Chat w/ jjennasmithh

Options
writemusic4him: What got you started on your weightloss journey & on MFP?
jjennasmithh: I was heavy for most of my life, it got to a point where I could barely go up sets of stairs without breathing heavily, I couldn't fit into airplane seats and I could never go to amusement parks because I couldn't fit on the rides. My trainer, Christina, opened a studio in Jan 2012, and in Feb, I was listed as one of her clients. I use MFP because it helps track my calories, my exercise, etc, I found it a very useful tool to my weightloss so I could count my carbs, and make sure I was getting enough water.
writemusic4him: When you started, did you ease into it or go all out?
spring423: Looks like you focused on fitness first? What kind of training did you do?
jjennasmithh: At first it was hard, from the workouts I was very tired and sore. Christina upped my workouts as I was getting stronger and stronger. As I got smaller I went all out. Once I started, I never stopped. Christina had me do interval training and strength training. This helped me drop body fat and weight very fast. I was also on a low carb diet eating only 50g or less of carbs per day.
writemusic4him: How has your diet & fitness changed over time?
jjennasmithh: I am no longer training with Christina, I went from working out 3x a week with her, to 5x a week on my own. I don't train with her anymore, though she is still there for moral support. My diet is still the same, though I eat more fruit, and about 100g of carbs per day instead of 50g
spring423: Are you following a low GI or just carb counting?
jjennasmithh: Just trying to eat as healthy as I can. Carb counting can be annoying sometimes, I know things have carbs, so I just have to watch what I eat. Apart from MFP, I also food journal on paper so I can keep track of my meals and if I see I had popcorn or pizza on a friday, then the saturday I will do better and etc!
jjennasmithh: Carb counting can be done on MFP as well, if you change your settings.
writemusic4him: Do you eat out much? And how do you make healthier choices?
spring423: Thanks good to know
writemusic4him: Has your weightloss been consistent? Do you ever have times you don't lose?
jjennasmithh: I do eat out sometimes. I avoid fast food though, unless it's pita pit or subway(they both sell salads and healthy options). When I go out to eat, I try to avoid deep fried, sauces, cheeses, breads, and I eat salads, chicken breast, a steak with veggies, something on the healthier side. If I know I only go out to eat so often, I might treat myself and just have that one special meal that week. So if I really want the large portion of pasta, I go for it! Sometimes it's hard to avoid, especially at group parties, and etc.
jjennasmithh: And also, sushi is delicious! It's a treat I always go for
writemusic4him: What would you say is your biggest struggle?
jjennasmithh: My weightloss all of 2012 was consistent, I lost a lot. But just like everything, you get what you put into it. Most of 2013, I struggled with my weight and eating and had troubles with binging because of how much I had cut out of my diet. That's when I realized something had to change. I gained up to 25 lbs because of my bad habits in the past year. Weightloss isn't always easy especially for me, and the seasons can really effect when my weightloss is good or bad. So I've really been trying to eat in moderation.
jjennasmithh: My biggest struggle has been pushing myself to the gym when I don't want to go. Sometimes I get bored with my workouts, so I always have to change it. When I try something new, it motivates me to go to the gym. Getting out the front door is always a struggle for some people, but as soon as you get there, you will feel so much better!
spring423: What are your thoughts on 6 small meals vs 3 meals and a snack
jjennasmithh: I think 6 small meals works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. I was raised in a family with 3 meals a day, and 2 snacks. So that's the way I've always done it. I'd rather have 3 bigger meals, than 6 small. What works for some people may not work for others, so you have to find what works for you.
spring423: How much cardio vs strength training do you do?
spring423: What does a typical gym day look like
jjennasmithh: A typical day at the gym for me is 30 mins of cardio and 30 min of strength training. Or I do 2 days cardio, 3 days strength training. Sometimes I do spinning, or just intervals. Intervals are great for losing weight because it's 1 min run, 1 min walk repeat for 30 - 40 mins..it helps you burn fat, and keeps our heart rate up for ultimate calorie burn. I also love to run and am training for 2 5ks right now
spring423: What kind of strength traiing do you do
jjennasmithh: I do different things for different days. I'll give you an example. Mondays, I will do legs and abs. Tuesday Intervals, Wednesday Shoulders and back and perhaps abs again, Thursday Intervals, Friday arms, some legs. I also do full body workouts a lot. Some days I walk into the gym without a plan, but as long as I walk out of there with 1 hour of workout done, I feel like I succeeded.
writemusic4him: Do you find it harder to push yourself as hard as you should on your own?
spring423: Are you doing machines or free weights
jjennasmithh: Sometimes I do. I will go to a class at the gym sometimes just to have someone else push me hard too. And I always talk to people online for new workouts I could try. I like trying new things, working new muscles, and sometimes I go back to the basics of what I first did when I worked out hard too. I do what Christina taught me.
jjennasmithh: And free weights most of the time..I don't like the machines. I feel like they just guide your muscles and don't give you the best workout. I do use a couple though.
writemusic4him: Someone wanted me to ask how it feels to have people notice your weightloss and say something...if you feel weird or anything
jjennasmithh: What do you mean?
jjennasmithh: Oh I get it now I will answer now.
writemusic4him: My question would be if she had any uneasiness when people make a big deal out of her weigh loss ( like oh my god you look so great and then everyone startes saying it and they keep on about it . Or does she think people treat her differently now that she's lost so much weight .
writemusic4him: I don't know if that helped smile
spring423: going back to diet, are you pretty consistant with what you eat. I've made several friends on MFP who have lost over a 100 and they seem to eat the same thing day in and day out. Guessing because it works, thoughts?
jjennasmithh: Sometimes I feel like I am always saying thank you thank you thank you, it's like I don't know what else to say, I still feel like the 350 lb person that I once was, some days its hard to feel proud of myself. I have had a lot of people from my highschool notice my weightloss, and I do feel weird about this, because they never noticed me when I was bigger, so why now? Complimenting me on my success, etc. It feels nice, but it feels weird too.
jjennasmithh: I do eat the same things day in and day out. Though I love to cook, and am always trying new things in kitchen so it doesnt get boring.
spring423: With two kids and a hubby that don't have a weight issue, food is a challenge. How do you handle having temptations around
jjennasmithh: My boyfriend is stick thin, I have a room mate who is stick thin, they can both eat whatever they want and doesnt matter because they don't gain. I currently have cookies and cupcakes and treats in my house, and it's like we cook different meals every night. I eat healthy, they eat pasta or something. I know I have eaten these foods in the past, I know what they taste like that, so I tell myself I don't need them. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, so I eat it in moderation, and then don't eat it again.
jjennasmithh: My boyfriend also doesn't eat vegetables like I do, so it's hard for us to cook meals together.
writemusic4him: You've been on the journey for a while & I know a lot of folks who have been too. How do you keep from getting discourage on how long the journey is?
jjennasmithh: Whether I lost a pound or 100 pounds, I have to be proud of myself. I still lost it, I am still keeping it off. I give myself a pat on the back everytime I go out there and do something positive for myself. I also reward myself for doing good and reaching goals. I have found buying goal outfits help keep me from getting discouraged as well, because I am always working hard towards a goal. Without goals, weightloss is hard because you don't have anywhere to aim for.
spring423: what are your top three go to foods to keep on hand
jjennasmithh: The time will pass whether you work out or not! So it's good to use your time wisely.
jjennasmithh: I have a few actually. Lettuce, eggs, yogurt and my protein powder. I almost always have chicken in my freezer as well.
spring423: speaking of using your time wisely, are you a meal planner
spring423: protein powder as a meal replacement or supplement
jjennasmithh: No I'm not. Though I do food prep. Every Sunday, I cook ahead. Precooked chicken, boiled eggs, cut up veggies for salad, etc.
jjennasmithh: Protein powder is a supplement for me. It helps power my workouts and gives me extra protien so I am not hungry or feel deprived.
spring423: how many grams of protein do you aim for a day
writemusic4him: I've been on MFP for a year now. I am almost always hungry if I stay i my calorie count. Do you have that?
spring423: great question Melanie...me to and if I adjust to lose more than a pound I find it had to stay in the count
jjennasmithh: MFP and I don't always meet eye to eye with the calorie counting. It helps to keep track of what you eat, but whatever MFP tells me to eat calorie wise, I usually eat 100 or more than my calorie count is. Because my calorie count can be low and I do get hungry easily. Especially when you work out, you should be eating more.

Replies

• andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, this is good info :)
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was glad to hear about the interval training bc my chiropractor keeps saying to do it bc it works, but I never have...