Random motivators

Options
As it gets colder here, the more I look at my treadmill with disdain. But lo and behold, motivation is everywhere. Last night was family movie night, and the choice was Iron Man 3. While there were many hot bods in the movie, my greatest motivation was Gwyneth Paltrow's. I woke up this morning ready to show my treadmill who's boss by performing some intervals.

What has been your motivation during these cold days?

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I misplaced mine somewhere... I've been looking for it.
  • jilliannjie
    Options

Do you want to loan my copy of Iron Man 3? Lol.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get motivation from the go getters at the gym...you know the ones that are there everyday with a sense of purpose. They don't necessarily have to be the strongest or the fastest...just carry the desire to get up and do something. Motivation is a rollercoaster to me. I was at the top of my game Nov.2 when I ran the monumental half and then I checked out. In the last two years of this fitness journey I've learned to not beat myself up and draw a line in the sand. December is a new month so out with the booze, bad food and missed gym sessions! I will be better at 41 than at 40.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options

Do you want to loan my copy of Iron Man 3? Lol.

What will that do for me exactly? (I'm sorry, I'm a bit obtuse at times)
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I get motivation from the go getters at the gym...you know the ones that are there everyday with a sense of purpose. They don't necessarily have to be the strongest or the fastest...just carry the desire to get up and do something. Motivation is a rollercoaster to me. I was at the top of my game Nov.2 when I ran the monumental half and then I checked out. In the last two years of this fitness journey I've learned to not beat myself up and draw a line in the sand. December is a new month so out with the booze, bad food and missed gym sessions! I will be better at 41 than at 40.

Sage advice, friend...
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Well, I finally did something this morning and got on the treadmill... the wifey helped motivate me.... :bigsmile:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    At 38, I may be one of the oldest guy running laps around the canal downtown. Everyone else is in their 20's it seems. As a result, I try a little harder to keep up with the young guys and even a little harder to show the women that I'm not THAT old.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    BACON! lol
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    BACON! lol

Bacon is an excellent motivator!!
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Great post! My motivation is usually looking at before and after photos in the 'Success Stories' thread OR watching Shakira music videos - mmm hmm!

But I've been motivated recently because many of my old classmates on facebook have been doing Advocare to lose weight, posting all these "feelin great and losin weight!" posts - and I want to lose it naturally. Go team go!
  • Jennkies
    Options
    At 38, I may be one of the oldest guy running laps around the canal downtown. Everyone else is in their 20's it seems. As a result, I try a little harder to keep up with the young guys and even a little harder to show the women that I'm not THAT old.

Haha, doin it for the ladies ;) Good way to stay motivated. Keep it up!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    But I've been motivated recently because many of my old classmates on facebook have been doing Advocare to lose weight, posting all these "feelin great and losin weight!" posts - and I want to lose it naturally. Go team go!

I've been seeing this a lot too. All I can think is I'm saving money that Advocare costs to buy myself new clothes when I lose the weight! Natural is much better!
  • Jennkies
    Options

I've been seeing this a lot too. All I can think is I'm saving money that Advocare costs to buy myself new clothes when I lose the weight! Natural is much better!

Completely agree! Thanks for the support!
  • Belly2Button
    Options
    The mirror! :):laugh:
  • kmcd83
    kmcd83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm comforted to know that it's not just me that's been suffering from motivation issues in this weather! Sometimes motivation is as simple as subtracting, by subtracting excuses as to why you're not doing what you should be doing. "It's colder than your freezer outside" is a heck of an excuse to subtract!

For me, I follow on Tumblr and Twitter a bunch of the fitness feeds and take motivation from the results/progress photos of others who stay on track knowing that it really is as simple as consistently working hard and staying disciplined.

Social motivation also works well with me. I have a few friends I train on a part-time gratis basis (I don't do any professionally anymore) and my mindset is "If I'm telling them what to do, I better be on top of it myself."

As we all know, 98% of the battle is GETTING started. Once you're going on the day (related solely to exercise), chances are you're not going to quit. Sometimes I'll play the game with myself when I REALLY do not want to hit the gym is "OK, go in for 10 minutes and if you're not feeling it then leave." But by that point I'm already there and going, I never leave early :)

Great topic for these cold gray days! Perhaps remember that although it's brutal out right now, spring and summer are right around the corner..
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I find if I have a set plan I'll stick to it. I write out what I'm doing and on which day. Also, social media. Especially Instagram!
    I'm sticking to running outside for all my training runs (except intervals and hills). So, far I've been able to stick to that thanks to buying some yaktrax. This winter can suck it! I'm over it. LOL At least it's staying lighter outside longer, that helps me too.

Angie