week 25 Nov-1 Dec

Options
Vaugirard15
Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
Hey, Runner 5s! Post your ZR 5K updates here!

Replies

• Vaugirard15
    Options
    Hey, Qski & cyn… and any other Runner 5s in training! Miss hearing from you guys! Hope all is well!

I finished Week 7 today and was able to run all the free forms again. Felt great… and kinda scary ;-). I figured out that the last time I was able to run (or even tried to run) 2 miles was back in 1978!!! So it's been a while! Week 8 Workout 1 looks a little scary: a couple of 5 minute runs and a 20 minute run. Pretty sure I can manage the 20 minute (slowly, slowly) but will just play it by ear… or foot… or knee… or breath… whichever part wimps out first!

For my American friends: happy Thanksgiving!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Happy Thanksgiving to the US peeps too!

I have had a bit of a motivation slump - or a continued one? - over the last week or so. Got some help from MFP friends on the motivation side of things, and via that found two fantastic youtube videos that are running specific. One inspired the other, so both are very similar but talk about two different people. I watched Kate first - boy did I bawl my eyes out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3goH10oXMk
    (she has a link to the other one in the details)

So last time I did some wunning was the Tue 19th, then Wed and Thur I had PT sessions. Thursday after my PT I had this massive mood swing and burst into tears for no apparent reason (on my way to work). I could not concentrate at work and felt really bad so I left early (went to my weight watchers weigh in where I gained 900g didn't stay for the meeting) and I took Friday off. I also decided that I was going to have a day off the diet. So planned a kind of pig out (Nachos) with low fat cheese, low fat sour cream, con queso made from low fat ingredients and grilled chicken and I couldn't eat much of it, but I did enjoy it. I didn't log but I don't think it was that bad.

Got back on deck on Saturday but still felt a bit flat. Had a great day though with my eldest niece who can be quite stand offish (she is 4). She had a momentary burst of I love Aunty Q mode and voluntary sat on my lap and demanded my attention quite a bit which I totally adore. We got the skip late on Saturday so spent a lot of Sunday doing all that stuff, then worked all day Monday and Monday night I watched those you tube videos, got super inspired and went outside and did a few more hours in the yard and house. (had serious DOMS in my hamstrings from the outside work but all up loved it! My partner didn't say it explicity but I think I was quite proud to the point of being amused at me actually voluntarily doing hard physical work)

Then I thought this morning I better get out there and get back to the Zoms. It was about 29 degrees celsius at 6am (84F) so usually I would already be turning on the air conditioning, but I got out there and felt fantastic and super strong. Loved wk5d3's Mission - Laughed a lot out loud and realised how much I miss all my crafting. Run Drills usually start just after the 1km mark. I still didn't finish properly on 2 drills (my brain was saying that the app stopped working and it was 1 minute already) but only by a few seconds. I had done 2min running without stopping in the first free form too which was a first for me and then when I hit 2km (I run endomondo at the same time as Zombies Training and it gives verbal "lap" times per km) the endomondo voice said lap pace 8mins45secs and that was enough to get me through the rest of the mission with a smile on my face. Nearly have the route down pat now it says 4.93 and I didn't lap the field or the car park of the school.

So I think I have my mojo back or back enough to get into the swing of things. I think all up I didn't do too badly in my slump and the scales at home this morning, finally seem to be close to where they were 2 weeks ago (so before the 900g gain of last week). And weight wise that has happened to me a lot one week I stay the same or gain or lose a small amount and the next I lose the gain and then some. So maybe that is how my body works, maybe it was all the hard strength exercises I did and maybe I should just not care as much and just keep running!

Well that was all very me me me
    I had a bit of a giggle at the 1978 Vaugirard15 - I'm probably the same - I was 3 in 78 and think that was probably the last time I voluntarily ran (and I was probably running away from an adult trying to discipline me for doing something wrong!)
    You are doing so well, so close to the running the whole mission, can you taste it!?

Wish I could be there at the end of your first 5k - do you have a race planned?
    Anyway, you know I am cheering on even if I am not there!

@cyn - <<<<HUGS>>>>>
    Hope all is getting ok with your situation! I am a highly emotional person so I get (like I did after that training last week) an absolutely no reason mood swing, and I also get a million other reason mood swings as well as soaking up any negativity any where near me. So I understand how feeling yuck is just yuck especially if its more mental than physical - most of the time if it's physical there is something practical we can do or take to feel better!

So hope you feel better and you keep on Zombie Training, you are doing really well!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    So glad to hear from you both again-- either on the updates or here! I really look forward to your posts and hearing about how you are doing.

This whole process can be quite challenging. Even though we are very proud of our accomplishments, the whole thing can feel so overwhelming at times (and I don't have all of the extra challenges of shin splints or a new job with horrific commute!). I'm constantly having to remind myself that each good choice I make is good for my body and good for my health so that I focus on the positives and not on the negatives. The big picture is too scary and too much but the little choices I can mostly manage. With all of the memories and angst that comes with the holiday season, it's easy to become even more overwhelmed as the emotions come into play. I think that if we just make an effort to stay on an even keel, to the best of our ability, that will be good enough.

On Dec. 23, I'll hit the one-year mark for my "diet". I'm really proud of the 52 pounds lost (but even prouder of my Zombies accomplishments!) but I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point. I'm still working on adjusting the calories and trying to find the right fit for my food intake vs. energy output. For the last 4 months, I haven't lost any weight and even though I have to keep getting rid of clothes that don't fit, I can get super discouraged about not getting below 200 pounds (I'm so close but so stuck!). Bleagh! So I have to focus on what I have done: I eat better (not perfectly, not boringly healthy but overall, it's better), I can wog for 25 minutes :-), I move better in general, I fit back in some clothes that I used to love (and no longer fit in a lot of them, too, because they are too big)… you get the picture. I'm thinking I may just try to eat at maintenance from now through the New Year, then go back into calorie deficit in January.

Okay…now I'm wandering off topic… but I want to point out how much both of you have accomplished. Cyn: you amaze me by your ability to do more than one workout in a day and your ability to workout on a treadmill (impossibly difficult for me)! You have had a major change in your life with the new job, night shift, and 3 hour per day commute. So workouts are more difficult to arrange right now because you have so much more on your plate and having the job is important. Daily (or double daily) workouts may not be possible because getting your sleep is critical to your health-- that may need to be your focus right now, along with continuing to make healthier choices while eating. Those are pretty good goals for a holiday, I'd think! Most people just over-shop, eat too much and feel all sloggy in the morning. Qski: you are making terrific progress in your ability to wun, to workout and to make positive health choices-- even while dealing with some injuries. You encourage lots of people on the MFP boards and you really seem to understand how your body is working. The Thursday slump may have been all the hard workouts you've been doing so you were just plain tired on top of everything else. The "yuck" might be both physical and mental-- we just need to find ways to work through it.

We are Runner 5s! We are making terrific progress! We can defeat all of these zombies (jobs, yucks, slumps) by just going forward as fast as we can and leaving those shamblers behind! Go, team!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I really really want to hug you both right now! If I didn't have the support and encouragement I have right now, I don't know where I'd be (and really don't want to think about it - too depressing)

As much as I didn't want to be working another night job, I came home today more positive than I've been in a long time. The people I'm working with are really nice and helpful, they're accessible if I have questions and listen if I voice an opinion or comment even though I'm only just starting. That's far and away so much better than my last job. The commute is down to an hour since it's so late/early the time isn't as long bc of less traffic. Actually it hasn't been too bad - catching up on podcasts currently. Plus I think it's been helping with the "work to home" mental transition. When I was working 10 min away I'd still be stressing and venting about work when I got home which ended my day badly and started hubby's day just as bad. It's still early days working there, so my feelings may change, but it's looking good so far. I think the regular exercise and eater better will help as well.
    And as long as I'm talking about the commute, after next month it won't be as far (40 minutes vs. an hour) because we're moving house. I love the apartment we're in and the landlord is wonderful, but we're also bursting at the seams and could use a bit more room. When a coworker of hubby's mentioned that his rent house would be available soon we told him we'd like to take it. it's only a half mile from hubby's work (so he can walk or ride the bike daily rather than drive) and we should have enough room to clean out the storage unit and eliminate the bill. I've had that weighing on my mind lately too - mentally going over what all needs to be done, be packed, and just basically getting overwhelmed and panicked.

Just noticed the time - gotta get going to work. will finish this tomorrow :)

Take care!!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Lots of people out at the park today-- playing football, walking the dogs or just taking a stroll. Me? I ran for THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES!!! 35! Three 5 minute free-forms plus a 20 minute run!!! I can't believe I did it! And, I was due to take my arthritis shot last night but forgot and have had lots of twinges over the past week but I still ran the whole thing! (Sorry for all the exclamation points but I know that you guys understand what a remarkable achievement that feels like to me!). After the first 5 minute free form then a quick stretch, when I began the 20 minute I started to psych myself out.. that I couldn't possibly run that far, etc., etc. (even though I'd already done 16 minutes straight a couple of times) but Dr. Myers gave me cues every two minutes so I just told myself I'd concentrate on two minutes at a time (and I remember very clearly when 2 minutes seemed like forever).

Feels like a really big accomplishment. So I've earned the calories to have some pie later today :-) but am trying NOT to think of that as my reward for overcoming W8W1 (because I don't want food to be my compensation). But I will be feeling proud of myself today!

Have a great Thanksgiving (and great Thursday), Runner 5s!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Go Have pie! Have lots of Pie! and not as a reward, but just because you can. Then reward yourself with something else too? New Running outfit? (I am going to get a Runner 5 T-shirt when I 'graduate')

35 minutes is amazeballs (new word I learned recently!)
    20 minutes straight is heroic! I remember in one mission Dr Meyers saying you're dominating Runner 5! and I laffed then, but you are dominating Vaurigard15!

So proud of your achievement!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Thanks, Qski!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Vaugirard - You are fantastic! Even if the numbers on the scale aren't moving, you are doing wonderful! I haven't graduated to actual running yet but i am inspired by your progress and I know I'm going to get there one day. I'm with Qski as far as 1978. I was 8 years old and I think that's the last time I willingly ran for anything as well (and it wasn't for very long or very far, I'm sure). If it takes me going through the 5k app on the elliptical then dong it again with actual running later, I'm ok with that. I know I'll get there eventually :) That you're doing missions arthritis and all - and that it seems to be getting better since losing weight and starting ZR is inspiring to me since my joints have been yelling at me for a few years now and really not looking forward to it getting any worse.

Qski - you are doing so well. I keep saying i need to start weight training and i don't get much further than that. the plan is after new year's, moving and the holidays to buckle down and get going with that. I'm familiar with mood swings and "don't wanna"-s too. have fought with them for as long as I can remember, though it seems to have gotten better since starting with the fitness stuff.

So my schedule at work is going to be 4 on/2 off. I figure I can cook something healthy on my days off for quick leftovers on days I work, but don't really get a "lunch". I get mini breaks and portable munchies do well (carrot chips, celery sticks, meal bars). so my plan is to keep a stocked arsenal of healthy snacks to bring to work. I've done well not dipping into the free chream cheese coffee cake and donuts that have been available, but i want to be ready when one of those freak out completely stressed shifts pops up (which will probably be just after I'm off oreintation next week). Any ideas would greatly help.

Many thanks and hugs to you both.

Stay safe and keep moving Runner Fives!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Hi, cyn & Qski (and any lurkers we may have!)! Cyn-- very glad to hear that the commute and job are going well. Making up snacks ahead of time is a great idea. One that I used for a while was having protein powder already in a shaker jar then adding water when I was ready to drink it. Quick & easy. I also keep Kind bars (love the dark chocolate & sea salt one!) and mini Babybel cheese in my purse for those times when I'm super hungry (I dug them out at the movie theater the other day so I wouldn't eat any more popcorn; it was lunch time and I forgot to pack something!) I'm with you in telling myself I need to do some strength training-- Qski has the right approach here! I've been promising myself to go back to yoga or do some Pilates or a workout video or something. I have a school break coming up (I teach) so maybe having the free time will help me set up a new schedule!

Hoping you have a great weekend!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    had a late thanksgiving meal at my sister's yesterday. My bother-in-law cooks some really good food :) I did well meal wise. but my neice made these cheesecake bars for dessert -

O M G :love:

They were sooo good! I had 2. Knew I shouldn't, but gave in and did it anyway. I was way under on calories on friday (accidentally - i did't realize when i left for work I had still had another 300 or so calories to go) and i maxed out on the elliptical when we got home to make up for it. I hardly touch sweets like that any more, so i figure a splurge isn't going to kill me. back on track now :wink:

Hope all the runners have a great weekend!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    I hope you really took the time to enjoy them-- as long as you are indulging, you might as well make the best of it! I know it's the season of food temptations but I think if we are thoughtful about our choices, we can make it work. Sounds like you knew how to keep on track, even after enjoying your bars, cyn! Sounds like great progress in my book!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I think I made it sound ike i inhaled the second cheesecake bar straight after the first. I gave it about an hour before the second one. I wanted to make sure it was a conscious decision rather than giving in to cravings or mindless eating. And yes i took the time to enjoy every bite since I won't be making them myself - i'd eat the whole pan!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Sorry, cyn! That wasn't how I read it at all so I guess my comment didn't come across clearly. They sound yummy! I'm impressed by how well you managed this! :-)