Week 8 Challenge

Options
Aprilstar480
Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
Well, they really didn’t give me a whole lot to work with in last night’s episode. Basically the challenge for the week was for the one contestant who was sent home and asked to continue his weight loss journey at without the luxuries of the Biggest Loser Ranch.

Jillian had Jay using all sorts of various objects to workout in his barn. He was jumping on tires, throwing bags of feed, and climbing fences. This week I am going to ask that everyone does at least one hour of exercise without the use of typical exercise equipment. Look around your house, yard, and/or neighborhood for other objects that can be used to build strength. Books, bags of dog food, a sack of potatoes, or a pillow case filled with random items could be used as weights. You can attempt those monkey bars or race your kids up and down the jungle gym at the local park. Even just climbing stairs can burn a ton of calories and give you a good workout. The possibilities are endless just get creative and share what you did with your team. This does not have to be done all at once… it can be broken up throughout the week.

An hour might be a lot for some of you so I will allow you to use “Extra Movement” (I’m stealing this idea from another challenge I’m in) for half of it. You can do anything out of the norm that you feel qualifies as extra movement. For this you could rake leaves, shovel snow, reorganize the garage, wash detail your car, take the stairs versus an elevator while your holiday shopping, play tag with your kids, return your basket to the store instead of using the cages in the parking lot. Just keep track of the minutes spent doing these things and report back to your team.

NOTE: Although I want you to check in with your team throughout the week, at the end of the week please summit a list of what you did and the total minutes spent doing it with your weigh-in. This will help your team leader out tremendously!

Extra Credit… One of the contestants mentioned that if she were sent home with her trainer she would be embarrassed by the junk food that she has in her cupboards. I’m sure we all have a few items on our shelves that we could part with. It’s the time of year that you can find donation bins all over town. Bag those things up (maybe throw in some rice and veggies) and donate them the hungry families in your community.

Recap:

1) An hour worth of exercise without typical workout equipment ( may include 30 minutes of extra movement)
2) Donate to a local food drive

Replies

• dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great challenge. I'm totally on board with this! :)
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    great challenge!!!
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feed back. I was really worried that I wasn't gonna be able to come up with something to compare to our fabulous leader's challenge ideas. Hope you all have fun with this one. Its definitely gonna take some creativity!
  • health1971
    Options
    Looking forward to this week's challenge :love: ...
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great challenge!!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge this week. I am excited to think "Outside the Box". I have a few ideas of what I can do already :)

I also will be doing the optional challenge too. I have a box of food all ready to drop off where I work Friday. We have a food drive for the needy in our area. The food goes to the local churches to help those less fortunate than we are. (My box contains 12 box's of mac & cheese, Cans of Pea's, carrots, corn, and mixed fruit. Then I have a case of each of these (12 cans) Pinto beans, Northern white beans, Dark Kidney beans and pork and beans.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Good for you Rainey! There are so many families out their struggling to put food on their plates. It really does feel good to know that you played a part in providing them a hot meal.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just curious...will we see stats from this week or will that be when she returns from vacation?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies:
    So for our challenge of thinking outside of the box, I packed up a back up with various materials and made weight 37.5 lbs and then I hiked it around our neighborhood!! 80 minutes=803 calories burned because i had to do hills and for hiking they only had up to a 20 lb sack so I think i made up the difference. Wow felt good!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Tammie
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Just curious...will we see stats from this week or will that be when she returns from vacation?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    She is gonna have to do it when she gets back. She has all the team info so I have no idea where everyone stands. Sorry.
  • MichelleP418
    MichelleP418 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    completed challenge....painted inside yesterday. I did the high parts which included stair stepping and paint can lifting/holding...took about 2 hours...my arms feel like they are a thousand pounds and I guess I did not drink enough water while doing it....Charlie horses in my legs today!!!!
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For this weeks challenge I walked our racetrack at work once every 30 minutes on all three of my shifts for a total of 35 rounds. I also did a dozen carryouts because it increased guest interactions that I normally don't get so I got some weight training in as well. I also donated a ton of food to our food for people bin at work. Challenge complete :D
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For my unconventional workout this week I cleaned, scrubbed, and used +100 snakes as weights. lol completely serious my mom breeds ball pythons so I volunteered to clean this week. Got a great +4 hour exercise in and I got to help my mom out win win. I also raked leaves for about 30 minutes and went on lots of hikes. Looks like lots of people had great ideas for unconventional workouts.