How often?

Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Hello, I'm a newbie. How often do you go to crossfit? I have been going twice a week (mostly because I'm so sore, but that is starting to subside.) I had a groupon and tried the box I'm at, but I am 99% certain I'm going to change to another one. The current one does not have a ramp up program and one instructor is awesome, the other one shows up. My point there is not really much guidance on how often I should be shooting for,

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    I go 6x a week...sometimes I do 2 wods in a day...but I'm training for something.

I think most people do wods 4-5x a week
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    I go 4x a week and I am quite happy with that. I used to go to a regular gym 6x a week and I feel like I am getting a better workout now than I used to.

Overall, I think you should start at 2x a week and move up only as you are comfortable. Don't let other people set the standard for your body. Also, make sure you get plenty of rest.

Good luck!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    I've been going 3x a week since July, but I'm 100 lbs overweight and my body needed plenty of rest days in between to recover. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to start either going more or incorporating other exercise on my non-CF days. Have fun!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    I five days a week for about 1.5 hours per workout. I do take one rest day from crossfit midweek because am finding that my wrists, elbows, and shoulders cannot take that type of intensity for a full week. <--I speculate that the reason I'm hurting is because I still am working on technique.

Good luck with finding a good box.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Hello, I'm a newbie. How often do you go to crossfit? I have been going twice a week (mostly because I'm so sore, but that is starting to subside.) I had a groupon and tried the box I'm at, but I am 99% certain I'm going to change to another one. The current one does not have a ramp up program and one instructor is awesome, the other one shows up. My point there is not really much guidance on how often I should be shooting for,

The original recommendation by CrossFit Headquarters is 3 days on/1 day off, repeat. Of course since most of us don't have 8 day weeks and our boxes are typically closed on Sundays, CFHQ also recommends 3 days on/1 day off then 2 days on/1 day off. Also, the older you get, the more rest that you will need.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    3x/week, and I run once or twice a week and maybe do a slow paced walk with my wife. Adding in some ancillary work to help prep for a competition so call it one and a half to two hours per session. Warmup, strength work, WOD, a bit of extra work, mobility (for me hips and shoulders/rack position)

WHen I started I was sore all the time. Now I find my body responds pretty quickly unless we do something really hard (Hero WOD or something like that)
  • denniskillz
    denniskillz Posts: 62 Member
    I go 6 days a week but do WOD's only on 5 days, the one day in between I work only on skill and techniques and things I am weak in.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    I try to be active 6 days out of the week. Sunday is almost always the day that I rest. I've done the 2 a day thing and it's okay, but I'm not a fan. Instead, I usually do the WOD and then heavy lifting work and if I feel like it afterwards some skill work on things that are weaknesses for me. If I can't make it to the box, I go to the student rec center and run the track or if free weights are available I do form work. Saturdays I try to go to the morning WOD and then head straight to job #2 at the ChickfilA I work at and am on my feet the rest of the day. I have had to work up to this level of activity, but just start by doing one thing and then add in other things as you are physically able to.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Thank you for your input! I have through Thanksgiving at my current box and then I will be starting 12/2 at a new one. Their ramp up program is 3 times a week, for 3 weeks. If I can ever get my plantar fascias (Sp?) to die down I would go back to running some.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    I do 6 WOD sessions a week, plus 1 olympic lifting/strength session. I always have 1-2 rest days, so some days I go twice. I'm not training for anything in particular, I just do it so often coz I genuinely love it.
  • bostonwolf
    That's fantastic. I don't believe I could keep that pace without getting hurt. I go 3x/week and I'm starting to add in some extra work. I also run 5ks pretty regularly so I like to run twice a week when I can though lately it's been more like once a week.
  • bostonwolf
    Thank you for your input! I have through Thanksgiving at my current box and then I will be starting 12/2 at a new one. Their ramp up program is 3 times a week, for 3 weeks. If I can ever get my plantar fascias (Sp?) to die down I would go back to running some.

Just rest it. Ask your coaches for some things you can do to help. From memory (my ex-wife had it) she slept in a boot to keep her foot at 90 degrees.

Lay in your bed face down with the foot just off the end and pull it up into the bed.

Self-massage the bottom of your foot with a golf ball and practice picking it up with your toes.

Good luck and I hope it doesn't interfere with CF. What you also might find too is that the PF is a symptom of something going on in your hips or back that CF is going to strengthen. I've had a few chronic pains just disappear after 4 months of CF.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    I typically go and do WODs 5 days a week, use one day for active recovery (slow swim, yoga, easy run...) and one day totally off for rest and recovery. In a couple of days, I should be able to add XC skiing in a few days a week, too, which I'll transition to running again in the spring.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Just getting started with CrossFit but at my old gym I was going 5 days a week to small group training. With CF I'm still looking at 5 days, M-W, F & Sa with rest on Thursday (makeup/goat day at the box) and Sunday (no class). I'm also taking advantage of yoga at the gym on Saturday's after CF to help with flexibility. So far it's been just a week and it's working out well.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    A month in and we do 3 on and 1 off, 2 on and 1 off and I've been getting there 3-5 days a week, but definitely making sure i'm there mon, wed and fri. They do open gym often too and it's programmed well that it's not like we're overdoing certain muscle groups and get enough rest between.
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    I just finished on ramp amd I plan to continue at three times a week. I am a believer in rest days - I think they are healthy and reduce the chance of injury. (Note, rest days don't mean be a couch potato, but they do mean not an intense workout IMO)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    I am currently going 3 times a week and sometimes a 4th. Been at the same box for over a year and a half.

As a triathlete, I also like to mix in some cycling, running and swimiming. Since winter has arrived in New England (NH to specific), it will be more spinning, swimming and some running done on a "dreadmill"
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    In my third week now and I am going 3x a week. I may later go 4x, but I don't see myself going anymore than that.