have a 35k trail run coming up. Next year, I'll be doing the Big Sur Marathon, potentially the SF Marathon and then hopefully the Skyline to Sea 50k trail run in the fall. Most weeks I run about 30 miles, more if I'm in peak training for a race. I have no idea how many miles I run monthly/annually/etc.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started running in HS. Started out on hurdles and found my comfort zone sprinting. You couldn't pay me to do distance then. In college I got lazy my freshman and sophmore year, but during my junior year I picked up running again. I would do lower mileage at that time. Running around the university's indoor track for 30-45 mins not really tracking mileage. In 2011 I started pushing my distances. I still have yet to run a 5k because my first race was a 10-miler in Sept. 2012 and followed by my first half marathon a month later. I've been hooked ever since and did 4 halfs and my first full marathons this year.

I currently keep my base at around 30-35 miles a week. It gets higher when I'm marathon training. Full marathons....I really don't train for half marathons anymore.....
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    am a newer runner, used to run a bit with a friend in about 2006 (I think?) and we did 5 and 10k events and I sort of enjoyed it but not enough to keep up with it when we stopped being friends, I don't know why I didn't think then about trying longer distances

anyway got more focused on it this summer, getting my own Garmin has been a massive help and I can see from the activity reports over the past 30 days that I currently average 27 miles a week, 5x a week (which is a surprise because I thought I ran around 4x a week between 20 and 25 miles, with a max of 10) and the median distance is 5.34 miles and the max is 15 - following Carson's advice I am now working on Project Consistency rather than my old slightly erratic approach

I joined a lunch running group which was a great opportunity to run with others for 2 or 3 miles which I like, am a pack animal, but they hardly ever want to go out now it is cold and wet and windy. I would rather just go out and run for the whole hour anyway.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Since Feb/Mar of 2010, so 3.5-ish years, with a couple of 2-3 month breaks for injury, surgery, etc. Generally at 40-50 per week now. My yearly totals as follows

2010: 249
    2011: 879
    2012: 1451
    2013: 1679 (so far, will probably hit 1850+ total)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been running consistently for 11+ years now.

I'm usually good for ~ 2,400 mile per year. This year will be low, I'm thinking ~ 2,200.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I was a runner in high school, I ran cross country and 400m in track. After high school I started training for the LA marathon but I got injured and stopped running for years. I picked up running again last year and have already completed a couple of 5ks, 10ks and currently training for my first Half Marathon.

My longest run was last weekend 10 mile run. I am older and smarted now and understand that I need to let my body heal if something does not feel right. The injury that stopped me from running for years was caused by me being young and thinking I was invisible.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    How far depends on the workout for the day. I have a coach so he makes my schedule.

I've been running for 5+ yrs. Total mileage for the year is around 1400 so far.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 18 months now. Average between 100 and 150 miles a month. Currently training for my first full marathon so I think the mileage will top out around 200 for the month of December. My short runs are 4 miles and my longest to date is 18. I'm at about 1250 miles for this year.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Running for over 10 years. Running daily for about 7 years. Average about 90 miles a week.