Massages

So I really want to go get a massage, I have a lady who is a massage therapist but she does not work in a sports clinic or chiropractor. I have gone to her once and I think she did a great job, but this time around I want to go and ask her to focus on my IT band.

Here comes my question, should I find a sports massage therapist instead? I am afraid if she is not a sports therapist that instead of helping it might make it worst I am not sure.

Do you guys get massages? do you use a sports therapist? or go to like a sports clinic?

Thanks

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    If you're going for a specific issue I would try and find someone knowledgeable about that issue. I get massages from a sports therapist at my chiropractors office.
  • Ok Thanks I will look into it
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    When I injured my IT band (injured during childbirth, believe it or not!), I went to a physical therapist and the massaging he did on my IT band is what I'm convinced cured it. Yes, I did the little exercises he prescribed, but honestly I think it was the targeted massage that helped most. The massaging did hurt, but it was a good hurt (John Cougar aka Mellencamp would understand!).
  • When I injured my IT band (injured during childbirth, believe it or not!), I went to a physical therapist and the massaging he did on my IT band is what I'm convinced cured it. Yes, I did the little exercises he prescribed, but honestly I think it was the targeted massage that helped most. The massaging did hurt, but it was a good hurt (John Cougar aka Mellencamp would understand!).

Now I have never heard of injuring the IT band during childbirth that is interesting. I will look for a Physical Therapist and go there, I really want to get a nice massage on my IT band before my Half and before it gets worst.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    My best friend is a massage therapist so I get the friends and family discount. I'm a little spoiled. lol I get massage on a regular basis as part of my training regimen. She's also licensed in kinesio taping technique so that's helped me when I've needed it. I swear it cured me of a lingering calf issue I had.

I look more for someone who is also an athlete themselves than the facility they work out of. My podiatrist is an ultra runner but he doesn't work out of a sports med clinic for example. I just don't need someone looking at me like I've grown two heads when I describe the stuff that I do.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You know, not to discourage you from seeking the massage, but rolling your leg out with a hard foam roller or piece of PVC pipe can work wonders too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    I go to a massage chain and have been going 2 to 3 times a month for years and I find I tell her where the problems are and she works them out. She is licensed and so has been trained to work the areas I specify. This has included the IT band the Glutes and the Piriformis. Most of the time she can feel the knots and the tension and knows where the problems are.
    Jokingly she says you run so you break it and bring it here and I will fix it and most times she is right she knows me better than I do some of the time
  • My best friend is a massage therapist so I get the friends and family discount. I'm a little spoiled. lol I get massage on a regular basis as part of my training regimen. She's also licensed in kinesio taping technique so that's helped me when I've needed it. I swear it cured me of a lingering calf issue I had.

I look more for someone who is also an athlete themselves than the facility they work out of. My podiatrist is an ultra runner but he doesn't work out of a sports med clinic for example. I just don't need someone looking at me like I've grown two heads when I describe the stuff that I do.

lucky :)
  • You know, not to discourage you from seeking the massage, but rolling your leg out with a hard foam roller or piece of PVC pipe can work wonders too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk

Thanks I will check it out
  • I go to a massage chain and have been going 2 to 3 times a month for years and I find I tell her where the problems are and she works them out. She is licensed and so has been trained to work the areas I specify. This has included the IT band the Glutes and the Piriformis. Most of the time she can feel the knots and the tension and knows where the problems are.
    Jokingly she says you run so you break it and bring it here and I will fix it and most times she is right she knows me better than I do some of the time

Thanks I will ask around to make sure they can work on those areas
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    If you're going for a specific issue I would try and find someone knowledgeable about that issue. I get massages from a sports therapist at my chiropractors office.
    This. I see a basic massage therapist a few days before a race and postrace. Always see the same therapist so they know my body and i know their work. For something injury specific i would see someone more specific.