Two weeks post sleeve and gaining weight?!?!

Options
I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself every day. Can't seem to help myself. Going through this entire process has made me super excited to lose weight and get healthy. But the past 4 days in a row, I've seen a gain. I had surgery 11/13/13. I lost 15 pounds the first week and a half and the past four days have seen a .5 gain every day. I don't understand and it's incredibly frustrating. I'm getting my water and my protein in just as I was instructed. I had this idea that I would at least have some kind of loss every week, instead of just losing my mind.

Any one have similar experiences or have a clue why this is happening?

TIA

Replies

• BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I sleeved 11/12/13 and I have my days where my scale tells me that I am a half pound heavier. There are so many reasons why your weight can be going up and down. The thing that you need to keep in mind is that if you are following the diet and doing everything that your doctor has recommended then you will lose weight. I would suggest not getting on the scale more than once a week because it causes you so much stress. I know all about being excited about this process and wanting to see those numbers get smaller each day but if you find yourself upset more times then not I would say that everyday is just too often. Keep up the good work and your sleeve will work :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Bondgirl, this is why they tell us not to weigh more than once a week. We flucuate daily. That being said, I weigh almost daily whe the scale isn't moving or when I've popped up a pound or two, but I am 2+ years out from surgery and my weight loss is now really slow. I am supposed to be losing 1 pound a week and I'm lucky to get 1 pound a month. I know it's normal for where I am, but it is frustrating.

So, put the scale away. Pick a day for your weigh day, get up, pee and hop on the scale. If you just can't leave it alone, ask someone to hide it from you except on your weigh day.

Good luck! This is an awesome tool, you will be fine.
  • bondgirl129
    Options
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's so easy to get caught up in my own head with all the worries and insecurities.
  • lizwebb55
    Options
    Bondgirl,

I'm about a week further out from surgery than you are (sleeved on 11/6/13) and I have been having the same issues you have. I was happy to read all the comments to you because they apply to me so much! Sunday is my weigh day, and I really haven't been on the scale since Monday this week. I know I've been under the MFP calorie goal all week. Hopefully I can control myself over Thanksgiving weekend..........I hope that we all see the numbers going in the right direction on our next weigh day! Keep the faith and stay strong and I believe you will be great. Hopefully I will too. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  • BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It is so easy to give encouraging words to other people but when it comes to yourself its hard to get past that negative self talk. I was just telling my husband that I was worried that my last hope (the surgery) wouldn't work. I know it's hard (don't feel like you can't vent). The best thing for me is My Fitness Pal. I don't have time for Facebook but i make time for this because it is nice to have a community of people like me.
  • scgle
    scgle Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, put your scale away. when was your last BM, your colon can hold a huge amount of being processed.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds the first week and a half and the past four days have seen a .5 gain every day.
    Some foods affect my BM and clean me out. I can lose 3# overnight, but as my colon refills, 1-2# come back. A one pound net loss over two days is good.

Unless it was water weight or surgical, your 15# loss in 1.5 weeks was shocking and the slight regain might be your system going back to normal.

(I actually gained 8# after surgery. Didn't start loosing till the swelling went down, a week later.)
  • DrSchizo
    DrSchizo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was also having the same issue. Your BM definitely play a significant role. After my first one (finally), I lost 5 lbs. I am now at a stand still and fluctuate between 1 and 2 lbs, but never seem to lose. I got my sleeve on 11/4 and since surgery, I have lost a total of 17 lbs. I definitely need to get back to the gym (lacking motivation) and be more aware of what I'm eating. I am considering making the sacred heart soup/miracle soup and having that for dinner once a week. Its a great soup to clean you out, its healthy and doesn't make you gain weight. The only issue is that there is no protein in the soup since it's all veggies. If anyone needs motivation like I do, feel free to add me. Maybe we can all come together and share recipes, ideas, and give each other the host we all need once in a while :)
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Keep hydrating, make sure you get enough protein and exercise to get things moving. If you do not stay hydrated you will constepate up and if you do not get enough protein your body will enter "starvation mode" and store fat / fluids. Walking is the best exercise 2 weeks out, I started a gym program at 1 month. Three legs to the table to keep it stable "Protein, Hydrate and Exercise". Do this and stay positive and the weight loss will come.
  • zigkib
    Options
    Dont worry for the first several weeks. Your body has to adjust. You just had major surgery. Do not FRET!! It can be hormones, water etc. Trust me, the first month to 3 months is CRAZY!! you will do just great!