Thanksgiving Blues

Options
This time of year has so much to do with family and tradition. I am feeling a bit down about the fact that I will not be able to have dinner like the rest of my family. Even if I wanted to I'm not capable of enjoying today like I would in the past. Is anyone else feeling this way?

Replies

• therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling down, but I have faith you can still enjoy the day. Family and loved ones are what make it special, not the food. If you really need both, and the food is really important, make a plate and put one bite of everything on it. Taste everything rather than eat everything. Small bites and eat slow. This way you can enjoy without feeling left out or deprived. Maybe make a new tradition with your family and god for a walk or play a game of touch football. Getting active will help reduce the blues and burn some of the calories you eat.

Good luck!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Theresa has very good points, and I'm going to ask you a question; Why do you perceive you won't enjoy Thanksgiving? Is Thanksgiving enjoyment only eating a massive meal, or is it the family and friends that make it special?

I have to honestly admit that my wife and I talked this out well before the holiday. In our favor, our son dislikes turkey and ham so there was no real push to make a traditional meal since our daughter wasn't coming home this year.

Our main holiday meal turned into a 340 calorie feast. I can't recall feeling this over full on too many former holidays. What I miss more than I can say is being with more family. Next year we will either have family and friends here, or we may travel.

Enjoy the social, and think how great next years celebration will be with another year of weight loss behind you.

Feel good about what you have done, and what you are doing for improving your life so you have years ahead of you to enjoy these days as they should be enjoyed.

Best wishes to you for a Happy Holiday.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    My brother invited us at the last minute. I was so tickled to be with family. And happily surprised that there were foods I could eat. There was delicious turkey, spinach salad with a delicious strawberry vinaigrette, green beans in light oil and spices, and baby carrots that tasted like candy. It was a feast.

Everyone else piled on the gravy and muffins and potatoes and stuffing and pie, and I felt so sorry for them, knowing what their future bodies will look like. Because yes, it will stick. I love them dearly, and it isn't my place to tell them what they already know, but many of them are on their way to obesity and will feel awful about their spreading waistlines in a few years.

I was stuffed, and happy, and full of yummy food, and very grateful that I didn't have room to eat the other stuff. This pouch is such a wonderful gift!

Hope you feel better!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    BoysMomma, I hope your Thanksgiving turned out better than you aniticipated. I am 2+ years out and did this year what I've done every year since surgery, had a full serving of turkey, some green beans and a little cranberry sauce. Then I chose the stuffing over the potatoes and had a little gravy on the tablespoon of stuffing. I didn't have any of the rolls and just a bite of one of the pies. I wasn't stuffed afterwards, but I was satisfied. The other suggestions of a tablespoon of each dish is also a good idea. Either way you don't feel deprived and get to enjoy the meal with the family. Part of our journey here is to change how we view food. Part of that is realizing that the food is not the main component of these holiday get togethers. Being with those we love is the main component, the most important part of the gathering. Again, I hope your day was better than anticipated. Hang in there. We have Christmas and New Years to get through as well.
  • BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You guys were so right. I had a bad attitude from the beginning. This surprised me because I have never really been into the whole Thanksgiving food before. I am a picky eater and it seemed like a lot of weird food I wouldn't eat anyway. this time I got so caught up in the "can't have" instead of what the day was about. In the end I had some turkey, ham, and green bean casserole. I only had to skip the rolls. The best part was that I had fun with my family and had a good time despite my mood at the beginning of the day.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    In the end I had some turkey, ham, and green bean casserole. I only had to skip the rolls. The best part was that I had fun with my family and had a good time
    How exciting for you. Congratulations on having fun!