It's breaking my heart...

Options

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    *sigh* still no news on the selling front, but today, the owner was bragging about his "training methods" for a kid's pony that include thumbtacks in the bridle!
  • jumpthemoon
    jumpthemoon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    *sigh* still no news on the selling front, but today, the owner was bragging about his "training methods" for a kid's pony that include thumbtacks in the bridle!

That would be enough for me to report him! Hoping you get this lovely boy and AWAY from this man and his son. If you do purchase Jackson, DO NOT let the old owners know where he will be stabled. It sounds like you're doing everything to give this horse reassurance and gentle training and that's what he needs. He sounds terrified and it's scary to think an untrained person owns him, let alone jumping him without any training. Who knows if he's even vetted for that kind of event? Best of luck! Wish I could send some U.S. hay over to you....
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    What a mess you are having to deal with :-( Sure hope you get to buy him!!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Thanks, Jumpthemoon, but the hay situation has fortunately improved now...

Today I noticed that his shoes have now been on so long there are cracks developing around the nails and the clenches are standing proud. It's always something. Maybe I should make a list and report the owner. Grrr.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I take it back. It hasn't improved. Today, he was back to being terrified and aggressive - he bit me so hard it drew blood, then stood there shaking.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do hope you get a good result with this. Horses rely on us for their care and guidance. Hopefully he can view you as a friend rather than an enemy. What caused him to bite you? I hope it's not too painful. Keep trying we need people like you!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry ... for both you and Jackson. My first horse was a lease, Windy, a little gray gelding that had been starved and abused. It was a $25 a month lease when I was 17 (thanks Mom -- you changed my life!). Unfortunately, when a horse is leased, it's just "borrowed" and unless there is some type of contract, the lessor is out of luck. After spending months rehabilitating him, the owner returned to a happy, healthy horse ... took him from me and sold him. I pray you and Jackson fair far better than Windy and I ... :flowerforyou:
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think unfortunately you have 2 options with this horse:

1. Buy it from its owner asap, or
    2. Walk away before you get badly hurt.

As heartbreaking as it would be to walk away from this poor creature, you need to always be safe. And while he's being ruined by the owner, you can't be safe.

It is heart wrenching though, the poor poor horse.
  • RodeoRamsey
    RodeoRamsey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else but just want to add, if you do end up buying this horse, make sure you get a SIGNED BILL OF SALE. Preferably with a witness or two to the transaction. This seems to be the type of person who would come back a year later and try to accuse you of theft. Good luck!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Thanks, everyone - no reply from the owner yet, but at least he's settled a bit again.

I believe you're right, norrishbex, but it *is* heartbreaking. I feel all responsible for him now, and can't just abandon him to his fate.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I've had a long conversation with the barn owner yesterday, and it's insane how screwed up the priorities and dynamics in the horse owner's family are. They're highly toxic, and much as it would break my heart to lose the horse, I have to distance myself from them.

So I've just drafted a letter - trying to be as diplomatic as possible - asking them to sell, and saying that otherwise, I plan to quit riding their horse at the end of the month. I'm seriously starting to feel blackmailed by them.

Luckily, one of the other girls at the barn told me yesterday that she plans to buy a horse - a nice little cob that I've ridden before myself - but that she needs someone to share it. (I was quite flattered that she said I was the first and only person in the barn she'd want to share her horse!)

So if this letter backfires, at least I can stay around to keep an eye on the situation...
  • moss11
    Options
    Thanks for update! I was wondering how it was going! Hopefully you will be able to continue to support this horse with his troubled life!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Whew, so it's been quite a month, but at last, Jackson is mine, and next week, is moving to another stable where the old owners can't bother him anymore. :bigsmile:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    glad to hear Jackson is now your horse!! This is super exciting news!! I was worried after reading all this, that poor Jackson would end up at a slaughter house :(. I hope many long rides and great memories for you and Jackson!!
  • moss11
    Options
    That's great news. please keep us updated!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Thanks, everyone :)

He's settling in really well in the new stable. No spooking, no trying to barge over me on the ground, and he's nearly stopped door kicking. We even got a beautiful canter on the right rein today.

Most amazingly, he seems to have balanced himself out already! My right stirrup always felt shorter than the left. I swapped the leathers, but eventually ended up punching a half-hole in it to get them even. Now, the right one feels too long again. I always assumed my saddle was slightly crooked, but it seems to have been a tense horse!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Glad things are working out. Enjoy!
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! :)
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be happier for you and Jackson by the way. His situation has worried me, but now I know he's going to be just fine!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    So glad you got your boy safe in the end. I hope the new place helps him forget what he's been through and start to look forward to working with you again. Horses are sensitive souls but never usually nasty so I have every confidence you have a great future ahead of you.