Retailers who are open on Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't care if retailers are open on the holidays or not... As long as the workers are being properly compensated. There have been a few times where I have been genuinely grateful that a grocery store has been open when everything else is closed.

What I don't like is all the Black Friday crap that feeds into peoples greed and materialism.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Granted, if you're one of the only gas stations (or food places) open in the area, then it's going to be a busy day for you,

This isn't necessarily true.... I went into Walmart this past Thanksgiving day a few hours before the Black "Friday" sales started and there weren't many people around (outside of the employees setting things up)... I have also been in an Albertson's on Christmas day and it was practically deserted... Even been to Cracker Barrel on a Thanksgiving day and it wasn't that bad... BUT I have worked food service on the day after holiday's and it was a madhouse... absolutely horrid.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a European mindset. We spent 1 1/2 years in Germany. No stores are open on Sunday. It's just not done. No one dies because they can't get milk on Sunday. They plan for it. Now we're in the UK. We've been here since July. Stores are closed a lot earlier here than in the states. You know how people manage to function? They shop earlier. They plan for it. Americans are much more "instant gratification" and "it's all about me". You can see it in the comments above. If someone actually wants to spend time with their family they should get another job. If they want to go shopping they will and they don't care who has to suffer because of it. If Americans want milk at 3am on a Sunday there is someplace open, probably within a matter of just a few miles, who will sell it to them. Ditto video games, a burger, etc. If Americans are told they can't shop on Sunday they go ballistic. You'd think the day moved around and they never knew it was coming right after Saturday. They can't function. I saw it a lot in Germany. I see it here "What do you mean the store closes at 4:00?!?!" It's all me me me all the time. It's disgusting.

The reason we can't get to the store at 4:00 is because the typical American workday ends at 5-- if you're lucky.

Americans work more hours than Europeans. That might explain why we have less time to do our shopping than you do: http://www.nber.org/papers/w11278

It's not like Europeans are these mythical creatures who know no greed, who want no items, and who never run out of milk at an inopportune time. We're all humans. I'm sure some Germans would love to get Black Friday deals. Just because it's not a thing in their country doesn't mean they wouldn't react the same way as Americans, were it instated.

I really take offense to your tone.

I also take great offense to
    I think that they should be grateful for their jobs, not the holiday pay. Employers aren't even required to pay it in every state. Besides, I'm sure that they know far enough in advance that they'll have to work on Thanksgiving. They can rearrange their plans. This is just part of being an adult. If they don't like it, they should find employment with companies that are closed on holidays.

1. It is NOT easy to switch jobs
    2. Especially if you are working in retail-- many people in retail are illegal immigrants, have handicaps, haven't got a college degree, or are in some way disadvantaged
    3. Retail pays crap, so to work on holidays for a horrid wage is just inhuman (have some sympathy!)
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a European mindset. We spent 1 1/2 years in Germany. No stores are open on Sunday. It's just not done. No one dies because they can't get milk on Sunday. They plan for it. Now we're in the UK. We've been here since July. Stores are closed a lot earlier here than in the states. You know how people manage to function? They shop earlier. They plan for it. Americans are much more "instant gratification" and "it's all about me". You can see it in the comments above. If someone actually wants to spend time with their family they should get another job. If they want to go shopping they will and they don't care who has to suffer because of it. If Americans want milk at 3am on a Sunday there is someplace open, probably within a matter of just a few miles, who will sell it to them. Ditto video games, a burger, etc. If Americans are told they can't shop on Sunday they go ballistic. You'd think the day moved around and they never knew it was coming right after Saturday. They can't function. I saw it a lot in Germany. I see it here "What do you mean the store closes at 4:00?!?!" It's all me me me all the time. It's disgusting.

The reason we can't get to the store at 4:00 is because the typical American workday ends at 5-- if you're lucky.

Americans work more hours than Europeans. That might explain why we have less time to do our shopping than you do: http://www.nber.org/papers/w11278

It's not like Europeans are these mythical creatures who know no greed, who want no items, and who never run out of milk at an inopportune time. We're all humans. I'm sure some Germans would love to get Black Friday deals. Just because it's not a thing in their country doesn't mean they wouldn't react the same way as Americans, were it instated.

I really take offense to your tone.

I'm not European. I'm American. I just live in the UK now. I am well aware of how many hours Americans work. I never suggested that stores close up at 5. I merely pointed out that Americans tend to be very self centered and expect stores to be open 24/7 on the off chance that they want something. Americans are the most me, me, me now, now, now culture I've ever known. Other countries realize that employees deserve a day off once in a while. American corporate mindset rules that country though and if there is a chance that they can turn a profit they don't give a damn who has to deal with what for it to happen. If you don't like that then work to change it and don't fuel the problem by shopping on Thanksgiving or at stores like Walmart who cost people a LOT more than they charge at the register due to corporate and welfare subsidies that we all pay for every store.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Honestly, I'm grateful that stores don't close until 10 around here... Why? Because I work Monday through Friday until 5 and don't get home until close to 6. I like to do my grocery shopping after 8 pm on a Friday... why? So I can spend the whole weekend doing other things with my family. I get done shopping faster as well. Otherwise I am going at 8 am on a Saturday and it rushes my whole weekend.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm grateful that stores don't close until 10 around here... Why? Because I work Monday through Friday until 5 and don't get home until close to 6. I like to do my grocery shopping after 8 pm on a Friday... why? So I can spend the whole weekend doing other things with my family. I get done shopping faster as well. Otherwise I am going at 8 am on a Saturday and it rushes my whole weekend.

Yeah, I don't mind stores being open late in general, even 24 hours. That actually helps people with odd schedules have a place to work (second job, school, etc), or even get their usual chores done on the schedule that works for them. As long as the company's reasonable about their shift work policies (ie - people work the odd hours because they choose to, or the companies don't do stupid stuff like make them work a 4-midnight shift then expect them in again at 9am), and otherwise take the employees' needs into consideration, I have no problem with it.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My nephew was fired because he didn't work today. he told his boss he wouldn't be able to work on Thanksgiving weekend 3 months ago. His parents bought airline tickets and they all flew to CA from MI for the holiday. Last week his boss scheduled him to work today anyhow. He told him "I can't. I already told you about this months ago. We have airline tickets to CA and we leave Tuesday after I get off work." His boss told him "Well you have a choice. You can spend Thanksgiving in CA or you can have a job."
    Some blessings come in the form of a curse. The problem with being an employee is that you don't make the rules. The problem of being a business owner is that you have to compete with other businesses or be out of business, and in CA, employees are easy to come by and replace.

I am sorry for your nephew, and I hope he finds something better in his near future.

As for me... I have worked weekends, holidays, days, nights, swing shift, etc, and I have accepted this as part of my job since the very very start. I have worked mostly in Emergency Rooms and - well - people just don't know how to schedule their emergencies and heart attacks and car accidents. ... Maybe it's the instant gratification thing.

I celebrate Christmas on ... any day I'm off Christmas week. I celebrate New Years at Midnight on the 31st no matter where I am at. Sometimes I have to celebrate it with my co-workers.

If a job fired me because I chose my family over the job... good riddance. My family comes first.... I just schedule it that way... based on my work schedule. If they have an emergency... HEY double bonus. Come to MY ER, I get paid to take care of you AND I get to spend time with you. jk jk jk

What do I think about corporations trying to make money by being open on a holiday? Good for them. I might not go buy on that day because I am working or spending it with my family, but if it makes sense to them, them it makes sense.