Exercising with a newborn: How are we making it work?

Options
Would love to hear how people are making a healthy lifestyle work with a new baby. Lets share what is working or questions we have. I have a 2 year old, a 2 month old and a double BOB jogging stroller. We run each morning, soon after baby's first feeding. Gotta run on "empty" if you know what i mean breastfeeding mommas! I let my toddler eat her breakfast (toast, bagel, dry cereal, ect) in the stroller to keep her happy. She also brings one book or toy with her to keep occupied. We run for about 30 minutes, then stretch and shower and pretty much get done with the whole process in time for the next nursing (about 2.5 hours since the last one.) Sometimes we run in the afternoon, which is nice because husband pushes the stroller. But that can get hectic with dinner, so I prefer getting it out of the way first thing!

What is working for you?

Replies

• TheJamLady
    TheJamLady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner, but I agree about working out first thing in the morning. I try to walk my oldest to school first thing or do either yoga or an absolute workout as soon as I get home. I walk my second to school at lunchtime for Kindergarten. Then I walk to pick them up at the end of the day. I add in a few extra calories burned by bringing baby in the carrier. Basically I fit it in when I can
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a BOB and a better climate! My jogging stroller doesn't accommodate a car seat (or at least I don't have the attachment for it), but it's still too hot and humid, even first thing in the morning. But by the time it cools down, he should be big enough for the jogging stroller :)

Today I put him on his play mat and got 15 minutes in. Other times he will settle for longer, but the play mat seems to be the biggest hit so far!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Gym and/or running on Mon/Wed/Fridays while husband watches the kids. Need to get Tuesdays & Thursdays too. I'm thinking about getting a YMCA membership so I can take the kids and give my hubby a break since he watches them during the day, but he says I need a workout plan first! I also am weaning baby, since she gets too fussy during the day w/out mama and it does make it more difficult to exercise...since boobs always hurt! lol.
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm waiting till my kindergartner is home at 11 so I can have her help entertaining my 2 year old. I get them both lunch and do 30DS while they eat. I nurse my 3 month old either right before or after the workout and she sits in her bouncer laughing at her sweaty mom jumping around. Some days I go to free Zumba at my church. The baby watches from her car seat and my toddler plays with the other kids there.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm pumping, I'm going to the gym first thing (5:30 a.m.) before the hubby leaves for work. He's able to feed the babe if he wakes up, and I'm empty pre-workout. So far, so good! Before returning to the gym, we went for long walks around the neighbourhood in the afternoon with the stroller or the wrap. I wear the baby often because he LOVES it.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm working outside the home 6AM-3PM - so I go over my lunch break. I also occasionally go at 8 or 9 at night if my hubby is still up studying for school. And after I get home from work my toddler and I have "dance time" where we dance for about 15 minutes together just being silly - hes getting old enough to follow some instruction so we are doing some kinect dancing with disney as well. I really want to instill in him the benefits of getting up and moving.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got my 10,000 steps in and managed a Zumba dvd before bed!!!! Yay!! Tonight I am hoping for weights.
  • kaysmom13
    kaysmom13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom (for now) so I put her in the stroller to go walking or she can watch me jump around and do Turbo Fire. Now when I start working again I'll figure it out then :)
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do insanity videos while my 4 month old naps or after he goes to bed.....I run when I have some help and take the baby for walks to get out of the house during the day....he loves the walks and it is better than nothing on those days that I can't squeeze in a workout or when my son wakes up from his nap as soon as I start a video :-)
  • CamCanEat
    CamCanEat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 yo and an 8 week old. We got the double bob stroller with attachment for carseat so I'm walking. I also got a fitbit today and am going to shoot for 10,000 steps a day no matter what. When I just had one baby I used to go to Jazzercise because they have child care. And I think maybe when the baby is older and I'm more healed from my C-section I will go back. Right now all that jumping around doesn't seem appealing lol:smile:
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The first two months were crazy and my daughter wasn't fully on a schedule yet which made it difficult!! But now she is almost four months and has a pretty good routine most of the time. She wakes up between 6 and 7 to eat and goes back down at around 8 forma nap. I run to the basement to get a workout in while she sleeps. Sometimes she is out for an hour and a half which is great because I have time to shower and all. Sometimes she wakes up mid workout none is lucky enough to watch me bounce around. If it is nice out, I kale sure to take her and the dog for a long walk. So far this has worked but I am on mat leave thank god and still worry about how to balance it all when I go back.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the typos not as easy on an iPad!!
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    This is something I am nervous for after baby #2 comes in january. I have a beyond active 2 almost 3 year old who is no longer napping which is when I used to work out lol. I'm overweight to begin with so I am really hoping to get back on track once baby is here but not sure how to make that happen. I live out of town and on dirt roads and drive way so jogging stroller is not an option especially with it going to be january so most of my work outs will be dvds or elliptical. I guess Ill either just have to wake up super early or wait till kids go to bed. Hubby can help when he's home but he works some pretty long and inconsistent hours. Hoping something of a routine will not be too impossible to find.
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    just wanted to update. with a 4 month old, and a 2.5 year old, our morning runs with the double BOB stroller are getting easier and easier! baby girl is not nearly as fussy any more (we still have hard days, but they would be hard at home too, so its okay) and we all really look forward to the time outside, seeing the animals in our area, etc. so keep it up ladies! even if a new routine is hard at first, give it time, babies (and mommies) will adjust!
  • whitters05
    whitters05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you found something that works! My 7 month daughter doesn't really nap or like strollers (she's crazy), so the only thing I've found that works for me is going to the gym after she's in bed. Thankfully she goes to bed around 7 pm, so plenty of time!

I also found that night time was best for me anyway! I'm breastfeeding and I don't think the girls could take that kind of a beating first thing in the morning while full... At night they're totally empty and no pain!
  • MtMcConnel
    MtMcConnel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My LO is too small for my jogging stroller (I don't have carseat attachment), so I try to work out a schedule with my husband where he watches her so I can run in the evenings or weekends. I only work part-time, so I can work out some days at home. Now that she's on a regular napping schedule, I also have had good luck with getting dressed to work out before I put her down and then doing either 30DS or running on my treadmill when she's napping. She also loves going for walks in her stroller, so if the weather is OK, I try to do that too.