Why is my weight loss so slow?????

Options
Hello VSGers!
I am hoping to get anyone to give me some insight about why my loss is so slow? Is this normal? I was sleeved on Sept 9th and here has been my loss so far.

Week 1 - 12.8 pounds (super awesome)
Week 2 - gained 1 pound (understandable)
Week 3 - 3.8
Week 4 - .6 (there is a point in front of that 6)
Week 5 - 2.2
Week 6 - .6 (there is a point in front of that 6)
Week 7 - 3
Week 8 - .4 (there is a point in front of that 4)

If I take week 1 out, which was obviously a fluke - I am averaging 1.4 pound loss per week. Seriously? That's basically worse than weight watchers. I could have done that one on my own with as much as I'm working out! Is anyone else having this issue? What am I doing wrong? I still have 100 pounds to lose, and I'm afraid I'm never going to get there at this rate.

As far as eating, I am pretty consistently getting 60 grams of protein per week. Eating around 800 calories. I am exercising religiously (Zumba 2x per week and training to run a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving). I probably don't get as much water as I should be getting. That's the only thing I can think of. Can someone share some wisdom here?

Replies

• Rief3
    Rief3 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Your body needs the fluids, make sure to get that water in!!! Also if you can handle more I would talk to your "nut" about upping you calories if you are working out a lot. How many calories are you burning compared to how many calories you are taking in? Your body needs energy to burn energy. That was a real hard one for me to understand, mind frame eat less, burn more then you should lose more.....wrong your body goes into starvation mode. But I suggest you speak to Dr. or "nut". Also you have to stay positive, you are losing every week. Look at your weight lose you have a pattern, and in 2 months you lost 22.4 pounds!!!!!
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Hi Rief - thanks for the FR. In the past 5 days, my average burn has been 396 calories from my run / walk program. When I have zumba in the mix, it goes up to about 700 calories per workout. I am definitely burning a lot. I am going to work on my water this week and see what happens.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I am at 18 months post surgery and my losses have been very slow also. Here are a couple of things to think about.
    1. Yes.....hydration is IMPORTANT you should get at minimum 80oz per day of water (I don't count coffee milk, etc.)
    2. Strength training.......start as soon as you can. Building muscle will help you in soooooo many ways. I wish I realized how important this was early on.
    3. If you have yoyo dieted or had previous large weight losses it will effect the rate that you lose.
    4. I would check the box in your diary to track carbs...........do some research on low carb diets. Most big losers track and minimize carbs in their diet. You will have to play with this to see what works for you. I personally can not lose if I have more than about 60 net carbs per day and function best around 40.
    5. Lastly I know how hard it is (trust me on this) but try not to compare yourself to other peoples losses. Everyone is sooooo different. What we see is a very small portion of the big picture in WLS world. I think you fall in the range of normal losses. 34 Lbs in 2 months is FANTASTIC! VSG is not necessarily a quick loss tool/surgery but it is a long term one if you continue to use it.

There is nothing wrong with slow and steady. Keep moving forward and you will continue to lose but your body will dictate the pace.You can PM me if you have questions. You got this!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try upping your water intake and increase protein, I am getting 110+ day. Make sure your Fat and Sugar intake is very low. You want your body to burn off stored calories not what you are eating. The body burns in this order: simple sugar, complex sugar, carbohydrates, fats and protein. It needs to break everything down to simple sugar for use as fuel. Thats why we eat heavy protein (which is the hardest for the body to break down). If you ingest sugars or fats the body will go there first and not burn of the stored fats. Good luck.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Hi Renee and Ronnie - thanks for your questions and insights. I just looked at my average carbs for the last 7 days. I am around 88 carbs per day. Maybe I will try to focus on lowering carbs, increasing protein and increasing water for this week. Thanks for your advice!
  • teachren
    Options
    Just thought I'd chime in on the low carb thing too. I totally agree with the suggestions of the above few posters.

I was sleeved in May 13th so I am coming up on my 6 month surgiversary. I have lost 100 lbs...but am now slowing down (unfortunately) and still would like to lose about 35 more.

I do think sticking to the low carb..under 40g and majority of the days under 30g, around 20g fat, 80 g fat and 650 calories worked for me. I find when I upped my carbs too much I felt hungrier and subsequently fed that hunger. Most of the people I know sleeved around that time have lost around 100 pounds or more. The majority have stuck to the above plan that the veterans on the OH website, and my surgeon fully support.

Now..that being said...I must admit I'm super frustrated that I'm just plodding along at this point. But I do think that is normal for where I am in the process.

It gets easy to compare yourself to all the other stories on the sites...remember it's your journey. Try to change up a few things to see if it kick starts things but rest assured the weight will come off! :-)

Good luck

Renee
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is all really good advice. I am benefiting from it too. I am 3 months and a day out and have been at 54lbs for mores than a month now and have not moved. I thought it was because I am retaining fluid and swelling in the ankles and feet. For the past few days I have switched back to liquid diet and one solid meal, back to shakes, yogurt, broth then I eat dinner with my family. I haven't weighed yet to see if this changes anything my official weigh in date isn't until tomorrow. I'm trying to shake my body up a bit to see if I can shock it back to losing. Marge, you are doing great and like everyone says, each journey is different and your journey will be successful. If you're like me you expected more by now and it's disappointing when you don't see the results, but we can encourage each other to keep motivated. Good luck.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Thanks Shon and Renee - I really do think I need to take a look at my carbs. I did a big running workout tonight and all I wanted when I got home was a wasa crisp bread! Maybe my body is craving it because I've been having too much. I am going to try to cut those back! I really appreciate all the support and advice from you guys!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You said you are getting 60 g of protein per week....I hope you meant to say per day. that is my minimum, goal is 80-100 but I am 8 mths out. I was at a goal of 60/day when I was where you are.