run 13.1 with potential ITBS?

Options
Cheval13
Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
So, of course this question is not long-distance specific, but longer distance runners will see the difference between 13.1 and 26.2 and know that 13.1 is slightly more manageable and I could get away with more so...
My question (and I realize I shouldn't ask the forum, but I've asked my doctor and he already said yeah, so I just wanna hear what you think... maybe my doc is a quack? jk)-
I developed ITBS (or something is messed up with the side of my knee that is likely related to ITB tightness) more than a month ago on Oct. 28. I took a little break, tried again, took another break, tried again, so on and so forth. Basically, I am not pain free but I can manage 3-4 miles pain free and I did a 9 mile run with some walk breaks. My mileage for November is about 68 miles, the lowest it's been since I was out due to surgery in May and since my last injury a few months before that. However (around August, in a burst of optimism), I signed up for a half-marathon for Sun. Dec. 8th that I would really like to run...but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've broken my situation down into having three options:
1. I could skip the race entirely (something my wallet and running heart would hate to do, but may be the wisest thing)
2. could ask to have my entry changed to 5K, but I still lose the difference in entry fee, and I risk going too fast for the 5K.
3. I could skip running this week, other than a few light jogs, and wing it like I did my 9 miler.. just run while I can and walk if I have to.
My doctor thinks I could probably run a half marathon, though he doubts I'll be able to break 2 hours (my PR is 1:40). I was in really good shape before this injury... the injury was probably brought on by running my first 60 mile week ever. I don't think I would kill myself, but I also don't want to risk further injury.
What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for the opinions (and try to keep it cordial if you think I'm a total idiot for even considering this....)

Replies

• runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Since your doctor has said ok to you running the half, that's what I'd do. Just go & enjoy it. Don't push yourself w/ the pace. Run when you feel like you can & walk when you need to. No shame in that! I totally understand the feeling of having paid for it, so you want to run it. Since I ended up w/ the back injury four months ago, you know I can sympathize w/ how you feel. You can do it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your doc is giving you PR predictions? Is he/she a runner too? My PR is around the same as yours, and I wouldn't dream of a 60 mile week where I'm currently at, but I don't know your running history. It seems high for HM training, but I'm hardly an expert.

If I felt like I was limited in any way that impaired the effort I wanted to put forth (race or otherwise), I wouldn't be able to do it. I would hawk my bib on Craigslist since it's too late to do a swap. I probably wouldn't want to settle for a 5k either.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Not an idiot. :). Been there thought that. First, put the money aside. It is spent and you cannot unspend it. Years ago about a week before a half I popped a calf muscle when we were scrimmaging with my daughters soccer team. Felt like I was shot! Figured I could not do the race then a couple days before it felt like it might be better enough. I still skipped the race. I figured BEST case was a personal worst, a medal and a t-shirt. Worst case was a walking cast. Decided best was not worth worst no matter how far fetched

A few weeks ago I did a half marathon with a broken tie (about 4 weeks into healing). Got away with it and PR'd :). It was just a middle toe. My deciding factor was it bothered me but was not affecting my gist or pace

All that said I agree with your doc, you can probably get away with it. The worst side, I would guess, is getting seriously sidelined for a while. Worth the risk?
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Seems like it depends what your goals are, both for the race and beyond. Obviously, your leg isn't going to fall off based on an ITBS flare-up. Also obviously, you're unlikely to run a PR with it. So, what's your goal for the race? Will you be happy just to finish it (perhaps not, since you've run other halves before)? Or will the idea of not really racing it just defeat the purpose? Beyond race day, if you push it for the full 13.1, you will likely have a very swollen ITB that needs some serious resting. Does it seem worth it to you to run if you're potentially extending how long you're sidelined by recovery? Do you have any future races that would be sacrificed by pushing through this one? If not, maybe you're fine with it.

Depending upon your answers to these questions and others like them, you should be able to determine whether you run or not. I have run a half with ITBS after raising >$13K in a friend's memory; at that point, I would've crawled it if I had to. If I was faced with the same decision under different circumstances, I might make a different choice (or I might not!).

In any case, hope the ITBS quiets down soon and happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty case of ITBS right now and I ran a 25k last Sunday at my fastest pace ever for a long race. My sports therapist basically said running won't cause more damage and it comes down to how much pain can you handle. Ymmv.:smile:
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to have IT band issues and learned a yoga stretch that really helped. Sit on the ground as if you are going to sit cross legged. Take your right knee and place it on top of your left foot. Take your right foot and place it on top of your left knee. Now lean forward gently. Reverse legs and repeat. This stretch has helped me and several of my friends very quickly. When I was able to touch my elbows to the ground in front of me my ITB issues were completely gone and I have had no problems since. (You can also do the yoga pigeon pose, but it isn't the easiest to do)

As far as running, I'd agree it's a pain management thing. You aren't likely to damage anything, but you will hurt. I actually had a couple of races where I stopped and did the stretch from above to reduce the pain. I'd say go for it, but then again my wife thinks I'm crazy...
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Waskier: You are crazy! :) I don't know anyone else who'd be doing the things you did so soon after your injury. Thanks for the stretching tips
    ZenInTexas + Waskier: thanks for the idea about pain management. If it is the case that I can run through, I'll do my best
    bert16: You had some wise advice. I guess I should have mentioned the first time that I had been planning for the longest time to run a marathon in February, but now that I've been sidelined for so long, I figure "what the hell" and am no longer pursuing that marathon for a PR. Because of this answer and yours and other's great proof of awesomeness, I think I will try to run this thing.
    schmenge55: thanks for you advice! It's sound and I think considering the worst and best case scenarios is a good idea. However, I think your injury was decidedly worse than mine, so my worst is really just a week off running... which at this point seems worth it to me. I can't believe that you ran with a broken toe! But it's encouraging to hear that you PRed. :)
    sonicdeath: yep. My doc is a runner (and a decent one too). Of course, his prediction could be off. He was just trying to emphasize that I would not be able to put in the normal stress on my legs that I usually do while racing.
    Also, you're right, 60 mpw is a bit high for a HM, and the info probably wasn't necessary for this thread anyway, but I was actually training for the above mentioned marathon at the time, and this HM was supposed to be a training run/fitness determinant for the 26.2. And I am still considering just letting this race go. I have a week to decide.
    runningchick7: thank you for the sympathy! You had a pretty rough time these last months, but you still ran your race(s).
    Thank you and everyone for the encouraging words!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I have a nasty case of ITBS right now and I ran a 25k last Sunday at my fastest pace ever for a long race. My sports therapist basically said running won't cause more damage and it comes down to how much pain can you handle. Ymmv.:smile:

I agree. I have off and on ITBS issues. For some crazy reason it doesn't bother me while running but I have spent a lot of time changing my gait and stride to help deal with the issue.

Have you tried a foam roller. My ITBS seems to flair when I am not using my roller consistently.

Good luck-
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you take it easy during the race, and are careful not to change your gait and aggravating or injuring some other part of your body, it will probably not make a bit of difference in the long run if you do the race or not. It's already flared up, and you know it will hurt when you're done the race. Only you can decide if the pain and extra recovery time is worth it.

The more important question is what you should do after the race. I would get yourself to a physical therapist and a sports massage therapist as soon as possible, and follow their advice regarding rest and activity. This problem will probably never go away until you get professional help. I have been running for twenty years, and my recent knee pain/ITBS issues taught me to much more humble and seek help sooner rather than later.

Good luck.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As the ITBS is not caused by, nor can it cause actual damage, I don't see any risk in running the race. It really is about pain management at this point. My experience, and that of others that I know, is that the pain is actually lessened when running at a faster pace. I suggest you do a little experiment. Got out and run and easy 3 to 4 miles and then do a mile at HM pace and see what the knee feels like. You may find that the elevated pace is actually easier to deal with. I would also consider a couple Advil or some Aleve prior to the race. Again, it's just uncomfortable, so masking the pain isn't going to create a situation where you can do permanent damage. The knee pain is just the band rubbing against a nerve in that area of the knee.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    As the ITBS is not caused by, nor can it cause actual damage, I don't see any risk in running the race. It really is about pain management at this point. My experience, and that of others that I know, is that the pain is actually lessened when running at a faster pace. I suggest you do a little experiment. Got out and run and easy 3 to 4 miles and then do a mile at HM pace and see what the knee feels like. You may find that the elevated pace is actually easier to deal with. I would also consider a couple Advil or some Aleve prior to the race. Again, it's just uncomfortable, so masking the pain isn't going to create a situation where you can do permanent damage. The knee pain is just the band rubbing against a nerve in that area of the knee.
    This is super interesting to me. I have never heard that about going a faster pace but I was just saying that exact thing to my husband this morning. I did 2 races this week and I hardly noticed my knee, especially during the 10k. But it's been terrible during my training runs. Glad to know it's not in my head!
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice here, and that's what I followed, along with exercises recommended by a PT to keep my ITB issue at bay for the past 2 years.

However, I wanted to mention that it may not be a good idea to pop a couple non-steroidal anti-inflammatories prior to strenuous exercise. NSAIDs inhibit cyclo-oxengenase enzymes, which decreases the production of prostaglandins (PGs). Many PGs are associated with inflammation, BUT there are many PGs that are essential to kidney and gastrointestinal function. Renal prostaglandins protect against decreases in blood flow during exercise, and renal PG inhibition with an NSAID during exercise may lead to an abnormally depressed renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate. These problems are compounded with dehydration. Worst case scenario, albeit rare, is acute renal failure. Reduction in essential PGs also can cause some unpleasant GI issues.

I wish you happy and heathy running! Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    However, I wanted to mention that it may not be a good idea to pop a couple non-steroidal anti-inflammatories prior to strenuous exercise. NSAIDs inhibit cyclo-oxengenase enzymes, which decreases the production of prostaglandins (PGs). Many PGs are associated with inflammation, BUT there are many PGs that are essential to kidney and gastrointestinal function. Renal prostaglandins protect against decreases in blood flow during exercise, and renal PG inhibition with an NSAID during exercise may lead to an abnormally depressed renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate. These problems are compounded with dehydration. Worst case scenario, albeit rare, is acute renal failure. Reduction in essential PGs also can cause some unpleasant GI issues.

I'm pretty sure that this risk comes from taking large quantities of NSAIDs over an extended period, like an ultra. Popping two Advil prior to a 2 hour race isn't going to bring on this risk.
  • Csuvetmed
    Options
    Of coure the risk is greater with long-term use or higher doses, but standard OTC doses can be harmful during endurance events. I've attached a few references which explain this in greater detail, but the bottom line is that these drugs are not benign. As well as things I've already mention, NSAID use has also been linked increased risk of endotoxemia (the lack of protective PGs in the gut make it "leaky," allowing bacteria to translocate) and makes athletes more likely to suffer from hyponatremia (low sodium).

I just think it's worth being informed and limiting your NSAID use, especially as an athlete.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/86/2/598.short
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15847359
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20424410
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17596774
    http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/5/12/2020.full.pdf+html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17304005
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16679974
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16554145
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12831719
  • Csuvetmed
    Options
    Oh, and this one. Nieman's study on Western States runners found that those that took NSAIDs had higher plasma levels or markers for muscle damage. The first 2 pages are a good summary--the rest is just diet recommendations, which is a different story.

http://marathonandbeyond.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/10-16.5-Nieman.pdf