80/10/10ers!! I NEED YOU!

Options
Hey all my Vegan earthy guys and gals!

I have been vegan for 18months now and I totally love it and will never go back to just being veggie but I lack support from like minded people on this site and constantly get bashed for 'not enough protein' bull**** from people who consume whey like it's going out of fashion and honestly it's just a downer and even some have made me doubt everything there is to know about a vegan diet even though I know what makes me happy and healthy.
Basically all I am asking for is for you peepie peeps to send some encouragement and support my way (go for an add too :) )

I am 80/10/10....well i hope i am for the most part, i did used to eat a lot of nuts and seeds daily but not so much anymore.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't let the haters get you down. As great as this website is for encouragement there are plenty of downers out there too who will find something wrong with someone some how. Seems like the plant strong folks are the easy targets for most. As for the protein argument, how many people do you know who are suffering from a protein deficit? I've been eating mostly vegan for close to 9 months now and most days my protein intake is just fine and when I'm "low" I don't see where it has hurt me any.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of misinformed yahoos out of the main section of this site, but the vegan groups are pretty helpful, though not as many people. Feel free to add me, i do 80/10/10 vegan, with some cooked veggies, too.
  • JackiePenner
    JackiePenner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    just starting my journey with 80/10/10...newly vegan.....would love a new friend
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Can you guys convince me that 80/10/10 is enough daily protein to maintain muscle mass for someone doing progressive bodyweight and yoga at intermediate intensity? I would like to think so. I am also newly vegan.
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Can you guys convince me that 80/10/10 is enough daily protein to maintain muscle mass for someone doing progressive bodyweight and yoga at intermediate intensity? I would like to think so. I am also newly vegan.

the same way you saw that the myth* of vegans not getting enough protein through research and trial and error:drinker: is the same way you should approach 80/10/10 , no ones answer will suffice:noway: , you have to look at what works for your body chemistry.:flowerforyou:
  • yogicarl
    Options
    OK, thanks.

As things are now, I feel the recommended 1g protein per 1lb lean mass is ludicrous, even for extreme athletes, but obviously concerned to make sure I am getting enough for my best health.

I think my first ratio will likely be 60:20:20 as I want to feel comfortable as I lose the last 20lbs overweight.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm not a raw vegan, but I follow 80/10/10 per Dr. T. Colin Campbell's advice. My diary is open and I'm on here daily. Send me a friend request, if you'd like :)
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How about a photos for your wall of a rhino, an elephant, a horse, and gorgeous Mr. Rip Essylstein (or any other vegan athlete). Google "images vegan athletes" and you'll get a ton. I don't know if they all follow 80/10/10, but Rip and Scott Jurek do.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Im 80/10/10 but with sometimes cooked food :)
  • rachelmuscle
    rachelmuscle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Love all the positive support. I'm vegan eating a primarily low fat vegan diet but I do love me some cooked veggie soups in the winter. I also substitute BeyondMeat chicken-free strips simply because I love them :) Also, I have competed in many figure shows, but never as a vegan (will be shooting for 2014 once I finish my MD). I do believe the majority of people can follow the 80/10/10 without any protein deficiencies. However, with my back ground in bodybuilding (and I'm a 4th year medstudent), and as an avid yogini, I do take in more protein to maintain my muscle mass.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    can someone give me the "short and sweet" version of what 80/10/10 means? I'm plantstrong, but largely from my garden and very few store bought sources. I keep my numbers pretty much in line on MFP and feel great. Trying not to eat bread foods, but otherwise cooking my veggies. Is it about eating raw?
  • yogicarl
    Options
    80:10:10 would be your daily macros set to 80% Carbohydrates, 10% Proteins and 10% Fats.
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A balanced vegan diet provides plenty of protein, but I'm not sure that a 80/10/10 does.

Let me explain. If you are eating at maintenance it's (debatable but) possible that 10% of the calories will give you enough protein, but if you are on a caloric restriction it's highly unlikely. I'm not saying that you will suffer dire consequences but many studies found that a higher protein ratio will preserve more FFM (fat free mass), i.e. muscle. So it's probable that on a 80/10/10 diet you will loose, along with fat, more muscle than on a, say, 40/30/30 diet, especially if you add strenght training to your activities (as you should).

You can read some interesting findings and plenty of references here: http://goo.gl/RbLEX

Stiegler P, Cunliffe A. The role of diet and exercise for the maintenance of fat-free mass and resting metabolic rate during weight loss. Sports Med. 2006;36(3):239–262.

"Research to date suggests that the addition of exercise programmes to dietary restriction can promote more favourable changes in body composition than diet or physical activity on its own. Moreover, recent research indicates that the macronutrient content of the energy-restricted diet may influence body compositional alterations following exercise regimens. Protein emerges as an important factor for the maintenance of or increase in FFM induced by exercise training."
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's about eating whole foods, mostly fruit and fresh young green leafs, but not necessarily 100% raw. The daily ratio does not need to be exactly 80/10/10, that is more of a baseline. If you are a weight lifter, you may go for more protein, or if you are an endurance athlete, you might eat less protein. Also, it's not needed to hit the same ratio everyday. Some days will include some avocado, or some nuts or seeds, driving your fat percentage up, and other days will be heavier on the fruit and veg, keeping it lower. In addition to that, some parts of the year will have different ratios. You might eat more nuts in the fall when they are ripe and in season, and more fruit in the summer, when it's in season. It's more of a baseline average over the year than a strict rule.

Douglas Graham's book on the subject goes into great detail, and i would highly recommend it to anyone interested in 80/10/10. (It's available for free online somewhere; i remember i started reading it online before i bought my copy)
  • SkinneyGirl28
    SkinneyGirl28 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    According to what I have read in the past, most people eat far too much protein. As for me, about once a week, I'll eat 10 raw almonds. 10 raw almonds give you all the protein and all the calcium you need for a day's supply. Other than that, I don't worry about my numbers. I happen to have a very high metabolism. When I leave off the processed vegan foods, I have trouble gaining weight! Right now I am 7 - 12 pounds underweight! Potatoes, here I come!

Skinneygirl 28:wink:
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    10 raw almonds give you all the protein and all the calcium you need for a day's supply.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true.

10 almonds weight roughly 10 grams, and they contain 2.5g of protein, which is almost nothing, even if you are following a 80/10/10 diet.

And it's true that they are rich in calcium, but 10 grams of almonds contains only 25 mg of it, that is 3-4% of the RDA (800 mg daily).
  • yogicarl
    Options
    I'm with coccodrillo on this one.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been following 80/10/10 for over two years and have had no issues with protein. I feel my best actually with my macros at 90/5/5.

I run, bike, teach yoga and lift heavy weights. My recovery time is super fast and my gains are better now then they were when I was on higher protein.

Nuts, seeds and other overt fats leave me feeling sick so half the time I omit them and still have no issues. If your calorie restricting then you'll find problems along the way, Eat enough!
  • cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Most high carb vegans eat between 3,000-4,000 or more calories PER DAY. SO 10% of those calories from protein would be enough. If you're calorie restricting- which is not what the high carb vegan lifestyle is about- then you won't be getting much protein- but you also don't be getting much of anything either!

I highly recommend looking into Dough Graham's 80/10/10 book and you can watch John McDougall's lectures on YouTube where he explains the benefits of eating high carb/low fat.
    McDougall also wrote a book called The Starch Solution- which takes a different approach to high carb eating than Doug, who advocates more fruit, but basically says high carb vegan diet is where its at.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This would be tough for me, mostly because I love my healthy fats and am one of those people who think that coconut oil is a miracle food :D Also, while I think conventional thought on protein needs is flawed I do feel more full when I'm mindful about including enough protein. Not excessive protein, but enough. I follow a vegan diet in which I try to adhere to ayurvedic principles in my eating. If there's one thing I've learned from ayurveda it's that one person's medicine is another's poison. If 80/10/10 or another ratio works for you go with it, if not find what does work.