Cross/Strength training

Options
knitapeace
knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
OK, so I love running but I realize it's in my own best interest to shake it up now and then. I hate strength training, but I just purchased the 30 Day Shred video to do twice a week. What other (preferably cheap) strength activities do you do to enhance your running?

Replies

• mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    A lot of daily running specific stretches, lunges, squats, mountain climbers, calf raises, more lunges, ab work... core work to help the running form.
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym (bodyweight exercise program). Think you have a choice of DVD, book or an app.
    I also like the Sworkit app, which covers the sort of things that mjpTennis has listed :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yoga, weights at the gym and Zumba are my primary cross-training activities.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I currently added a Jillian Michaels DVD to the rotation, because I just don't believe I'm going to be consistent running through the winter (gotta be realistic here). And I've been doing some On Demand cardio workouts from TV. I'd love to add some yoga too, maybe that can be my laid-back weekend exercise. :)
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do www.dailyburn.com...they have awesome workout videos and the easy thing is once you select program all you have to do is open your computer and there's your workout for the day - I love it!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I do www.dailyburn.com...they have awesome workout videos and the easy thing is once you select program all you have to do is open your computer and there's your workout for the day - I love it!

Thanks for this because I have to do the same thing. I'd like to better my long distance running times and I know I'm missing out on the core strength training.