Finding Jeans

Options
Nierikah
Nierikah Posts: 22 Member
As a short girl, this has been a terrible problem finding jeans (or most pants for that matter) that aren't made for an amazon. Nothing against my taller sisters, its just frustrating that I have to tailor all my pants.

This is especially troublesome for me as I tend to carry my extra weight around my hips and a wider hip/waist band means longer legs...

Anyone know a good brand that's easier to slip into?

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I have to either by jeans that have a short option or buy ankle jeans/crops. Old navy has crops that fit my legs and Target has some ankle ones out right now. I also have been known to go to the girls section for the 14/16 jeans now that I am at goal weight.
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop at thrift stores, as I find that most new clothing shrinks horribly in the wash. At least when I buy from a thrift shop, I know that the pants have been through the wash and will not shrink to capri length. And as an added bonus, if they fit in the thrift shop, I know the length is right for my height. No tailoring bills for me. :)
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Look in Kohl's petite section. I'm 4'11" and that's the only place I can find jeans that fit AND flatter. No hemming, no shrinking, just buy them and wear them.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find "petite" jeans or when all else fails, my mother in law lives with me. She has an industrial sewing machine and can hem my pants quick.
  • Catiejoy27
    Catiejoy27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Even petites are too long for me as I am only 4' 9" I saw a really easy tutorial on hemming jeans.
    You turn up the hem to where they should be , sew right along the finished edge and then trim, haven't tried it, but it is worth a google
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Even petites are too long for me as I am only 4' 9" I saw a really easy tutorial on hemming jeans.
    You turn up the hem to where they should be , sew right along the finished edge and then trim, haven't tried it, but it is worth a google

Usually my mother in law just has me roll up the cuff the amount of times I need it. She'll fold it under that many times and sew around the bottom. That way I can undo the hem if I need to give them to a tall friend! LOL!
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have been in a pant size anywhere from a 9/10 at my heaviest to current size 0. I have found that Maurices is the place for me to buy dress pants and jeans. They have short sizes and xtra short. They seem to be the best fit for my short size.
  • Nierikah
    Options
    Size 0?? Wow, I would love to be that small. I'm not familiar with Maurices though. Is that a chain? I'm in Texas.
  • Nierikah
    Options
    I tend to shop at thrift stores, as I find that most new clothing shrinks horribly in the wash. At least when I buy from a thrift shop, I know that the pants have been through the wash and will not shrink to capri length. And as an added bonus, if they fit in the thrift shop, I know the length is right for my height. No tailoring bills for me. :)

That is actually a pretty good idea! I didn't think of that. I guess being in the thrift shop they'dve already been washed, too.
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered to buy brand new clothing when I'm still in the process of losing weight. I would have had to do 6 complete wardrobe changes in two years.

I lucked out that my sister also lost a lot of weight and gave me her size 8 clothing which was too big for her. I'm actually wearing a pair of her jeans now. :)
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Size 0?? Wow, I would love to be that small. I'm not familiar with Maurices though. Is that a chain? I'm in Texas.

Yes Maurices is a chain. they have a website too that you can order from if you don't have one in your area. Great with returns too if you don't like the size or style.
  • Joleca
    Joleca Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Costco carries Gloria Vanderbilt jeans and sometimes you can find them in "short".. they do shrink a bit and for the most the length is pretty good for me.. I'm 4' 11"
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Kohl's petite section, or Old Navy short length jeans. I was scared of skinny jeans for a long time, but at least when I wear them I am not stepping on the hems!