Why People Think CrossFitters Suck

Options

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I was fairly new to body building, maybe 2/3 years when I started doing crossfit just a couple months ago. I don't understand the whole "turf" war thing. All I know is that I have a specific goal in mind...to be lean, to be fit, and to be able to respond in an emergency situation (aspect of my job).

I really don't get the hate on crossfit. I won't lie, it does bother me to have crossfit mocked, but it is what it is...I'm happy with it and that's all that matters.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I was fairly new to body building, maybe 2/3 years when I started doing crossfit just a couple months ago. I don't understand the whole "turf" war thing. All I know is that I have a specific goal in mind...to be lean, to be fit, and to be able to respond in an emergency situation (aspect of my job).

I really don't get the hate on crossfit. I won't lie, it does bother me to have crossfit mocked, but it is what it is...I'm happy with it and that's all that matters.

The simple answer is money. CF is pulling people out of regular gyms and a lot of people LOVE it when they try it, hence they are gone for good from the Globogym world.

From a business standpoint they have two responses. Adopt similar programming or belittle Crossfit so people don't try it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding and CrossFit are polar opposites. They really cannot exist together in the same programming. Don't get me wrong, I admire the years of dedication most bodybuilders spend chiseling their bodies into the shape they achieve. But as any avid CrossFitter will tell you, there's being in 'shape' and then there's being 'fit'.

Why does CrossFit get so much bashing? Simple... ignorance and ego. Most people who bash CrossFit have either never done it, only did it for a couple of weeks, or had a really bad experience at a Box. Most 'Bro' Bodybuilders consider themselves to be the embodiment of fitness perfection. Sadly they are not. Most bodybuilders cannot survive a WOD and if they do they are completely exhausted. They have zero stamina, zero flexibility, and zero knowledge of functional movements or Olympic Lifting. There's a video of Dana Lynn Bailey doing a CrossFit WOD and you can see her actually begin to quiver and quake as the WOD progresses. Is her physique amazing? Of course. Is she 'fit'? Not really.

Most CrossFitters do not want to look like a balloon animal - or a uterus - and want to be able to be strong, lean, and fit without spending hours and hours a day in the gym. They want to be able to do things with their bodies besides curl in the squat rack and pose on a stage.

I myself have chosen CrossFit... as far as I'm concerned as long as you are doing SOMETHING to be active then to each his own.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding and CrossFit are polar opposites. They really cannot exist together in the same programming. Don't get me wrong, I admire the years of dedication most bodybuilders spend chiseling their bodies into the shape they achieve. But as any avid CrossFitter will tell you, there's being in 'shape' and then there's being 'fit'.

Why does CrossFit get so much bashing? Simple... ignorance and ego. Most people who bash CrossFit have either never done it, only did it for a couple of weeks, or had a really bad experience at a Box. Most 'Bro' Bodybuilders consider themselves to be the embodiment of fitness perfection. Sadly they are not. Most bodybuilders cannot survive a WOD and if they do they are completely exhausted. They have zero stamina, zero flexibility, and zero knowledge of functional movements or Olympic Lifting. There's a video of Dana Lynn Bailey doing a CrossFit WOD and you can see her actually begin to quiver and quake as the WOD progresses. Is her physique amazing? Of course. Is she 'fit'? Not really.

Most CrossFitters do not want to look like a balloon animal - or a uterus - and want to be able to be strong, lean, and fit without spending hours and hours a day in the gym. They want to be able to do things with their bodies besides curl in the squat rack and pose on a stage.

I myself have chosen CrossFit... as far as I'm concerned as long as you are doing SOMETHING to be active then to each his own.

Very well said.
    I've been doing crossfit for over 2 years and have no intention of quitting. I love every second of it. I love the progression in my lifting etc but I actually love DOING the sessions too.
    I've never wanted to look like a body builder and I've never trained to get a certain body shape, although that is a happy bonus. I love crossfit because it trains me to be stronger, fitter, more flexible and more headstrong too to get through the WODs and to push my lifting.
    Honestly, I think most people that hate on crossfit do so because they're intimidated and/or scared of it.