Goals

Options

Replies

• julie_emma1
    Options
    My ultimate PR goal is a sub 2:00 half. My ultimate distance goal is a full marathon...maybe I will achieve one (or both!!) in 2014. My short term goal is simply to gradually increase my mpw without getting injured haha. I've trained too hard, too fast in the past, so I'm trying to build up more gently this time around :-)
  • freckles369
    Options
    I just completed my 5th half and got a PB of 1:52:32, knocked 2 minutes off last year. My goals for next year are to get a sub 25 minute 5km, closest is 25:06 and I have entered my first marathon, Amsterdam in October. My time goal is 4 1/2 hrs but I don't know if that is realistic. The furthest I have ever run is just over 15 miles. The goal is to finish really. Excited & nervous about doing the full distance!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am loving reading about everyone's goals! Super interesting. For the upcoming year mine are a 23 minute 5k, a 50 minute 10k, a 1:50 half and a sub 4 marathon. I also want to do my first Tri this spring. My long term goal is to BQ, maybe I'll make it after I'm 40 and the time limit is a little easier. And my long long long term goal is complete an Ironman.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mine is also to qualify for Boston in 2014. Run Boston in 2015.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy with completing any one of those:

-running a sub 2:00 half
    -running a full (no time)
    -running a 25:00 5K
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for a sub 2 hour half! Doing two in the spring, so I have a couple of chances. Andddddd I have been researching marathons a bit... as someone who never thought she would run a race, much less a half marathon, I am still not sure about tackling that, but am thinking about it for the first time ever!

That's awesome. Good luck as I am aiming for the same goal. I was the same way about running, heck I could barely run 1/2 a mile without feeling like I was going to pass out. I always wanted to run a marathon and finally have. Anything is possible! :)
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    The only goal I have right now is a sub 2 half. Got so close on 3 of my halves this year (2:02 in May 2:00:36 in June and 2:00:32 in September) just can't seem to break the 2 hour mark. But gunning for it this spring! I ran my first full in October, so I'm going to sit on that for awhile. No more of those for awhile ;)

Good luck! You are soo close! I have the same goal, but I'm not as close as you. Congrats on finishing your first full marathon!
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    2014:

1. Run my first Half Marathon ( time is not an issue I just want to finish)
    2. Run Disney Half Marathon
    3. Go back and run the 5k that got me back into running and see how much I have improved.
    4. Go back and run the same 10k again and finish under an hour.
    5. Get more medals :)

Awesome goals. I wish I had the funds to do the Disney Half and wasn't so far away!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great Thread, my goals are, Re run the 10k I ran last Jan in 1:18 and go under 55min. Run a half in March under 2 and in April run in the London Marathon sub 5 or (because they are both on the same day) walk/jog 100k to qualify for the 100 miles walk/jog in 2015.
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    I just completed my 5th half and got a PB of 1:52:32, knocked 2 minutes off last year. My goals for next year are to get a sub 25 minute 5km, closest is 25:06 and I have entered my first marathon, Amsterdam in October. My time goal is 4 1/2 hrs but I don't know if that is realistic. The furthest I have ever run is just over 15 miles. The goal is to finish really. Excited & nervous about doing the full distance!

I went into my first full marathon with a time goal and didn't hit it. You're goal is reasonable, but as long as your main goal is to finish, the time won't matter as much.
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    It seems many of us have the same goal of running a sub 2 hour half marathon. Cheers to everyone, happy training and good luck reaching our goals. I'm always looking for new friends so add me if you feel inclined. :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    My goals for 2013 were - PR all distances (done) and run my 2nd marathon (done, 19 days ago).

2014 goals -
    sub 2 hr half
    marathon #3
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    2013 goals
    enjoy running and keep fit - check
    5k under 23 - race is next week

2014 Goals -
    Enjoy running and keep fit and healthy
    Get my wife running again
    Get my 3 kids running routinely
    Run my first half marathon race
    Run first marathon race
    10k under 50 min
    5k under 22 min
    Run 1200 miles mostly outside
    Pick an ultra race for 2015
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    2013: finish my first triathlon; run my first half; run that half in under 2 hours - DONE, DONE and DONE
    2014: improve my time on a tri; run a half in 1:55; try for sub-25 5k but don't sweat it
    2015-16: run my first full
    2017 (the big 4-0): run the Paris to Versailles 16k with friends
    2017+: BQ (LOTS of work to do!!!)

ETA - I am very, very motivated by pace. :laugh: It's so interesting to see what makes other runners run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy with completing any one of those:

-running a sub 2:00 half
    -running a full (no time)
    -running a 25:00 5K

We'll probably be latched onto the same pace bunny next May!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't really have pace goals because I'm trying very hard to make it all about the running and not about competition as to how fast I go. I have so much in my life that is about winning and competition that I want running to be my selfish "all about me" thing.

This is the first time I'm writing this down: I am going to run a half marathon in 2014 and finish it running. There. Now it's there in black and white. I just have to pick a race and go for it.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It would be cool to run another half marathon in under 2 hours.... just once. My first one I held back a lot and had plenty of juice left to kick in at the end. I need to really focus on intervals and finding the right pace.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't see my pace-driven running as competitive. I think that's something some IRL friends misunderstand... I'm driven to improve against myself, and that's it. No middle of the pack runner has any reason to ever really worry about "competing" - around here, even if I end up meeting my dream of BQing someday, I still probably won't win my age group that often. :laugh: I have never even placed in my age group, and I'm not really concerned with doing so. I just want to improve. Same with lifting - I don't ever plan to compete, but I love seeing myself get stronger!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    2013: finish my first triathlon; run my first half; run that half in under 2 hours - DONE, DONE and DONE
    2014: improve my time on a tri; run a half in 1:55; try for sub-25 5k but don't sweat it
    2015-16: run my first full
    2017 (the big 4-0): run the Paris to Versailles 16k with friends
    2017+: BQ (LOTS of work to do!!!)

ETA - I am very, very motivated by pace. :laugh: It's so interesting to see what makes other runners run.

I think that Paris to Versailles run will get my wife running again :drinker:
    Great list. Good luck.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    get back into running and do another marathon I guess, such a shame that it takes so long away from family so I guess to run quicker, I doubt I will ever go above 26. miles now, I was surprised to get that far