weight loss success stories

Options
broox80
broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
Hi new Crossfit fam!! I have been doing Crossfit for a month. I love it and how it makes me feel. Before Crossfit I would walk at slow pace or ride my stationary bike. I have gained about 3 pounds which I am ok with. I figure I am building up those muscles. So has anyone lost a considerable amount of weight and how long did it take to start losing from Crossfit?

Replies

• irvisscott
    irvisscott Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am down 53 lbs. from 5 and half months of crossfit and half decent eating. It comes in spurts and was slow to start for me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My weight loss the first few months was neglible but my clothing fit much better so I didn't mind much.

Our gym did a Paleo Challenge for most of OCtober and in those 30 days I lost 18 lbs and have only put about 4 back on. After turkey day I'm going to go back to Paleo pretty hard until Xmas then again afterward to get ready for a competition on January 12th. I would like to be in the 270s for that.
  • TXBecki
    Options
    I've lost 57 lbs and dropped 3 pants sizes and 4 shirt sizes doing CF over the course of the year. There were times when I was super strict on diet, and then others where I fell off the wagon a bit with eating, so I could likely have lost more, but the amount of muscle I've packed on is ridiculous and am very proud of how far I've come. I find that I've become more concerned about working towards hitting higher PR's than worrying about how much I'm losing. That has helped me not obsess over the scale, etc. Here's to that elusive 300-lb back squat...you will be mine on max out day in 3 weeks! Best of luck to you!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Holy cow - 300 lb back squat! BEAST! ^^

I personally have only lost 15 lbs in about 5 months, but my metabolism is jacked and I haven't had the motivation to cut the cals like I should. That being said, we have a girl at our box that started in April 2013 and has lost 90+ lbs (314 to 224 lbs) doing CF 4+ times a week and strict paleo. Like STRICT Paleo - she is kind of OCD about it.

I'm hoping to pick up strict Paleo at the turn of the year and try to buckle down to get some of this weight off.

Good luck!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about a year and a half. If you can get to a BodPod in your area, I would really recommend it. And, do it now when you are just starting. I wish I would have done it sooner.

I went and had my Body Fat measured back in May. I was kind of disappointed, but it was a starting point and it really helped me push myself. I have been playing around with various eating styles (not diets! lol) Paleo is simply not enough carbs if I want to make gains in muscle. If you have seen the CrossFit HQ posts on FB, they asked the games competitors who did Paleo and I think either 0 or just 1 raised their hand. But, anyway, I digress. I do more of a Clean Eat plus carbs built around my workouts...carbs are usually at night (I do early am WODs). So, I went back to have my BodPod done again just a few weeks ago. It had been a little more than 5 months. I knew I had actually gained a few pounds, so I was just hoping for the same % of body fat. Well, it ended up that I had gained 4# on the scale, but my body fat had gone down 6# and my lean muscle had gone up 10# for a total of -5% in my body fat! I was sooooo thrilled!

It certainly confirms that you can't always watch the scale. And, yes, I can tell the difference in the way my body looks as well.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Holy cow - 300 lb back squat! BEAST! ^^

I personally have only lost 15 lbs in about 5 months, but my metabolism is jacked and I haven't had the motivation to cut the cals like I should. That being said, we have a girl at our box that started in April 2013 and has lost 90+ lbs (314 to 224 lbs) doing CF 4+ times a week and strict paleo. Like STRICT Paleo - she is kind of OCD about it.

I'm hoping to pick up strict Paleo at the turn of the year and try to buckle down to get some of this weight off.

Good luck!

I agree, that is a tremendous back squat. I'm 6'3 and about 290 (and dropping!) and my last 1RM was 335. Probably could have gone to 355 but we ran out of time and had to move from the strength work to the WOD.

Try to pick two meals a day to do paleo. Ideally breakfast and lunch then eat a reasonable dinner. That will really get things started for you and won't seem too extreme or crazy. Then start moving more to Paleo dinners when you can. I did that working up to our Paleo challenge and really didn't feel the loss too much.

My secret weapon: get some of those organic fruit squeeze pouches. Yes they have sugar, but it's from the fruit and not added. I will fire one down after a workout for carb replacement if I am feeling the need. THey are about 60 calories and taste sweeter than they really are so it helps kill that sweet craving at the same time.

For me breakfast and lunch are almost always the same. Breakfast is 3 whole eggs, two whites and a whole avocado. Maybe some meat if I feel I need the protein. Lunch is either homemade Paleo chili (lots of peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots with the meat. Dinner is some sort of protein with vegetables. Maybe a protein shake post workout, sometimes not. Depends on if I'm hungry.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree, that is a tremendous back squat. I'm 6'3 and about 290 (and dropping!) and my last 1RM was 335. Probably could have gone to 355 but we ran out of time and had to move from the strength work to the WOD.

Try to pick two meals a day to do paleo. Ideally breakfast and lunch then eat a reasonable dinner. That will really get things started for you and won't seem too extreme or crazy. Then start moving more to Paleo dinners when you can. I did that working up to our Paleo challenge and really didn't feel the loss too much.

My secret weapon: get some of those organic fruit squeeze pouches. Yes they have sugar, but it's from the fruit and not added. I will fire one down after a workout for carb replacement if I am feeling the need. THey are about 60 calories and taste sweeter than they really are so it helps kill that sweet craving at the same time.

For me breakfast and lunch are almost always the same. Breakfast is 3 whole eggs, two whites and a whole avocado. Maybe some meat if I feel I need the protein. Lunch is either homemade Paleo chili (lots of peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots with the meat. Dinner is some sort of protein with vegetables. Maybe a protein shake post workout, sometimes not. Depends on if I'm hungry.

Thank you!