How far do you run and how long have you been running?

Options

Replies

• rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 2 1/2 years now. It all depends on what I'm training for, but I tend to run anywhere from 3-5 days a week.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running for over 10 years. Running daily for about 7 years. Average about 90 miles a week.

Don't come crying to us when your uterus falls out!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Running for over 10 years. Running daily for about 7 years. Average about 90 miles a week.

WTF? Don't come crying to us when she beats you in a race.
  • mitchyinge
    Options

are you from 1952?
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've been running since the summer of 2012 (so about a year and a half). Since then I've worked my way up to about 25-35 miles per week, but am currently training for my first marathon in January, and so right now, I am at about 40 miles per week, and will get up to 45.

My weekday runs range from 3-8 miles, and my longest "long" run so far has been 18. I'll do 2, 20 milers before my marathon though!

I've been keeping track of my monthly and yearly mileage since 2013 started and I usually run about 115-140 miles/month, and am at just over 1500 for the year.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've been running since 2009. How far do I run on a regular basis? Well it depends on what I'm training for. In terms of races my progression has been: 2009 - half marathon, 2010 - full marathon, 2011 - 50 miler, 2013 - 100k. In 2014 I'm hoping to do my first hundred which, quite frankly, scares the pants off of me.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New runner- been just getting into running the past few months. Mid week runs are 3 or 4 miles. Though todays was 5! Long run- this week will be 6. That's the farthest I've ever done. Goal for this week is 17, gradually increasing mileage each week, i have my first half marathon scheduled in June.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've been running for almost 2 ½ years.

I started running on June 6, 2011 - after a 25 year lay off from all forms of exercise. I started losing weight in December 2010 but used the elliptical to save wear and tear on my knees. After three months of running, I was cured of my 30+ years of knee pain that forced me to stop playing basketball in college (they had no problem finding someone else to warm the bench!)

Frustrating thing for me is that when I was in my mid-20's, I ran 2 miles in 11:09 for my Army PT test. That's frustrating because I ran that time without training and I had quit smoking just three months prior to that particular run. Other folks at Officer Candidate School were faster, but that time indicates I had some speed which, like some of the other foolish things I've done in my life, I never tapped into it.

Back to 2012 - after a year of various, significant injuries in 2012 I've limited my weekly mileage to 25 this year*. That helped quite a bit as best I can tell since I've had only one significant injury in the past year.

My plan now is to up my mileage from 25 per week to the mid-30's +/-.

*I did some months with 99, 96, and 96 miles but never hit 100 miles in a month!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I began running on Labor Day 2011. My average run is around 5-8 miles and I average 35 miles a week (give or take). My mileage has been steadily increasing. I just completed a marathon and last week began training for a 50 mile Ultra. I expect my miles will increase dramatically. My mile total for this year is over 1,100 miles and I am hoping to make it to 1,400 before the year ends.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bunch of babies. I began running when I was about 21 years, which means I have been doing it for over 30 years!
    I run about 6-8 miles a time, average. I run about 3-4 times a week.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 16 months! I am regularly running 20-25 miles a week over 5 runs! My long run ranges from 7-10 but was up to 12.5 training for a half marathon! I plan on starting marathon training in a few months!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did not run as young person. The collective of parents, gym teachers and doctors wouldn't let me try because of asthma. Hogwash! I made several attempts to learn to run as an adult and it finally took in June of 2012. I ran 175 miles in 2012. So far for 2013 I'm at 742 and I did have to take a full month off this year due to pneumonia. I've run 4 half marathons with my longest training run being 16 miles. My week day runs are 2-5 miles and my long run is somewhere over 10. I do 12 a lot. I strive for 30 a week these days but can't always make it happen due to a hectic schedule.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    3 years. It depends on if I am training for a race or something. I guess 20-25 miles weekly. I've been up to 30 miles a week during marathon training. I run 4 times a week.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm impressed with you all. Thanks for sharing. :happy: I always like to know how long others have been at it and what their schedules look like.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started running in college to lose weight. That was back in 1997 and I've been running since. It was pretty consistent, just a few miles a day, a couple times a week. In 2011 I started getting serious about getting faster and improving my race times so I started training differently and running a lot more.

When I'm not training for something I average about 40-50 miles a week. This year I got up to about 60+ miles in a week for marathon training. By the end if the year I should be at about 2000 miles, my highest ever.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    -I started running in 2009, didn't take it seriously until 2011.
    -I've done 4 half marathons.

I run WAY more often in the spring/summer/fall than I do in the winter, generally. During those non-winter months I average anywhere between 20-30 miles a week. My average weekday runs range between 3-6 miles. My longer/weekend runs average 9-12 miles.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ive been running for 3 yrs. my longest distance race is 50 miles (I've done twice this year feb and oct), but during a week I generally run between 30-45 miles. :)
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    I started running about 4 years ago. I was very unfit and 20 lbs heavier than I am now, and so I started with a c25k type of program. after that initial challenge of simply being able to run 30 minutes without feeling like I was going to die, I was hooked and and soon moved on to 10k distances. Since 2011, I started upping my mileage considerably to about 30-35 mpw and trained for two half marathons. I only completed one though, as I suffered a bad case of ITBS right before the race (end of June 2013). After that, I took most of the summer off to rest my legs, get married and go traveling! Since September, I've been gradually getting back into it, and currently run about 20 mpw. :-)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

are you from 1952?

Lol... just got a 'little' obsessed with it after being out of shape in my second degree black belt grading. Had to improve the fitness. @Arc, It the amount of kicks and punches I've sustained below the belt hasn't done any harm to my uterus (and I'm still in awe of this) it would be quite ironic if a little running did it :-D
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

LMAO! That is awesome! I listen to the Another Mother Runner podcast and love their books. They have a t-shirt that says "Still Waiting for my Uterus to Fall Out." LOL

I was a runner in my 20s, daily about 5-8 miles or so. Then I stopped running for more than a decade. Like NO running at all. Ugh.

I started again with C25K this March. I finished in July, ran a 5K, started and completed C210K and ran a few more 5Ks. Now I'm in week 8 of a 10 week training plan for a 10K, but mostly to build a nice mileage base. Right now I'm running roughly 15-20 miles a week. I plan to start training for a half marathon when my 10K plan is done. I will probably do a half sometime in the spring/early summer 2014.