Vitamix

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Just got one. Beyond awesome. It is like the Cadillac of blenders.

Replies

• figpies
    Options
    Yep, it's AWESOME and they last forever. I've had mine for over 3 years and it still works like new! Post any smoothie recipes you try :smile:
  • CrossFitSandra
    Options
    Yep, it's AWESOME and they last forever. I've had mine for over 3 years and it still works like new! Post any smoothie recipes you try :smile:

So... this is the latest gadget with which my husband has become obsessed. I'm not convinced that it's worth the money since I'm not sure how much we'd use it. I'm usually 100% on board with any top-of-the-line kitchen items, but I'm not sold on the Vitamix yet. Please, sell me! How often do you use it - is it just for smoothies and margaritas, or do you find yourself using it for other things where it is far superior to other methods? We are a family of five and I prepare 99% of our meals at home.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

So... this is the latest gadget with which my husband has become obsessed. I'm not convinced that it's worth the money since I'm not sure how much we'd use it. I'm usually 100% on board with any top-of-the-line kitchen items, but I'm not sold on the Vitamix yet. Please, sell me! How often do you use it - is it just for smoothies and margaritas, or do you find yourself using it for other things where it is far superior to other methods? We are a family of five and I prepare 99% of our meals at home.

We just got it and I have not used it too much yet. Planning on making almond milk and some hummus this week. I will let you know how it goes.

The key reason we bought it was that my wife needs to eat more vegetables and she does not like vegetables. We figured smoothies with a handful of spinach/kale would be a good place to start.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to make his own sauces and salsas - he uses the Vitamix for those things. The other day I made my own applesauce with Fuji apples and a bit of lemon juice - it was pretty good. I didn't even peel the apples, just cored to remove the center and the seeds. I want to try to make my own almond milk too.

I think the deciding factor is how often do you use a regular blender now? If you don't use a blender then you won't use a Vitamix. My husband burns thru blenders so we decided to go for the Vitamix.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I'm going to be finding ways to use it. There I things I avoid making because they are too much labor (like salsa) that I'm far more inclined to try if I can use the blender to do the work.

I'm going to have to go dredge up some tomatillos now :)
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Last night my daughter wanted to make orange sorbet - we didn't have any oranges but we had two large lemons - made lemon sorbet in the Vitamix. Ingredients: 2 large peeled lemons (take as much of the white pith off as possible), 3 TB sugar (she added another TB because it was too tart), and 2.5 cups ice. Let the Vitamix blend the hell out of it for 30 seconds (use the tamper) and voila! Sorbet! Now we'll need to try it with oranges and honey instead of sugar to make it paleo.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Love it. I'm looking forward to trying stuff like that but will probably wait until the summer.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So we invested in the Blendtec, similar to the Vitamix and I will say it is awesome and we use it daily. My husband makes his protein shake smoothies daily. I also use the smaller attachment and make guacamole several times a week to put with anything/everything and we use it daily as a juicer. Just some water, kale and a tiny bit of frozen fruit and I get an extra serving of veggies in that tastes delicious; it's my morning snack every day :) We've had our Blendtec for 2 months and the counter on it says that we have used it 100+ times already, not counting when I use it on the pulse mode.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    The coolest recipe I've heard so far involved putting in cold ingredients to make soup and leaving it running for about 5 minutes. The friction from the blades apparently heats it up by the time you are done.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    So we invested in the Blendtec, similar to the Vitamix and I will say it is awesome and we use it daily. My husband makes his protein shake smoothies daily. I also use the smaller attachment and make guacamole several times a week to put with anything/everything and we use it daily as a juicer. Just some water, kale and a tiny bit of frozen fruit and I get an extra serving of veggies in that tastes delicious; it's my morning snack every day :) We've had our Blendtec for 2 months and the counter on it says that we have used it 100+ times already, not counting when I use it on the pulse mode.

I also grabbed a DeLonghi food processor on Cyber Monday that has a smaller attachement. I need to start whipping up some guac with that.