Another perk to exercising

bookworm_847
bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
On Sunday, I gave my new shoes for Insanity a test run and found they worked fabulously! My other shoes were making my arches hurt so badly that I almost gave up on my beloved Insanity program. Since I had no pain and lots of energy, I went full steam ahead. After I got all cleaned up, my body brought it to my attention that I had either pulled a muscle in my back between my spine and shoulder blade or pinched a nerve (I think muscle seems more likely, but my mom thinks I pinched a nerve since my hand will start to fall asleep if I sit in one position for too long without working my back).

I have a point, I promise :smile:

Due to this injury, everyone has advised me to take an Insanity break until my back heals up so I don't injure myself further. This morning, I had a bit of an issue with Hubby. On my way to my mom's for Thanksgiving, I stopped for gas and ended up getting a mini can of bbq Pringles, which I promptly finished. I realized after I put the empty can away that I hadn't done much emotional eating since i started Insanity. My workouts have given me a channel for my negative energy so I'm not turning to food as much. So yay! Now hopefully my back heals soon so I can get back to work!

I hope you are all doing well. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I think I just pulled a muscle in my side from coughing, not exercising. I have had a terrible cold over Thanksgiving and yes, the pain has caused me to emotionally eat before I know it. Been eating 500-700 calories a day more than usual but still logging.

I went to the gym Sat, hope to get on track but I guess what I am saying is we need to take it easy when we get hurt or are sick. It is so hard, we want to go full force but we only get worse. I did exercise slower, I guess we need to give ourselves a rest now and then and be cautious of those calories, it is so easy to eat when we are in pain, don't know why but I guess it comforts us, guess I had better take hot baths or read books or anything but eat! and holidays are always stressful.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    You may be healed by now, since this post is a couple of weeks old, but....I have the same injury you describe between my spine and shoulder, with my hand going to sleep. It has come and gone for about 4 years. Doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory. I've been to a chiropractor, which seems to help a lot. Or if I can get my husband to massage it, that helps too. I'm not sure what it actually is, but here's the thing - exercise and stretching helps and when I exercise regularly it doesn't recur as often.

I am not a doctor, so don't take this as medical advice in any way. But if you feel like you're up to it, maybe try some gentle stretching.