Restricting salt for horses?

Options
Okapi42
Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
Hi all, since I'm a first-time horse owner and it's a steep learning curve, I thought I'd ask some people with more experience...

Since I've moved Jack to a new stable, and have been the only person taking care of him, I've noticed that he pees a *lot*. Like a racehorse, in fact. The moment he stands on something soft after riding, there he goes (he's always done that), and his bedding is always soaking.

He also drinks a lot. If he sees me coming with the saddle, he'll turn around and take an extra drink first just in case, which he didn't do before.

Now, he might simply not be settled in properly yet, but the other thing that's different is that he now has a salt lick, which he didn't have access to before. He loves it. I'm wondering whether he loves it just a little too much, or whether he's just replenishing minerals he was doing without for too long.

Any ideas? Should I restrict his access?

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    We have always provided plain white salt blocks for our horses, in addition to putting a tablespoon or so of salt in their daily beet pulp/alfalfa pellet mashes. Horses need salt, usually more than they can get by just licking a salt block, so unless Jackson is eating a 4 lb. block in a week, he's probably ok and making up for being deprived. The paddock mate of one of my horses spends a lot of time licking the salt block, but I seldom see mine working on it (unfortunately, he won't eat his mash if he tastes very much salt in it--picky, picky eater!) Don't get a red salt block, in the US they have iron in them, which horses don't need supplemented. If after a few weeks, you think he still has an unhealthy fixation on the salt block, you can remove it and and add loose salt to his feed ration.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd rather my horse drank too much than not enough. That being said, salt licks are often not a complete mineral/vitamin supplement, so you might be better off giving him a balanced supplement as well. Might find that then he's getting all the stuff he's deficient in, and won't be hitting the lick quite as hard.
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I JUST read an article today in Western Horseman about the importance of salt in a horse's diet. Horses are not affected by salt like humans, so a horse eating a lot of salt is not going to retain more water or get high blood pressure like a person would. And I agree that I'd rather a horse drink too much than not enough, espeically during this time of transition for him! The article suggested adding a tablespoon or two to a horses feed every day in the winter to ensure adequate water intake.

I think too maybe he's enjoying the access and partaking more than he will once the novelty is worn off. And the vitamin supplement may be a good idea too, he may be trying to make up for something else? I never supplemented regularly and then my vet just talked me into a multivitamin and mineral supplement about a year ago, and sure enough both my boys have shinier winter coats this year.

Or maybe you're just watching him more and noticing his habits since you're the mommy in charge now? Nugget hates to ride with a full bladder, and if he knows I'm coming to get him he always heads to his pee spot before he puts his nose in the halter to go for a ride. Lots of drinking and peeing can be a sign of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance, but if he's not cresty or overweight it's probably not the issue.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Is it possible he's been doing this all along but it wasn't as noticeable as you had others helping with is care? I have an ex-racehorse who is obsessed with peeing in her stall. Seriously, the stall is open and she has free access to come and go, but she always pees inside. When I clean the stall, the first thing she does is come in and pee. She does the same thing before each feeding. I wonder sometimes where it all comes from! I guess my point is that this may just be completely normal for your horse.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Yes, I might just be suffering from new mum syndrome - but thanks, you've all reassured me that salt doesn't have the same effect on horses! He's healthy and glossy and his hooves are great according to the farrier, but I'll look into supplements anyway. Can't be too careful. The vet is coming out on Friday to do his microchip/passport, will ask him then...
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are feeding a commercial horse feed like Purina's Omolene 100 or some other complete feed, than the vitamins and minerals and salt should be adequate for his needs. If you are feeding the recommended amount for his activity level.

If you are feeding your own recipe, than I recommend that you supplement with a complete mineral free choice or mix in with the feed according to the recommendations on the bag.

I am not a fan of salt block because they'll have to wear out two tongues to get enough for their needs, loose salt in a bunk in a pasture situation is adequate in addition to their feed, but if they are stabled, they should only get what you put in the ration. They get to where they are like people and just eat or lick because they are bored.

Horses tend to crib and become bored in stable environments and if you feel like he is consuming too much or becoming fixated on the salt block, then you may consider putting a ball or some type of toy in the stall to keep them entertained and remove the salt block.

The type of hay you are feeding and its fiber content can also impact their consumption of water and minerals. I wouldn't worry about the water consumption. It would take a tanker truck to over hydrate a 1200 lb. animal. Plus they need it for proper digestion or forages.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Thanks, nice to hear from a pro!

At the moment, he's on a bit of calm & condition mix with a few handfuls of high-oil chaff thrown in, but mostly, he eats haylage. The salt lick obsession has eased, but the vet says it won't do him any harm, just means I have to muck out more...

He's turned out half the day in a herd, anyway; they just haven't got enough winter paddocks for full turnout. And they're fed 4x a day, so boredom usually isn't a problem.
  • cuppsc
    cuppsc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a horse that started urinating a lot and I was feeding him omolene. I even took him to the vet and he didn't find anything wrong with him. I finally figured out it was the feed. I took him off omolene and the problem was solved.
  • setemupjohn
    setemupjohn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should never restrict a horse's salt unless they do not have access to water, such as a long ship in which case you should remove their salt from their diet the day or two before you ship out.

You cannot overfeed salt as it can be peed out. This being said the horses will need water to get rid of excess salt. But another interesting aspect to salt is if you feed enough (which most people think is A LOT) the horse with pee less. I have fixed the 'over peer' many times with feeding more salt. Yes they will drink more but salt dehydrates the cells causing them to search out more water. Many over peers are actually dehydrated horses which drink and drink only to pee it out with no hydration.

This part will hard for you to convince yourself to do. Feed your horse more salt. And as said above horses cannot get enough salt off salt blocks. They were designed for cattle with rough tongues and who can salivate by licking. Horses have smooth tongues and only salivate by chewing so they cannot get anywhere near enough salt. Feed loose salt. You can feed it free choice as suggested above in a cover bin (say in a run in) or fed directly into the feed. Now trust me when I say this , start with 1/4 cup of salt for a horse that doesn't work, keep upping it as their work load increases (they sweat it out and need more). You can feed a whole cup if you would like! Like I said, as long as they have water you will not hurt their kidneys.

Complete feeds will have some salt in them but not enough for them. This is a false idea. They may or may not have your macro and micro minerals and vitamins in them, all pending the brand. If they do not have everything you can feed a ration balanacer but again this will not have your salt in it. Salt must be fed!! Ask for loose salt, stock salt or mixing salt, all depending where you by your feed. A mainly dairy feed mill will know it as mixing salt, more horse friendly places will know what you are asking when you say loose or stock salt.

The best thing you can do is get a sales rep out from the brand you buy. Most will give you a free body score on your horse and teach you what to look for, and tell you what your balanced ration should be. Often times if you are using their feed they will not try to sell you on feed you don't need, just feed you are using and teach you how to feed it properly.

Good luck!