Who did you tell before end of first trimester?

Options
Mslmesq
Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
Did you spill the beans at all to anyone? Or was it just between you, husband/significant other, and care-givers?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    We told quite a few family members, friends and co workers. We told very few before we had the eight week ultrasound though.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    everybody!!! I wanted to wait until Hanukkah party which is Saturday after thanksgiving (husband is Jewish and we have a big party with my family his and closest friends), but my husband was very excited and wanted to tell everyone, so we did as soon as we found out.... we live in a small town, so it is easy to let everyone know lol... (just tell 1 person) hahahhhaa
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Just my mum and his mum until we'd had our 12/13 week scan.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    We kept things under wraps for a looooong time. I told my mom towards the end of my first trimester, my in-laws a couple weeks later. Close friends knew when I was anywhere from 6-12 weeks (they noticed the lack of wine at our dinners long before my mom would've!). Others found out as we saw them, probably between 18-30 weeks.

We didn't actually announce publicly (facebook) until I was 33 weeks. I'm the kinda girl who--as much as I've enjoyed being pregnant--didn't want to be judged for mowing my lawn, kayaking, and sipping a homebrew. Plus I knew once everybody knew the conversation would switch from books, wine, movies, economics, etc... to breast pumps and the safety of bumpers. I know it's not right for many, but it was right for us!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Oh, pretty much everyone. I was out right around the 10 wk mark, and before that it was family and close friends.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had planned on only telling family (which we did at 7 weeks) and my boss so that he wouldn't hear from gossip at work because I was SOOO sick in the first trimester. Well Turns out people started guessing so we ended up "telling" FB at 10 weeks after our first U/S....if I hadn't been as sick we would have waited until I was showing/12+ weeks
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    We told my parents, my MIL and my SIL pretty much right after finding out at 4 weeks.

I told two friends pretty soon too. In fact, I may have freaked out and mentioned it to them before even mentioning it to my husband. lol

We had one friend guess the other day after we visited with them and food aversions and sickness made it kind of obvious. And that's it.

We'll be telling everyone at Christmas, which will put me right around 14 weeks.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am not good at keeping things to myself. My husband told me I could tell anyone I want on my side of the family and my friends but not to say anything to his family, because he wants to tell them.
    Well, I told all my family and friends and coworkers, just as I saw them, between 6 and 9 weeks. Pretty much everyone on my side knows now.
    My husband still hasn't told a soul. He is always gone, working out of town, and never sees any of his family. He wants to tell them in person so I am beginning to wonder if he will get around to it before it is super obvious.
    In the meantime, I see his family and friends all the time! (What happens when you live near each other) and I am having the darndest time keeping my mouth shut. I am beginning to feel it is unfair, lol. My husband knows the way I am, maybe he did it to torture me... kidding, of course. I secretly hope my daughter lets it slip, he never told her not to tell.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We told our immediate family members (parents, siblings, etc) when we got confirmation from the dr and we figured we were about 7 weeks along and we were going to wait to announce it to everyone once we neared the end of the first trimester. However, a few days later when we went for the first ultrasound, we were in fact, 11 weeks! I have a hard time keeping a secret, especially like this, so we announced the same day of the Ultrasound lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    there was no spillage until after the 13th week when i had the first ultrasound and knew the baby was fine. After my first pregnancy and miscarriage I couldnt bear telling everyone that we lost it...if we had.

i didnt make it public until about 26 weeks
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    We told immediate family at 6 weeks when we found out, told my supervisor at work as well since i was fairly sick, then a few family friends at 8-9 weeks. I told my boss this week at 11weeks and then next week my husband has permission to tell whoever he wants, he's been DYING to shout it from the rooftops, lol
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Just got home from my mother in laws, had to drop some things off. I really think she knows. She told me "you need to tell my son to call me, we need to have a talk!" I asked her what he did and she looks at me up and down and says "oh, it isn't what he did. What he did was fine, its what he didnt do."
    Then, my husband called me on my way home. He says "you didnt tell my mother did you? Cause she just text me saying that we need to have a talk and that is the only thing I can think of."
    My mother in law refused to tell me what it was about, she said she wanted to talk to him first. I am so going to laugh if she found out from someone else, I told my husband she probably would. She is the type that is probably going to chew him out a little for not telling her himself.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Haha Tiggerhammon! You made me lol :laugh:
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    My husband saved his butt by telling her that he was planning on telling her as a Christmas surprise.
    Now that my mother in law knows, it won't be long before his whole family knows.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Haha! That was quick thinking :wink:

I did something similar once with my mother-in-law and our second child. Her birthday is Dec 6th and instead of telling her we pasted the first scan picture inside her birthday card. It took a few seconds to register what she was looking at before she burst into tears!
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband and I couldn't wait to spread the news, so we told our family the day we found out we were pregnant, then updated the rest of our extended family and friends about a week after that!
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We told our parents and siblings. I also told my boss at work as did he. Everyone had to wait until after 12 weeks :-)
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Apart from our immediate family, we told people as the opportunity presented itself. (I am not doing any sort of FB announcement.) We did not wait until the end of the first trimester. My thought is that miscarriage is not talked about enough. So, if that misfortune were to befall me, I a) could not keep it myself and b) wanted to contribute to dialogue about something that women don't talk about enough.

A friend of had a miscarriage earlier this year and we talked about how little women talk about miscarriage. Our conversations really informed my decision to tell everyone.

And, lastly, in a few pics of me on facebook, I actually had two friends message me saying I had a "maternal glow." This was before I told them I was pregnant. Pretty neat!
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just my family and close friends. Planning on telling his family after the first tri
  • pammyxjean
    pammyxjean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As soon as I found out I told EVERYONE, at church, grocery store, BUT if you have a history of miscarriage, Id wait till second.