Surgery in a few weeks

Options
I am going to have the VSG in January. I am not at all nervous about the surgery, but am a bit nervous about how eating will change forever. I am in a bariatric surgery support group (with folks who had every kind of the surgeries), and every single person said it is the best thing they have ever done. Do your feelings about food change? Do you no longer crave the "bad" foods? I am having a hard time imagining I can never again have steak and baked potatoes; or ever have a Krispy Kreme donut.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that surgery changes your feelings or thoughts about food. My feeling is that you have to change those things yourself. Surgery changes your habits, but that's because physically, you have to change your habits. I try not to say things to myself like, "I will never have a cupcake again". I have had plenty of the things like that, and frankly, those things didn't really serve me well in the past. Instead I think about what I WILL have - better health, more energy, and I am getting my life back. To me the tradeoff is just fine.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't know about never having steak and potatoes again. I've not had trouble with any food yet at 7 weeks out and can eat beef, (like roast) but have not tried steak yet. I simply don't want a Krispy Kreme any more at least right now! Kinda grosses me out thinking about that. I guess some tastes do change! Eventually, I hope to have all the things I care for occasionally in small amounts.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My attitude about food has changed dramaticly. It used to be when stressed or even just angry, I would eat whatever and however much I wanted. After all, why bother dieting was my attitude when upset. Now it's the opposit. If stressed or angry now I just don't care to eat. I still get the bad attitude of "why bother" but just in the reverse.

I worried about feeling deprived and I found that I don't. For one thing, this whole journey was my choice, my decision. I choose not to eat certain things, no one is depriving me. And for another, I don't completely deprive myself. I occasionally work a treat into my food plan for the day because even skinny people have the ocasional cupcake, you know. Also, the foods I could not control myself with I stopped eating before the surgery and I haven't introduced them back into my life. I don't want to find I still can't control myself.

As for cravings, I really don't have cravings per se. I do occasionally think something sounds good, but it's not really a "Oh My goodness! I have to have ...".

I think everyone is different, but attitude is everything. If you can look at this as a choice you made, you won't feel deprived or left out at all.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had surgery July 15th and feel that the sleeve has been a huge help, but I have definitely had to do the work of making the right food choices, going to the gym, etc. I'm fortunate in that I can eat most foods, but I mainly eat protein and veggies. You'll be surprised at how little you can eat at first, and you really need to eat slowly. I won't say that the surgery takes away cravings (I've definitely had some) but I think your tastes do change. For example, I've tried eating a few bites of cake at a friend's party, and felt so gross afterwards that I haven't wanted any since. I've also developed a deeper love of all kinds of fruit, which is how I get my sweet fixes these days (not to mention a little extra fiber). It seems to be different for everyone, but don't look at it as you're NEVER going to have something again. You're just making different choices because you have different goals now. Good luck!! :)
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in July. Like the folks in your support group, I am very happy with my decision. One reason I chose the sleeve over bypass is so I would still be able to eat just about any food, just less of it. I am still tempted by 'bad' foods and everyday I have to decide to eat well. It really helps me that I need to focus on protein first. By the time I eat that, I'm usually too full for a cookie or something I shouldn't have anyway.

Best of luck to you! You'll find lots of support here.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe we have to give up any food totally. I was sleeved in September and moved slowly, but deliberately through the stages and have eaten steak, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, meatballs, baked zitit. Capacity is the key - I am never hungry and when I do eat it's very limited. As long as you choose the protein first you should be free to sample other foods that appeal to you. Over the Thanksgiving Holiday (week) I was able to sample some favorite cookies and pies and still lose 3lbs. In my support group we talk about not feeling that you are on a diet as that causes many of us to rebel. Tell yourself you can have anything you want, anytime you want, but just CHOOSE to eat different foods and less of them!
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have not given up any of the foods I used to eat. I just priortize them. As other users have said, you have to be choosy about what foods you eat since your capacity will be much less. I prioritize protien first, then move to starch and veggies. Hitting your protien goals will be hard to do post op. I struggle with my protien goal at 8 months post op. Once you can tolerate solid food, I suggest slowly testing what you can and cannot eat. Log everything and note the stuff that is really calorie dense, and carbs that are easy to eat. These foods are on the ones you need to watch. Carbs like crackers are easy to digest, and are tempting to graze on, but the calories add up quick.
  • ponyannie
    ponyannie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am feeling a lot better.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I worried about feeling deprived and I found that I don't. For one thing, this whole journey was my choice, my decision. I choose not to eat certain things, no one is depriving me.

This is pretty much how I feel. I made the choice to have this surgery, and that includes the lifestyle changes that go along with it. I am only about 9 weeks out, and it doesn't even cross my mind if I can eat a piece of chocolate or have a drink. There might be certain things that I WILL have to give up, because they might not agree with me ever again, who knows. I know some people start having certain things in moderation fairly early on, but I will put it off as long as I can. I am going to give my body time to adjust to being new and different. I am not saying I will never eat a french fry again, but I am really focused and right now things like that just aren't on my radar.