ironandpoptarts bulking log

Options
So I'm a little late to the game here. Name's Heather and I started my first bulk the last week of September. I'm 10 weeks in and I still have 2 months to go. I'd like to keep better track. I started my bulk because after I dropped my body fat down to where I wanted, I wasn't happy with the LBM I had left. My lowest weight was 114 at 17-18% bf. I felt super scrawny so here I am trying to add some muscle. I never thought it would be this hard to gain weight. It took me weeks to gain a pound. 10 weeks in, I'm up 5 lbs now. It's been a slow process. I intend to bulk through January and assess how I feel then. I may cut, I may continue to bulk. Not sure yet.

Currently doing my own thing as far as lifting is concerned. Really focusing on bringing up my legs and building an *kitten*. I'm also following IIFYM since the idea of eating this much clean food means I'd be stuffing my face all day.

Calories - 2400, 150 g protein, 67 g fat, 300 g carbs, 32 g fiber

Stats -

9/22/13
Weight - 115 lbs
BF - 17-18%
Waist - 25
Belly - 28
Bust - 32.5
Shoulder Span - 18
Hips - 32.5
*kitten* - 33.75
Thigh - 20
Bicep - 10
Calf - 11.25

10/16/13
Weight - 117 lbs
Waist - 25.5
Belly - 28.5
Bust - 32.5
Shoulder Span - 18
Hips - 32.5
*kitten* - 34
Thigh - 20
Bicep - 10.5
Calf 11.35

11/22/13
Weight - 120 lbs
Waist - 26
Belly - 28.75
Bust - 33
Shoulder Span - 19
Hips - 33
Thigh - 21
Calf - 11.5

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Well done Heather!

That sounds like a really well controlled bulk. Great results, and you're probably looking curvier and feeling more empowered by the day.
    I've just finished my 6 week bulk today! Gained 3lb and kicked and screamed the whole way. I think I did 18 hours of heavy weights to gain 1.5lb muscle LOL. I'm cutting now until the 18th, plan to lose 1lb of fat and not one GRAM of muscle! It was too hard earned! If I drop a load of water weight in the next few days I'm going to be peed off.

If I feel it worked I'm going to keep doing these shortish bulk/cut cycles whenever I can fit them around triathlon training.

Good luck! What your destination weight/size before u cut again?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    In for my girl! So proud and happy to share this journey and Poptarts with you!
  • ironandpoptarts
    Options
    Screwed up my last stats

add in for 11/22
    *kitten* - 34.5
    bicep - 10.5
  • ironandpoptarts
    Options
    Well done Heather!

That sounds like a really well controlled bulk. Great results, and you're probably looking curvier and feeling more empowered by the day.
    I've just finished my 6 week bulk today! Gained 3lb and kicked and screamed the whole way. I think I did 18 hours of heavy weights to gain 1.5lb muscle LOL. I'm cutting now until the 18th, plan to lose 1lb of fat and not one GRAM of muscle! It was too hard earned! If I drop a load of water weight in the next few days I'm going to be peed off.

If I feel it worked I'm going to keep doing these shortish bulk/cut cycles whenever I can fit them around triathlon training.

Good luck! What your destination weight/size before u cut again?

Honestly, I don't have a goal weight. I really want to go by what I see in the mirror. If I'm not happy with the gains I've made by the end of January, I might just bulk through February.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yay…glad to see you post here!!!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Looks like our reasons for bulking are rather similar! You're doing a much more controlled bulk then I am though. keep up the good work!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Yea! Heather's in the house! You are killing this bulk.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Looks like our reasons for bulking are rather similar! You're doing a much more controlled bulk then I am though. keep up the good work!

Same here. I felt scrawny and wanted to fill out! Welcome to the group :flowerforyou:
  • ironandpoptarts
    Options
    Weight seems to have stalled out again. I've been sitting at 120 for more than a week now. Time for another increase I think. The good thing is that I feel fuller, more filled out. I put on this pair of booty shorts I bought while I was cutting. They were actually baggy in the butt. Not anymore. Hubs is liking the new curves and I'm not complaining. It's nice to finally have something back there. Not where I want it yet, but better than no-*kitten*-at-all.

New development. There is a 5k coming up at the end of February to raise money for local autism programs. I really want to do this. I know I'll have to train for it. Not sure how this will effect my bulk and lifting schedule, but I feel like this is more important than my physique goals. I can always pick things up again when it's over. My youngest daughter is autistic and we're going to do this as a family. We'll be Team Kadence :)
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    That's so cool Heather! Have you been a runner before or are you starting from scratch? Fortunately, it's not a terribly long distance so if you up your calories to account for the extra burn, hopefully it won't have too bad of an impact. But like you said, since that's more important than it sounds like it really doesn't matter too much.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Nicely done on the new curves! I agree with Kim, depending on your endurance you'll be able to train just fine with some extra calories. You might not be super fast bc of bulking, but you'll be able to do it. 5Ks are a really fun distance and it's very family orientated so unless you're a sport runner, time and placing is really no concern of mine. I do them for fun and to get others out there. The only time I care about time goals etc was my 1/2's. It's for a really great cause that I know is special to you, so I say go for it! I'm thinking if doing the annual NY Day 5K as well.
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do it! What a awesome cause. A 5k shouldn't interfere with your bulking, as it's not an extremely long distance, and shouldn't require much in the way of training. I'm almost jealous that you can eat so much and not gain! I promised myself that bulking was not going to be an excuse for me to just mindlessly gorge, and I'm always mindful that the fat I gain, will be the fat I'll have to cut ( sadly I obsess over that some days) have fun with your family. If I lived in your area, I'd run too!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heather! Sounds like you are having a really well controlled bulk (I'm jealous!) My weight wen out of control when I started. I was up literally 10lbs in 3 weeks!

Definitely for the 5k. I just ran one this past weekend (I didnt train...) and Runkeeper tracked me around 35 min? It wasn't timed or anything either and for the first time ever I didnt hate running! In the summer when I did a 5k I came in around 30 min (I trained)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K during my bulk, no issue (then again, I'd just run a marathon right before I started). The goal is to go out, have fun, and raise money for an important cause. Just eat all the foodz after :drinker:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above! Just have fun and perhaps eat a tad more on running days :flowerforyou:
  • ironandpoptarts
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

I am having a fat day. One of those days that makes me think I won't make it past December with this bulk. I love that my biceps are bigger, that my legs have nice curves, but I hate this fluff around the middle. I miss being leaner.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us who have made it this far totally get where you're coming from. I can't wait for January to get here so I can say "I'm done!"
  • ironandpoptarts
    Options
    I have decided not to log my food for the rest of December. I need a break and I think I've been logging long enough to handle a few weeks of freedom and still stay within my goals.

As of this morning, I'm 121.3 lbs. Yay for gains. I plugged my starting measurements into the fat2fit military calculator and then my current measurements to give me an approximate idea of how much LBM I've managed to gain. The results - I went from 95.6 lbs of LBM and 18.9 lbs of fat to......drumroll.......99.4 lbs of LBM and 21.9 lbs of fat. I'll take that!

I'm going to see where I am in January and make a decision on whether or not to continue bulking. I'm loving the gains, but not the fluffy midsection. Can't have one without the other, I know.
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    You're doing awesome but it sounds like a break from logging is well called for right now. It can be such a relief and really refreshing to do it. Enjoy!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    I love this decision! You're doing great girl and those are impressive numbers!