how to count breastfeeding/pumping calories?

Options
Hi ladies!
Just joined MFP today. Im 4 months post partum and the weight just won't come off (second kid). I am so glad to find this group b/c I am a little nervous to diet while nursing, but I just don't think I have a choice! I have no pants that fit...and I'm back at work with mine unbuttoned :(

So, how did you account for nursing/pumping calories? When I am at work, I nurse morning and evening and pump 2x a day. Baby only occasionally eats in the middle of the night so i'm not going to count that b/c its a small feeding, if at all. How should I account for those? When I am home with her on the weekends, I nurse her 5 times in 24 hours.

Thanks in advance!
-A

Replies

• lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my 3.5 month old is EBF (a big boy at about 18.5 lbs). He nurses 8-11 times a day. I add in -500 cals as food at breakfast. If you search breastfeeding, it is in the food database. I think for my little guy, I might need more than 500, but I am also new to this. (he is growing like a weed and looks more like an 8 month old.
  • whitters05
    whitters05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I put it as a -500 calories as cardio instead of as a food. But either as a food or exercise works the same! And BFing makes things difficult in the weight loss department it seems. While you do get the extra 500 calorie boost (which is great), I feel like I'm hungry all the time! And with a baby who demands constant attention and sleep deprivation, it's difficult to prepare healthy snacks and even harder to have the willpower to avoid the junk (oreos are my downfall and are no longer allowed in my house).

I've had pretty good luck with the post partum weight loss so far as long as I stick to 1 lb or less loss per week, drink lots of water, get in a bunch of protein and continue taking my prenatal. If I try to lose any more than 1 lb a week, forget my vitamin, don't eat enough protein or drink less water in a day I notice almost an instant decrease in supply.

So slow and steady seems to be key, at least for me! Good luck!
  • jilliannjie
    Options
    I counted my breastfeeding for about 1 month but felt I was cheating somehow. So I stopped instead continue my workout regiment. My son is now 8 months and I still breastfeed. However, I am the type to lose the baby weight after I've completed breastfeeding. so we'll see in about 4-5 months