How much weight gain did your doctor suggest?

Options
Mslmesq
Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
My doc said I'll need to gain about 20-25 lbs during the pregnancy. While a 20 lb weight gain would make me happy, everything else I've read suggests 25-35 lbs, with 25 lbs more ideal for shorter woman. So, I was kind of surprised, but didn't say anything. Note, I'm short, a tad over 5'1", and weigh right around 100lbs currently (ideal for my height), so I'm by no means over-weight and that was not the reason for his 20lb suggestion.

Anyone elses doctor suggest something different then what you've read?

Replies

• Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bc I am overweight, what I've read is to gain no more than 10-15lbs, but I'm 5'7 and I have so far gained about 20 and I'm 24 weeks (some could be bloat, though). My Dr didn't suggest a certain weight gain and didn't seem too concerned bc my GD test came back normal and I am otherwise healthy. He seems to be laid back and gets a kick whenever I ask him first time mommy questions, though, haha. Seems as though the only time he will be concerned is if I fail my next GD test.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor more about the weight thing if you are planning to follow his recommendation. If he knows that you are intentional about nutrition and fitness he may not care what you gain, since you know how to turn around and lose it in a healthy way :)

When I met with my midwives, I think I seemed a little obsessed with calories because they kept saying "you are supposed to gain weight, you should add some more food to your diet."
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor more about the weight thing if you are planning to follow his recommendation
    I think I intend to ignore him. I'm shooting for about 25 lbs weight gain, give or take a bit. Doctor also told me 'just pretty much eat regularly' and named some exceptions to what I could eat. That's actually fine for someone like me who already eats healthy,but I'd never met him before so he wouldn't know that. What if what I regularly ate was pure junk food? :-/. That'd be some bad advice by him.

My gut was he is a very old school doc with lots of experience, but not a lot of alternative type of ideas. I like the old school experience, but think I'll stick to reading for practical things I intend to do to stay healthy throughout.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    my midwife said based on my BMI (normal range) i should aim for 25-35 pounds. she said 1-5 lbs the first trimester, and then 1 lb a week after that. i'm nearly 16 weeks and have only gained about 3 pounds. my body is totally changing shape though! i thought i had big hips before but then i caught a glance of my backside in the mirror today after my shower and i was kinda surprised...! oh well, my husband is digging it, so, i guess i'm cool with it!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my midwife said based on my BMI (normal range) i should aim for 25-35 pounds. she said 1-5 lbs the first trimester, and then 1 lb a week after that. i'm nearly 16 weeks and have only gained about 3 pounds. my body is totally changing shape though! i thought i had big hips before but then i caught a glance of my backside in the mirror today after my shower and i was kinda surprised...! oh well, my husband is digging it, so, i guess i'm cool with it!

My husband is digging some things getting bigger as well, lol.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My midwife told me 15kg for my height and build but that was when I had already gained 7kg at 20 weeks.

I thought I'd limit myself to 10kg at first, but experience has taught me that my weight goes up, whether I like it or not. I need to remind myself I'm eating (fairly) healthy, moving as much as possible and shouldn't beat myself up over a little (or more) weight gain.

So I'm still more looking at daily calorie consumption than weight gain. At least that is something I can control.
  • pammyxjean
    pammyxjean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    She told me to gain 30lbs give or take. But I think we should listen to our bodies, if we are hungry, eat, if not, don't, and as for me Im trying not to over eat, my biggest problem at dinner time, I make yummy food, then I want to stuff my face then I feel sick. But as long as you're gaining slowly and steady, don't worry about numbers. And if baby is growing well, then don't worry either.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    In England, they don't really mention it. They weigh you at your booking appointment, at around 10 weeks pregnant, and that's the only time you get weighed! If your weight isn't a cause for concern then, then it isn't mentioned again. I said I was worried about weight gain, and my midwife just said to listen to my body, and I was fine to carry on exercising.

If I've gained up to 35lbs by my due date, I'll be happy with that. My BMI was in the healthy range when I got pregnant. I figure by 6 weeks I'll lose a fair bit - baby, placenta, fluid etc. Plus I have 2 other children I'll be running round after!
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have gained about 13 pounds so far. My doctor suggested that I gain between 25-35 pounds over the course of the pregnancy which really surprised me because I'm 5'2 and started at 155 pounds which is still considered overweight. The doctor seems happy with the 13 pound weight gain and said that I should probably gain about a pound a week from here on out.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I actually got two different doctors opinions - one from my GP and one from my OBGYN.
    My regular doctor said, because I started out overweight, he thinks I would be alright to just maintain my current weight and not gain too much more.
    My OBGYN said he would suggest a 10-15lb gain - enough for baby and all, but no extra fat is needed.
    So far I am at -14, so I am thinking I would like to try to not gain more than 24 from here (10lbs over prepregnancy.)
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    My OB said between 25 to 35 LBS... On Thursday I'll see how much Ive gained so far....My scales doesn't have batteries and I always forget to replace it lol....