Goals

Options
Alexz210
Alexz210 Posts: 78 Member
I started my weight loss journey several years ago. I hit my all time high weight of 167 at my best friend's BEACH wedding. (Those pictures still make me cringe!) I slowly worked hard to drop weight. Right before I got pregnant, I hit 139 lbs.

It is possible that I could deliver my baby without ever reaching that awful 167 number again. I don't know if I'm proud of that, or a little embarrassed! Maybe both. Is anyone else hoping to deliver at a weight lower than your official "start weight"? Do you have any mental issues with hitting that number again? Obviously, my main concern is the health of this baby, and if my body needs to gain more, then I certainly will! Just wondering if anyone can relate!

Counting down the weeks now!! :)

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to stay under a 28lb gain, which I think is right on the line. Try not to obsess but yeah, I totally am watching my ticker go back up and getting a little twitchy as the number gets smaller. But I keep it up there because I like that there's still a number :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Oh, one thing that helps is to see my belly getting bigger. If you can't see the number on the scale because your belly is in the way, OBVIOUSLY the number should have gotten a little bigger, and obviously it's not pounds of fat.

I think the inner dialogue has to change a little bit. The waffling in my head looks something like this: I want to gain, but I don't want to gain a lot. I need to eat more, but it feels weird to indulge too much... well, maybe it's too much, maybe it's not... just keep tracking and look at the patterns...
  • rainysue34
    rainysue34 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you'll lose at least 10-15 pounds as soon as your baby is born. If you do go over your starting weight, it will be temporary. I lost 30 pounds in two weeks after my first baby. It felt AMAZING! (I had gained 45lb.) I felt so light and buoyant when I walked; I would have been jumping for joy if I hadn't had the c-section wound.

Also keep in mind that weight is only one indicator of your health and fitness. Sometimes I feel that I have no control over my weight gain during pregnancy. (I gained four pounds this past week and I have no idea why!) But I can commit to maintaining at least 20-30 minutes of cardio each day. It's something that I have control over; it's something that I look forward to each day.
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there! I started my weight loss journey at 238. I was 201 when I got pregnant and I'm up to 215 right now at 26 weeks. I'm a little higher than I want to be but I really hope I don't see those 230s again!
  • mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I actually weighed less than I do now, I only had about 10 lbs to lose, but what I really wanted was to stop the upward trend that was starting. It has been a little tough and a little crazy seeing the scale weigh more than I have ever in my life. But Dandelyon is absolutely right, we're gaining for the right reasons this time, and judging from the size of my belly it's no surprise my weight has gone up so much.

My current goals are to be mindful of what I eat (making sure to include lots of veggies and fruit), and to watch my junk intake. I have a weakness for chocolate, chips, etc, etc, and while that didn't seem to impact my weight gain too much in the first trimester (probably because with food aversions I was eating little else), in the third it seems makes a big difference.

I've also been thinking about my eating habits in general lately. Basically before getting pregnant, they were pretty good, since getting pregnant there's been a lot of 'oh you're pregnant and not dieting, you should be eating more calories so that *any treat* isn't so bad..." This is definitely not something I want to continue when I'm not pregnant, or even now as I get down to the wire and don't want to gain outside of a healthy range. So my current goal is to eat like I'm not pregnant (meaning focused on veggies, lean meat, fruit, one treat a day instead of 5) but allowing myself to eat more if I'm still hungry. Once baby comes, who knows what'll happen! Although I'm hoping to see a big loss, maybe I won't, so those healthy eating habits will have to do the slow and steady work of losing all I've gained.