peri-menopause

Options
mslisatm
mslisatm Posts: 154 Member
oh yes...those of you dealing with this understand what I'm talking about. I am trying to be positive and plow through this stage of my life with energy and spunk and a good attitude, but frankly its a *****. I have gained 15 pounds over the past year despite my clean eating and regular exercise regimen. I have serious extreme PMS (aka ragefits), nights sweats, a period that likes to keep me guessing. I started this at age 40 and my doc put me back on the pill but I recently decided to stop that and try to address the issues through diet, exercise and natural supplements and somehow still have a career and a family and friends when I hit 50! I know I'm on the early side of "the change" but my mother started in her early 40s and said it took about 10 years.

I'd love to hear how some of you are dealing with this. Im not against HRT, and I'd love to hear your experiences on that as well, good and bad. Im mainly focused on getting my body under control weight wise. I'm ready to start with a clean slate and completely change my workout and eating routines because the old ones were just not working.

Thanks and please feel free to friend me too!

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 next July and am now going on my 9th week of being late. I was on the pill for a long time and also decided that I needed to get off hormones and just go through naturally. I don't have too bad of night sweats, it goes in spurts but the bloatedness and weight gain is terrible. I think I have gained 10 pds since I was suppose to start and haven't. I don't eat the best all the time and really have to work at it to not pig out on carbs at night especially. I just recently started to really watch my food intake and to get back into an exercise program. I don't understand why it should really be that hard, just because we are starting menopause doesn't seem fair to be punished for it - lol.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I take Magnesium for the night sweats seems to be helping. I currently take about 400 mg but am slowly upping it. It also has been helping with my headaches which I have dealt with for years. So bonus.....

the PMS I cannot help with since I still am struggling with that also. I never had it when I was on the pill but now, HOLY COW. If I keep a regular workout schedule it seems to help but I can't really confirm that since my PMS and period are all over the map. If you find something that work Please let me know.

My mom used HRT and said it worked for her but that was before all the hub bub about using it. My doc. doesn't feel my symptoms are bad enough to warrant it and I'm not sure if I would be thrilled about doing it anyway.

I know I'm not being all that much help but at least you know you are not alone.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yep I have major pms too after going off the pill. We'll I just started with a vengeance yesterday after 9 weeks of being late. I feel better though - I think I have lost 5 ponds immediately and my tummy is much flatter. So I know that not starting definitely has an effect on my weight.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    After watching many of my friends suffer with hot flasshes and the horror stories of night sweats, dry hair and skin, I was scared to death.

A few months ago, I started having the hot flashes and night sweats.They weren't as bad as my friends...but still sucked!!! I know that nutrition is a big part of it (and I was not eating as well as I knew to) I was not taking my supplements, drinking here and there, having too many treats.

I started paying attention and experimenting with some different things..and now am totally symptom free after only a month. Thank GOD!!! I was too scared of side effects of HRT...
  • pinkfanatic68
    pinkfanatic68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    l 'll be 46 in a couple of weeks. I'm going through a long drawn-out perimenopause. I experienced my first hotflash almost ten years ago. They're sporadic with me. I experience what I like to call "neurological flatulence" (brain farts) all the time. I cont.. to menstruate every month. I joke that I get the best of both worlds..both pms and perimenopause simultaneously. Therefore, I like to consider myself "horizontally challenged". LOL
  • CurlyGlitterChicken
    Options
    After watching many of my friends suffer with hot flasshes and the horror stories of night sweats, dry hair and skin, I was scared to death.

A few months ago, I started having the hot flashes and night sweats.They weren't as bad as my friends...but still sucked!!! I know that nutrition is a big part of it (and I was not eating as well as I knew to) I was not taking my supplements, drinking here and there, having too many treats.

I started paying attention and experimenting with some different things..and now am totally symptom free after only a month. Thank GOD!!! I was too scared of side effects of HRT...

What changes in diet made the most difference for you?
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am there as well. I had a D&C in Nov. 2013 (having issues). Have not had a period since then. I go back to the GYN at the end of the month and she is going to want to put me on Progesterone again to jump start me. Which will once again make me bleed so much it is scary.

Not sure what the right thing to do is. Ugh.
  • Breezy929
    Breezy929 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

What changes in diet made the most difference for you?

I'd like to know this too. I do take magnesium for cycle migraines but it hasn't done anything for the night sweats, mood and weight gain.