Clothes and Psychology

Options
drosebud
drosebud Posts: 277 Member
I have dropped two dress sizes (20+ down to 16) in the past four months, and am feeling very positive about getting down to my target (14) in the next six months. I recently bought some new jeans as my old ones were just way too baggy (yay!). Some of them were quite new, and I now have several pairs stacked and ready for the charity bag.

Anyway, I didn't think twice about keeping too-small clothes when I put on the weight, but am in two minds about keeping too-large clothes. I am not the typical yo-yo dieter: I put on weight very gradually over the past few years, and this is the first serious diet I've ever managed to attempt in my adult life (apart from when I got married, but that was nearly 25 years ago now).

I'm very happy to be in such a quandary, of course, and am cautiously confident that my mindset has changed such that I won't put it all back on again in a few months. It's tempting to just get rid of them all, but I'm finding that hard to get my head around. I thought I'd maybe keep a couple of old favourites in the next size up, but wondered what others would do in such a situation?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Burn them all (or at least get rid of them), that way you have no option to go up a size, unless you become a naturist!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've got rid of all my clothes that are now too big - my "lucky interview shirt" is the latest.

Two reasons:
    Mentally it says I'm never going back to the size I was for 20 years.
    I have a 19 year old daughter so wardrobe space is at a premium.
  • carolinehowells
    carolinehowells Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would defiantly get rid of them. If they are still in good condition maybe you could ebay them.
    When I lost a lot of weight 5 years ago I gave all my too big clothes to charity. Over the last year I've gradually put on a stone and am now bursting out of my clothes, I refuse to buy bigger clothes that's why I'm back here working hard to get the stone of so I can feel comfortable in my clothes again. I think if I still had the bigger clothes I probably wouldn't of started back on Mfp and would of put all the weight back on.
  • drosebud
    Options
    I've decided to clear out all but a couple of my favourite sized 18s. They are going out of my reach on top of the wardrobe. If I need to get the ladders down to retrieve them then I know I need to reassess where I'm at. I'm rather planning (not hoping, it's more focused than that!) that instead I will fit into a very fetching size 14 dress that a friend of mine has donated as a motivating target.
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping one pair of trousers and a top from the start. Not to wear again but to show to me how much things have changed. When I feel like I'm not getting anywhere I put them back on. The pants only just about stay up, I certainly couldn't wear them in public.

Good luck on your size 14s :)
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I've thought about this too, upto now I've decided to clear them out and take them to a shop where they give you cash for old clothes etc. Think it will do you good psychologically. :bigsmile:
  • drosebud
    Options
    I like the idea of keeping something to show how much my shape has changed. My mind is lagging behind with where my body is currently at and I still sometimes catch myself thinking "I'll never fit into those small jeans" when getting dressed. Apart from a couple of 18 jeans, I've given away all the others to a friend today.

I still need to have a sort through the rest of my wardrobe, but have a lot of space now where several pairs of trousers and one suit were. A shopping trip will be needed in the spring, but I'm hoping to get through the winter months without spending too much money!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've cleared out my big clothes, if they weren't worn out, they went to charity. To keep costs low, I've bought 'new' clothes from charity shops, you can pick up some real bargains! I've kept my favourite pair of going out trousers from when I was a size 24/26. I'm a size 16/18 now and aiming to get to a size 14.

Good luck on your journey x
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    In UK, size 14 and 16 is the most common size. I'm a size 18, and struggle to find this size in shops as well as charity shops. I think it would be nice if people donated more of their clothes. If you're conserned about 'spotting' your old fav jeans on a stranger, then donate to a charity out of town. Donating to Red Cross, or a charity for asylum seekers and refugees would be a great xmas gift. I found myself in dire strait after a fire and with the help from Red Cross, local charities, and friends, I had clothes and shoes to go to work in, after just a couple of days.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine to charity, with the exception of a couple of posh frocks....... My wardrobe is and always been full of scruffy and casual wear, so when I got invited to a function I always had a few really good, expensive frocks to hand. These I've hung onto because a. I'm a poor cheapskate and I'm not likely to be able to afford anything like them again and b. I like to look at them and think "wow, I will never need them again" and "whoop they're too big"
    I loan them to a friend every now and then too