How are You Controlling Your Weight and Cravings?

Options
So I'm sixteen weeks along, and I've already gained TEN pounds. Yikes. I work out, try to control cravings most of the time, and count calories. And yet I am unhappy with how much I've gained.

Any tips for controlling weight gain while pregnant, and controlling cravings? Much appreciated!

Replies

• kristensaav
    kristensaav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe your weight gain is mostly fluid. It sounds like you do everything the right way. I have learned after my first trimester to control cravings better. I just keep track in here and now if I want a craving I will have it but make sure I leave enough calories for it. I keep thinking that this is best for baby and myself. Maybe you won't gain as much in your second trimester. Good luck I know it is a hard transition!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I was lucky as most of my cravings were healthy--turkey sandwiches and apples! I gained 0 in the first trimester (I had fluctuations, but by the time I hit 14 weeks the gain was zero). From weeks 14-27 I gained 20 lbs. At week 27 I was diagnosed with GD and was advised to eat a couple hundred calories every 2-3 hours. Since then...from week 27-38+, I've gained less than 4 lbs...and they're not even sure if I actually have GD or if it was a false positive. But seeing my weight stabilize I decided to continue eating that way.

I do indulge nearly every day with half a chocolate bar. Just knowing I can have it--and treating myself to it--makes it not seem like much a craving. This is the same technique I used to lose weight, before I became pregnant.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gain a lot, when you think you're doing everything the right way. I've gained a lot in the 4th month and now my gain has slowed down. Mind you, at 23 weeks I'm up 8kg. Tracking my intake keeps me sane, because I know I haven't gone that much over it.

And with the luck I've had, I'm pretty sure I'll either develop GD or have such severe heart burn that I'll limit my food intake in 3rd trimester.

Right at the start of my second trimester, I just wanted to eat, including a high dosage of chocolate. I had bene so deprived during my first due to nausea. Cravings have sort of gone since (most of the time) and I try to only indulge when I can within my goals. If that is not possible and I really want it, I just indulge.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I know when I was gaining weight fast first pregnancy (I had lost weight, then gained it back by 20 weeks, then gained 2 lbs a week!) I had gestational diabetes. What really helped control the weight gain from there was a gestational diabetes diet. If you're concerned about weight gain you could try that to help? All it is is counting carbs.

Breakfast 15-30 grams of carbs
    Snack 15-30 g
    Lunch 30-45 g
    Snack 15-30 g
    Dinner 30-45 g
    Snack 15-30 g

Still got to eat a ton, but it really helped me (lost 3 lbs initially then SLOWLY and STEADILY gained weight) keep from packing on too much weight. I was told to make sure i was eating enough carbs, they're good for you. I was told to eat as much protein and fat as I wanted.

Second pregnancy, no GD, ate like crazy. Gained 5 lbs by 16 weeks, another 5 lbs by 20 weeks. From 20-41 weeks I gained another 36 lbs. Terrible! Should've stuck with my diet. Will do better this time around!

Good Luck!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Right at the start of my second trimester, I just wanted to eat, including a high dosage of chocolate.

OMG! This is so where I am right now! And all the halloween candy still being around isn't helping! Or maybe it is! I cannot get enough though! I treat myself to 3 fun size candies during my kid's nap, then eat a bowl of ice cream everything. It's going to add up quickly :( Need to remember I don't need to give into all cravings!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I know when I was gaining weight fast first pregnancy (I had lost weight, then gained it back by 20 weeks, then gained 2 lbs a week!) I had gestational diabetes. What really helped control the weight gain from there was a gestational diabetes diet. If you're concerned about weight gain you could try that to help? All it is is counting carbs.

Breakfast 15-30 grams of carbs
    Snack 15-30 g
    Lunch 30-45 g
    Snack 15-30 g
    Dinner 30-45 g
    Snack 15-30 g

Still got to eat a ton, but it really helped me (lost 3 lbs initially then SLOWLY and STEADILY gained weight) keep from packing on too much weight. I was told to make sure i was eating enough carbs, they're good for you. I was told to eat as much protein and fat as I wanted.

Second pregnancy, no GD, ate like crazy. Gained 5 lbs by 16 weeks, another 5 lbs by 20 weeks. From 20-41 weeks I gained another 36 lbs. Terrible! Should've stuck with my diet. Will do better this time around!

Good Luck!

^^Yes! This is essentially what I do. When I was diagnosed with GD I was angry (it was a borderline fail) and a lot of ladies from work told me that "if you handle it right, it's the best thing that'll happen to you as you'll control your weight gain and the baby's as well". I thought they were on crack. But it's amazing how great I feel on this. Per their advice...even though we're not even sure I have it (I can't fail a finger prick test if I try)...I've followed the plan religiously and fully intend to continue doing so after the kid is here.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad to have found this thread! I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and I've already gained 15 lbs! I'm trying not to freak out about it as I know that's bad for my tadpole - but eeek. It's what motivated me to come back to mfp and track. Hoping to get some good support from other mfp mommies =)
  • kristineevans12
    Options
    Some people gain more than others, everything in moderation if your exercising eating healthy then just enjoy the process if your doc is concerned they will check for gd I think there is a lot of pressure to not gain much throughout pregnancy when really as long as your not using it as an excuse to eat for 2 I would say relax, it doesn't help reading the weight gain thread with the I've only gained 2kg and I'm 40 weeks so I souls stay away from that one!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Some people gain more than others, everything in moderation if your exercising eating healthy then just enjoy the process if your doc is concerned they will check for gd I think there is a lot of pressure to not gain much throughout pregnancy when really as long as your not using it as an excuse to eat for 2 I would say relax, it doesn't help reading the weight gain thread with the I've only gained 2kg and I'm 40 weeks so I souls stay away from that one!

I think that the weight gain thread is going to attract people who are gaining very little, and higher gainers are less likely to post there, so don't use it as a guideline!

Personally, I just keep tracking away. Even when it's a horrifying mess of pastries and old halloween candy.

I am not a "listen to your body" person because my body wants delicious food every day, all day long. I try to choose foods high in nutrients and have some tea if I'm feel snacky but not hungry. I gained 50-60lbs for my first two pregnancies and am on track to have a 15-25lb gain this time, so I'm not restricting or anything... but sometimes you suck it up and don't eat. Or go to bed early. We need the sleep and can't eat if we're snoring, right? win win.
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I gained quickly at first, too. This was not the case with my first boy, so I was totally thrown off since this go around I had been working out consistently and eating pretty well (we are talking egg whites and veggies!). I was around 10 lbs by the first trimester and gaining steady from their on out.

Also, no matter what the scale was saying, my measurements were not that crazy (I would stick to those for a bit if the scale stresses you out...let your dr worry about your actual weight). By Week 26 or 27 I was in the same range as a lot of ladies who were supposed to gain the 25-35, just like I was (where as before, I was flying past them in weight gain). When some were putting on 2-3 a week, I was gaining only 1-2 a month. So everyone is different and gains at different rates. I am a bit over 35 weeks and have put on 28 lbs. A bit more than I want but not all that bad. I can still get my butt in my jeans, so that's a win!

Just stick to eating well, for the most part and try to stay active. If you are starving, eat an apple & peanut butter with a little string cheese on the side. Upping your protein a bit will help with cravings too :). And if you want a piece of candy, do it...just not the whole bag :)

congrats!
  • Jem411
    Options

I think that the weight gain thread is going to attract people who are gaining very little, and higher gainers are less likely to post there, so don't use it as a guideline!

THIS!! I got pretty depressed at first seeing the super low numbers. The biggest thing...don't compare yourself to anyone but you. You know if you are getting crazy with cals and you also know if you are doing your best. BUT if you are bored and you go back to the beginning of the thread (when it was created), there were a ton of ladies that were gaining in the normal weight range. :)
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options

THIS!! I got pretty depressed at first seeing the super low numbers. The biggest thing...don't compare yourself to anyone but you. You know if you are getting crazy with cals and you also know if you are doing your best. BUT if you are bored and you go back to the beginning of the thread (when it was created), there were a ton of ladies that were gaining in the normal weight range. :)

I couldn't agree with you more. Despite eating fairly healthy and working out 4-5 days a week, I gained about 17 lbs in my 2nd Trimester. Now at 31 weeks and 2 months left i only gained another lb. I basically maintained my weight for about a month and i am now slowly gaining about a half a lb. a week. As of today, end of week 31 i am up 20 lbs. I believe that everyone is different and gains weight differently. As long as you are eating healthy/ staying within your calorie goals and keeping yourself as active as possible, you will be fine. Wishing everyone lots of luck and a healthy pregnancy1
  • ehimay10ins
    ehimay10ins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i'm happy i found this thread, ive been beating myself up over the weekend.

here is a bit of history
    pregnancy #1 - gained 50 lbs - i was 2 weeks early
    pregnancy #2 - gained 48 lbs - on time
    pregnancy #3 - gained 25 lbs - 3 weeks early

now with pregnancy #4, i'm 16 weeks and i've gained something like 12 lbs already. I basically gained 9 lbs in the last month.

I've spent the last month giving into my cereal craving, flew to NY (i think the flying is still in my system - it totally messes me up) and ate crazy there. I've been eating out a lot to deal with my stress. Basically i've had horrible eating habits over the last month.

I think that if I get back on track this month, then by my next appointment I wouldnt be surprised to see something like 0-2 lb of weight gain.

i dont know what to do with my need to have 6 bowls of cereal a day.
    i am also trying to figure out what are good choices for me as snacks that dont require too much preparation.
  • Jem411
    Options
    :happy:

I think that if I get back on track this month, then by my next appointment I wouldnt be surprised to see something like 0-2 lb of weight gain.

i dont know what to do with my need to have 6 bowls of cereal a day.
    i am also trying to figure out what are good choices for me as snacks that dont require too much preparation.

Totally do-able. I was only gaining around 2 lbs a month during the time when my Dr. said I would put on a lot (I was all backwards by gaining a ton in the beginning).

I too have had my share of cravings! Mine has been bagels (which is something I normally would never touch). So what I have been doing is finding a variation. I buy the mini bagels and get the 100% whole wheat, have one of those with some lower fat cream cheese and my craving is satisfied. Getting creative to "modify" some of the cravings is what saved me, I think.