Staying in shape

Options
What are you all doing to stay in shape and minimize the weight gain? I've been walking, doing bodyweight exercises and lighter weights, and yoga. However the last week has been a challenge - my hips and lower back have been sore for a couple weeks but the last week has been brutal. I think I'm developing sciatica - the pain has been extending into my buttchecks and upper thighs! I took a week off and yesterday did yoga, and then I hurt even more! Bahhhhh. Picking up a foam roller today and hoping that will help!

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have been having the sciatic pain since 6 weeks, but it has been due to an injury. I got a massage last week and that helped a ton!

I have just been walking.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I found that the sciatica came and went. It would be triggered, stay a few days or a couple of weeks, then disappear for a month. Try not to do too much twisting or turning on one leg and it should ease up. I also found that a support belt helped when exercising.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have been doing light exercise four days a week, I will do yoga, light strength training, and a few cardio workouts. My back has really started bothering me so I did not get my usual in this week, but my husband massaged and then iced my lower back and it feels soooo much better now. I even did my yoga today!
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a set of prenatal circuit training DVDs called ''Body by Trimester'' by Joy Southworth . Its an intense 30 min circuit training workout, which i do 4-5 times a week. I also walk a lot pushing my 2 kids in a double stroller and i walk up anywhere between 9-11 flights of stairs at college, 4 days a week. I am about to start week 33 and i have gained about 20 lbs. It seems to all be in my belly cuz the rest of my body still looks nice and toned. wishing everyone a happy and healthy pregnancy.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm still running at least 3 times a week, I also use the elliptical. As for classes, I still do cardio kickboxing and Zumba. I'm determined to stay in shape with this pregnancy, I've worked way too hard prior to getting pregnant to just stop now.
  • meghanvest
    Options
    I eat at maintenance and workout at least 4-5 times a week for 45-60 minutes doing the elliptical or walking. If I feel really good or have the time I work out everyday, but I shoot for at least 4 days a week. I try to eat as clean as possible and drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've been walking dogs everyday, lifting occasionally, and just trying to stay mostly active. The lifts were cut way back, but other than that I'm staying about as active as I was pre-preggers, but if I need to take a break, I do. I've noticed I seem to pull stuff a little easier and get out of breath much sooner.
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was doing really good about using pregnancy dvds and my elliptical and then around begining november I got lazy and really slacked off and am paying for it now. I am getting ready right now to do my yoga dvd to see if that can help put a little energy in my step. I wish walking was still an option but i'm covered in snow and ice now so no luck there!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've been doing aerobics, step aerobics, spinning, Zumba and gym sessions, where I do cardio and strength training. I do low impact stuff in aerobics now, and when they do abs, I do some weights. I aim for 4 or 5 sessions a week. Sometimes I've only managed 3 sessions on weeks my husband does late shift, as it's hard to get to the gym when I work too and already have 2 kids.

I also take my 2 and 4 year old out on their scooters a lot, so have to walk very fast to keep up! Plus I work part time as a teacher so I'm on my feet a lot at work.

I've been aiming for 1800 calories a day, which is slightly below maintenance calories for me.

I put on a lot of weight in my last pregnancy so I do worry a lot about weight gain.
  • pammyxjean
    pammyxjean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do lots of cardio, kickboxing ect. And I lift pretty heavy right now (first tri) but I know Im going to have to go down in weight in my second tri. I worked really really hard for four years, and Im not stopping unless something tells me to stop. I don't push too hard, bc I was before and Id get dizzy and nauseous, not good. So I work out 5 times a week or every other day, just depends on my morning sickness or what my two boys bring me, lol. I don't see pregnancy as a reason to take it easy, I did that in my first pregnancies and I was a balloon, and I was in pain and miserable and also developed postpartum depression. Exercise keeps me sane.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I stopped circuit training and started walking (mainly treadmill) for about 3 -4 times a week.