Welcome

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Greetings everyone,

I just started this group because I did not see an active group that was dedicated to discussing Tim's books for the Slow Carb Diet in particular. I will add a few informative threads and then see who comes our way.

I've been dabbling in the diet for a year or so and really decided to jump in with two feet two months ago. Down 25 lbs since and feeling great.

Replies

• lamarch77
    lamarch77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group, I look forward to reading your post on slow carbs
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    There was another group but there wasn't much posting going on. I should probably join it and post that we are starting a new group that should be a bit more active. Might attract a few more people.
  • justin_m_foley
    justin_m_foley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great. It is nice to see an active slow carb group. Thanks.

I've been doing slow carb for about 4 months having done some calorie counting for a few months before that. I was amazed how effective it has been. I've lost about 40 pounds overall and 3 jean sizes in 7 months. I'm now about the weight I was 15 years ago when at university. I still have a bit of fat I need to lose and muscle to gain but can really say that this diet / lifestyle can really change you and it isn't that hard to stick at.

Are you reading the 4H chef? It is quite an interesting book.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Hey Justin,

I've been dabbling on and off since the book came out. Finally really committed two months ago. Almost 25 lbs down since then so I'm pretty happy. I've also been doing the Couch to 5k program to get back to running shape, which is also going well. Amazing how much easier those runs are when you weigh less!

I just finished the 4 Hour chef. I'm somewhat curious to try to catch a pigeon at the park, but my wife gets freaked out when I talk about it :)

I am going to be trying his recipes for jerky and for bacon bourbon. I will let you know how they turn out.
  • bastokes88
    Options
    I've been on the Tim Ferriss bandwagon for just a few months now. I have the four hour workweek and four hour body on my phone, which is great for referencing. Currently reading the four hour chef as well, which I'm really enjoying. Anybody out there doing kettlebells? That's my next focus.
  • justin_m_foley
    justin_m_foley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes the kettlebell swing is great. Very effective. Heart rate goes up very quickly, uses loads of muscles. My advise though is start on very low weight and work up using correct form unless you know what you are doing. Starting too high too quickly gave me bad back pain.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I've been on the Tim Ferriss bandwagon for just a few months now. I have the four hour workweek and four hour body on my phone, which is great for referencing. Currently reading the four hour chef as well, which I'm really enjoying. Anybody out there doing kettlebells? That's my next focus.

I'm focusing on running now, but I'll be done with that program in a few weeks. I'll start mixing in more weights then and kettlebell swings will definitely be a big part. Great exercise that works pretty much the entire back of your body from calf to shoulders.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started with the Slow Carb but after the first few weeks made some changes to make it work. I am now more low-carb, but I do eat beans and cheese. However, the slow carb diet got me going and I know many that follow it (or their version of it). My husband does it with me and he's down about 30 pounds, the lightest he's been in probably 15-20 years.

I lost 20 pounds in my first 3-4 months. Then the joys of the holidays hit and I stalled. Then in January, I started The Skogg System, a Kettlebell workout, and now up to 24 pounds lost. I'm sure the weight will come off faster once the weather warms up since I can get out side (as I'm watching snow falling right now!)
  • Nancycairo
    Options
    Great idea to start this group, thanks :) I just started yesterday after reading the book, and now reading your posts realize I've made quite a few mistakes already. I need my cup of tea with milk in the morning! Will adjust and report back.
  • t4shara3
    t4shara3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for inviting me here! I've had a crazy 2013, and am just now getting back on the diet. I did it for the month of november, and in that month alone lost 15 lbs. In the last few months, I wasn't watching was I was eating AT ALL and gained back 7ish of those pounds. I'm already happy to be losing weight again. It's been almost a week, and i'm SO excited to weigh in tomorrow (i don't like weighing in constantly, so i limit myself to the morning before starting cheat day to being the only time I weigh in).

Lately I have been on a fish kick, and because of that, I've been under 1000 calories (my app suggests 1200/day) AND carb free with ease, but of course carbs are my main focus.

In case anyone is wanting some recipes, you should try searching for ketosis recipes. The keto diet is very similar, except they don't have a cheat day. I've found A LOT of awesome recipes, including alcoholic drinks (Mocha mint martini, no carbs, 10 calories, and amazing omg) and deserts searching keto diet stuff :) Best site for all these recipes - http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

If anyone has reddit/uses it frequently, I want to start posting on the page for the slow carb diet too. So be looking!
  • t4shara3
    t4shara3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for inviting me here! I've had a crazy 2013, and am just now getting back on the diet. I did it for the month of november, and in that month alone lost 15 lbs. In the last few months, I wasn't watching was I was eating AT ALL and gained back 7ish of those pounds. I'm already happy to be losing weight again. It's been almost a week, and i'm SO excited to weigh in tomorrow (i don't like weighing in constantly, so i limit myself to the morning before starting cheat day to being the only time I weigh in).

Lately I have been on a fish kick, and because of that, I've been under 1000 calories (my app suggests 1200/day) AND carb free with ease, but of course carbs are my main focus.

In case anyone is wanting some recipes, you should try searching for ketosis recipes. The keto diet is very similar, except they don't have a cheat day. I've found A LOT of awesome recipes, including alcoholic drinks (Mocha mint martini, no carbs, 10 calories, and amazing omg) and deserts searching keto diet stuff :) Best site for all these recipes - http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

If anyone has reddit/uses it frequently, I want to start posting on the page for the slow carb diet too. So be looking!
  • SherryAnneSW
    SherryAnneSW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I came across Tim's slow-carb diet last night when searching for tips on weight loss.
    I would like to lose my last bit of fat. Depending on how low I want to go, I want to lose 10-18 more lbs.

Years ago I tried a low carb diet and it worked for me at the time along with calorie counting.

I would like to learn more and hopefully start tomorrow, if I have everything that is needed for the plan.

Thanks for creating this group!

Sherry :-)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My pleasure. The diet (and I hesitate to call it that because it is really more of an eating plan) really does work. You will even start to dread cheat days just because of how bloated you feel after eating all that high calorie, non-nutritious food

Good luck!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I started Slow Carb a few weeks ago and loving every day :) I had been dieting on my own prior to that and lost 30 lbs and then got stuck for 3 month , I tried breaking my stall by switching food, exercise -I was eating less than 1000 calories a day and still not losing more weight and nothing was working - I finally came across the Slow carb while surfing for help and I jumped on the wagon and my weight dropped 1 pound per day and eating closer to 2000 calories a day!! I am so so happy to have found Slow Carb .
  • Denis1404
    Options
    Hi All, I was surprised to find this community on myfitnesspal especially as Tim suggests not to count calories at all as long as you eat the allowed foods. I'm finding though that with the beans it is very easy to eat too much and then see little or fluctuating results. I am also in The Lift community which is a great tool to check off each habit daily. I particularly am grateful for the cold showers which give me a great start to my mornings along with my 30g of protein for breakfast. Since being here and calorie counting together with SCD I have lost an extra 2 kilos. Only 4kg to go and feeling happy.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard :)

While I do not count calories , The legumes should only be up to 1 1/2 cups per day , But I noticed that I do better when I have less per meal or even skip them once in a while.