Disney Marathon vs. other marathons

Question - I am running in the Walt Disney World Marathon as my first marathon on January 12th, and have been a little disappointed with a few things. Just wondering if this is a Disney thing or if all marathon's are like this:

1. I'm about 6 weeks out from the marathon date and they still don't have any course information posted online. No maps, no elevation profiles. Nothing. Seems a little weird to me.

2. I just found out that they will only have gels at miles 15.4 and 19.4. Does that seem a little light to anyone else? I'm going to bring my own anyways, but all of the gel packets say to start fueling 45 minutes in. On my training runs, I've started fueling at about mile 8. Waiting until mile 15 is going to be like 2 1/2 hours into the race.

3. The run disney website to make hotel reservations has been crap...and they say you get a discount for running the marathon, but you really don't.

4. They want $52/person for the "Pasta in the Park Party"...REALLY???

Don't get me wrong, I am really excited about my trip, I just expected a lot more out of Disney!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Have you tried calling them? I've never done a Disney running event or a marathon for that matter, but all of my experiences with Disney have been exceptional.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    1. Not normal. All the marathons I've registered for have had course maps and elevations up basically as soon as registration for the race opened. I would also find it odd that this information is missing. But, since this run is happening in Florida, elevation won't really be a concern (as states go, it's pretty flat) and you know it'll be 26.2 miles :-).

2. You know, I've never, ever accepted gels from race organizers, but that doesn't seem totally abnormal. Usually half marathons offer up something around the 8/9 mile mark, so I would expect something a little sooner - but really, just carry what you know works for you and plan on using those, especially earlier if that's how you're training.

3. That's definitely Disney-specific; sorry that's been frustrating :-(

4. Is the pasta made from gold? I've actually heard wonderful things about Disney racing events, but I've never heard anyone call them a bargain!

I'm sure you'll have a great time; can't wait to see what your finisher medal looks like.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I have never run a Disney event but from what I have been told they are among the best run and organized events out there. I am surprised that there is not course information on the website, that leads me to believe they are still finalizing the course.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    I'm running Disney too!!! If you want to really be pampered you should just travel further south to Jamaica and do the Reggae Marathon (I'm doing it). Hydration and gels at every mile (yes every mile!!!). Plus free entry to the pasta dinner plus vacation... for just about $60 if you are a foreigner. The course is flat as well... I hear disney has elevations in the course...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I've done the Di$neyline half a couple times (back when it was "only" $85 - which was crazy high at the time).

Here's the truth: primary focus on all races put on by the mou$e is the mighty dollar. Catering to serious runners is low on the list of their priorities.

That said, the those race are good for the ego, as the field is really slow, so midpackers finish like they are superstars (according to the stats).

As far as gels/gus/chews go, just carry whatever else you might want or need with you on race day.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    And if you really want to be pampered do a trail ultra. The aid station tables are unbelievable - stocked with all sorts of goodies most of which resemble real food. People run out to you to fill your water bottles. You'll be surrounded by volunteers who want nothing more that to see to your every whim. They have chairs.

On second thought don't do a trail race. They are getting crowded as it is and getting harder to get into. Trail races suck. Just say no.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    ^^^ The reggae marathon is equivalent to a US endurance run pamper treatment since Jamaicans believe anything over 200 m dash is an ultra :-D.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Suddenly I find myself looking up flights to Jamaica.... Sounds amazing!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    My first full was at Disney World in January 2012; I've also ran a half there back in 2007. They put on an exceptionally well organized event, IMHO.

1) It is definitely very unusual that they don't have the course posted; normally, they have the course posted many, many months in advance. I'd e-mail the folks at RunDisney and I'm sure they'll resolve the issue.

2) Doesn't strike me as odd at all; I take my own gels with me. There are more than enough water stops along the course, which is what I need from them (since I don't like to run with my hydration belt if I don't have to).

3) As arc918 said, Disney is many things, but inexpensive is not one of them. The race fees are exorbitant and Disney rarely cuts anyone any slack on rooms. The laws of supply and demand work there, and Disney is in demand, especially for marathon weekend.

4) See #3. The good news is that the pasta in the park party is completely optional; I just skipped it and ate pasta at the Italy pavilion in Epcot.

Overall, I really love Disney World races; they know how to handle the logistics with this many people. Yes, it's a very early start and yes, you may have to walk a long way to the start line (I did for both my races... guess it depends upon how they set up the course!); but all the transportation, water stops, port-o-potties, entertainment, course, etc. are done so well, I'm fine with the fact that it costs some more to run with Mickey and Minnie.

Best of luck to you in your first full and happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    And if you really want to be pampered do a trail ultra. The aid station tables are unbelievable - stocked with all sorts of goodies most of which resemble real food. People run out to you to fill your water bottles. You'll be surrounded by volunteers who want nothing more that to see to your every whim. They have chairs.

On second thought don't do a trail race. They are getting crowded as it is and getting harder to get into. Trail races suck. Just say no.

too late, kavery knows all about trail ultras!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Suddenly I find myself looking up flights to Jamaica.... Sounds amazing!

Me too. Want to share a room?
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    You can't look up last years course? It never changes.

Disney is the most over charged marathon on this planet . So yes be prepared to kiss your wallet goodbye. I hear the start is horrendous. If your there to race it's bad bc it's also one of the slowest marathons.

Elevation? Again. Nothing to write home about. It's more flat then anything
    http://www.findmymarathon.com/race-detail.php?zname=Walt Disney World Marathon

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=481130113