Introducing myself

Options
Hi all,

I'm 42, married with 4 great kids...and I have been overweight nearly all of my life...except the times that I lost tremendous amounts of weight on Weight Watchers, Medifast, Optifast or Atkins...right before gaining it all back.

I had my VSG on 11/20/2013...I'm two weeks out and down about 17 pounds since the surgery...54 total since I first weighed in at the doctor's office. (I only post my "official doctor's office weight" on this website, so my ticker only reflects the weight from my last office visit...about [a week]/[8 pounds] ago). I've remained at the same weight for about three days now, but I didn't really expect the weight to start melting off until I get used to the change in my diet.

I'm tolerating the liquid diet (Stage II) very well, but I'm beginning to crave something solid to chew...looking forward to starting Stage III next Wednesday and at least having some pureed foods to add to the variety.

My family and friends have been very supportive, and I'm looking forward to a successful journey.

Gary

Replies

• Zizelly
    Options
    I had my sleeve done that day too! I'm 20 years old and it's been really tough to stick to the diet for me. I've kinda been listening to my stomach and advancing a TINY bit.
  • gdgudzik
    Options
    Do they have you on the four stage diet, or did you go right back to regular food?

Week 1 was clear liquids for me...Isopure protein drink, broths, tea, etc.
    Week 2 and 3 are full liquids: Bariatric Advantage protein shakes, isopure, broths, strained cream soups, greek yogurts (no chunks), sugar free puddings and jellos, sugar free popsicles.
    This coming week I go on pureed foods (meats, cooked veggies, canned fruits) and cottage cheese, etc.
    On 12/18 I go back on full foods.

Not too hard to stick to it if you limit yourself to the choices they give you. I've only cheated on Thanksgiving...I stuck my finger in the gravy and licked it, and I did the same thing with a piece of pecan pie...not really cheating, but I had to just get a taste, you know?

Good luck...and let me know how you're doing. I'm down 22.5 now since 11/20 and I've never had more energy!

Gary
  • royboy2012
    royboy2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Roy and I'm an alcoholic.

OOPS, wrong group! :drinker:

I had my VSG on 11/19 and am down about 30 pounds. My official weigh-in is at my TOPS group tomorrow night.

Gary: I have stalled twice for 2 or 3 days but it picked up again. Just stick to the program.

I am very happy so far. The liquid diet was much easier than I thought it would be. Though I was only on clear liquid while in the hospital. They made me eat some horrible tasting tomato soup before they would let me go.

I did full liquid for about 2 weeks and have been on soft foods for a week. My digestive system has started to work again! Yay!

They said that actual hunger may not return for weeks or months after the surgery. This is one of the reasons I chose this one over some others. I just eat when I am supposed to. It's working pretty good so far!

Let's hear it for sugar free Jello! :love:

I have to work on changing some of my habitual eating. At night, I find myself wandering into the kitchen for a bite of sugar free Jello. I shouldn't be doing this, I am not hungry. It is just a habit that I must change.

I have read through many of the posts to this group and am so happy that so many are finding success.

After 30 years of dieting, unsuccessfully, I now feel like I am on the right track to be successful! Optimism abounds!

Thanks
    Roy S
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi and congratulations on your sleeve! I've been doing this for 2 and 1/2 years now and I can honestly still say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck with your new life, this journey is amazing.
  • dej923
    dej923 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had surgery Thursday Dec 5. I'm looking forward to adding a little more variety next week - the sugar free waters and broth leave a funny taste in my mouth & I've been eyeballing that tomato soup & V8! My 3rd-6th week will be pureed/soft foods. Week 7-8 I can add in ground meats, baked fish, tuna/egg salad, beans, etc.

I've lost 16 total since pre-op and 5 since surgery. I expect this will increase as my food (proteins, calories) increases. I'm so excited to be starting this journey & look forward to sharing with all of you!