does breastfeeding secretly sabotage weight loss?

Options
I am exclusively bf, I exercise but my weight is constant! Trying to loose but it's not working. I count calories. Any advice?

TIA

Eager to loose weight mum

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is definitely the case for me. With baby #1 I couldn't drop a pound for 2 yrs while I was BFing. I weaned when he was almost 2 yrs old, and I lost 50 lb by his 3rd birthday.
    Now I am trying even harder , counting calories, doing low carb, eating clean gluten fren grains free , still next to nothing :(
    I do not even bother eating back any bf calories for months and still nothing.
    Very very frustrating!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yup! You just have to make the decision to not lose quickly (or at all) and BF or quit and lose.

With my older son, I BF'd and pumped as much as possible but mostly supplemented. At 3 months I stopped fighting to save what little supply I had and went to all formula. I started MFP at 2 months postpartum (so a month before we moved 100% to formula), and the weight just fell off, even without exercise. I was doing 1200 calories (of which I'm no longer a fan).

This time I've EBF'd since day one. My baby is six months old and has been STTN for a week and a half, and he gets solids twice a day when I can swing it. Most days it's just once, but I'm aiming to be more consistent with twice a day. I've been eating 1800, and even that took some time to mess with.

In six months I've lost almost 20 lbs after my postpartum weight settled (for a total of 40 lbs). When I was FFing, by this point I had lost almost 55 lbs total. That 15 lbs would mean the difference between having clothes to wear and, well, still not having clothes to wear!

My guess is that once I wean the weight will just fall off, plus I'll have the ability to be gone for longer stretches to get in a run (because the jogging stroller and I don't get along) or a Spin class!
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well I am a second time mom but hoping this will be a EBF for at least 6 months. With my first son we never got a real good start since he was born with a cleft lip that caused latching issues so I tried pumping but with a lack of knowledge and just being that pumping did not work well for us I dried up completely around 2 months.

I'm guess my question is is the calories something you can play with and see how it effects your supply or is there a good guideline to start at. My body seems to hold weight even when not pregnant or BFing so I am curious to see how many calories I will need to be eating to maintain a healthy supply. I've also heard that a lower calorie diet 1700-1800 of foods that help boost supply can work great as long as mama stays hydrated and a diet with plenty of healthy fats and proteins Any one had success with this?
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I had the polar opposite experience when I had my daughter.
    I starting losing like crazy about a month after giving birth. It had nothing to do with exercise, as I had had a Csection and was being very picky about what I even got off the couch for, walking still hurt. I wasn't counting calories, but was limiting my intake of junk type foods.
    I was 29lbs under my prepregnancy weight by the time my daughter was 6 months old. Then, I started moving to solid foods and the weight started creeping back on. I started excericising and watching what I ate more closely and the weight stalled. Then, when I stopped breastfeeding, the weight started creeping on again. I exercised and ate healthy and still gained. I continued gaining for years! It wasn't until I discovered MFP that I started losing.

Summary: I have tried many different 'ways' of losing weight. Besides MFP, the only time I ever had successful and steady weight loss was while breastfeeding and I wasn't even really trying. I am really hoping when I have this next baby, it goes the same.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I am curious about this as well I am a second time mom but hoping this will be a EBF for at least 6 months. With my first son we never got a real good start since he was born with a cleft lip that caused latching issues so I tried pumping but with a lack of knowledge and just being that pumping did not work well for us I dried up completely around 2 months.

I'm guess my question is is the calories something you can play with and see how it effects your supply or is there a good guideline to start at. My body seems to hold weight even when not pregnant or BFing so I am curious to see how many calories I will need to be eating to maintain a healthy supply. I've also heard that a lower calorie diet 1700-1800 of foods that help boost supply can work great as long as mama stays hydrated and a diet with plenty of healthy fats and proteins Any one had success with this?

I've been eating 1800 and drink at least three quarts (96 oz) of water/day and have a great supply :) If I eat more than that, I stall or gain. Also, I eat back most exercise calories.
  • UniquelySamara
    Options
    I'm unsure but I know my weight has remained the same for 6 months and that's not something I'm proud of. I want to lose weight but I'm having a hard time shedding these pounds. It's hard to go on a strict diet being that the babies need those nutrients and that's another area I need advice in. What to cut and what NOT????
  • kendiemama
    Options
    Apparently, when bfing, the body produces hormones that make it hard to loose weight but easy to produce milk.
    so its all good for the baby.
    chin up ladies, I guess we just have to Man up for its not forever. So bfing doesn't make one loose weight in all women.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the same boat too unfortunately. I gained 70lbs while pregnant, lost about 50, but it has budged very very slowly when I have really tried. I've been stuck lately, but some is my own fault. I'm really hoping when I wean soon it will easier to lose. And I'm really hoping for at least an easy 5-10lbs! Hang in there everyone, our babes are worth it. Hopefully I will have some hope for you guys, I plan to start weaning in a month or so and my guy will be 13months.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Was in the same boat as you ladies- there's hope in sight!!!

With my second daughter, I only gained 30 during my pregnancy. The first 20 fell off, but it took me 9 months to get the last 10 off (that was EBF).

I weaned when she was a year old, and have since lost about 6 pounds. I'm 2 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight, AND 3 away from my wedding weight (just in time for our 5 year anniversary;)).

All that to say, it'll come off when you wean. Enjoy this time with baby, and know that as long as you keep it up- your hard work will pay off!:)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Apparently, when bfing, the body produces hormones that make it hard to loose weight but easy to produce milk.
    so its all good for the baby.
    chin up ladies, I guess we just have to Man up for its not forever. So bfing doesn't make one loose weight in all women.

That's the long and short of it. BFing advocates and celebrities go on and on about how BFing is the best diet ever... A couple of years ago, Jenna Fischer (Pam from the US version of The Office) talked about how it didn't help her lose weight and that she had a tough time losing weight postpartum.

Over Thanksgiving, my MIL, who means well but lacks a brain-to-mouth filter, was talking to me about how I looked "soooo beautiful" when I lost "all that weight," meaning the 82 lbs I lost after my older (FF) son was born (making me about 50 lbs lighter than I am now). It was a rather backhanded comment, and then she asked me if I was still breastfeeding, as if to imply that I should be a lot thinner by now. I said to her, point blank, "For some women, breastfeeding leads to fantastic postpartum weight loss. For some women it means their bodies hold on to weight. I fall in the latter category, so I had to make the conscious decision to either quit breastfeeding and lose weight or continue breastfeeding and not lose weight, compounded by the fact that I can't be too far away and thus can't get to the awesome workouts I used to do." She looked shocked (not at my tone; I was actually quite gentle) and told me she was glad I had made the tough choice to continue nursing.

It's one of those things no one tells you. Everyone I know either didn't EBF or did but lost weight like crazy, so I expected to have lost all my weight by now.

My baby is 6.5 months old, so I've got less than 6 months to go. Presumably as my baby gets closer to age 1, he'll be nursing less and less every day, so maybe I can get to my Saturday morning Spin class once in a while :)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add, I have done a lot of google reading about this to give me hope. It is fairly common. And many of the women that said they lost a lot/easily during bf said they gained it back after weaning. So I guess it's better to be chunky for a year or so than be thin for a year and gain it back. There is hope for all of us.
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was told that for some of us - our bodies hold onto our maternal fat stores until our babies wean. SO not fair. But have hope, it can come off. My ten month old is still nursing and I'm working out like a fiend - but I'm losing about a pound a week for the past two months. I'm hoping after my LO weans at a year - the rest will be easy.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I also wanted to add, I have done a lot of google reading about this to give me hope. It is fairly common. And many of the women that said they lost a lot/easily during bf said they gained it back after weaning. So I guess it's better to be chunky for a year or so than be thin for a year and gain it back. There is hope for all of us.

We can hope!!!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    One of the nurses at the hospital told me not to expect to lose weight quickly, that there was a good chance I'd hold onto more body fat than I wanted while nursing. I had no idea about this beforehand. My friends who have never been pregnant are shocked that I am not back to my prepreg size at 3 months pp.

And Chickybuns is right--several of the women I know who lost a ton quickly gained some back after they weaned.
  • Tina__T
    Tina__T Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too :) I am 6 weeks postpartum and I lost 30 of the 40lbs I gained in a month...then I've stalled for over a week. I want to do a very low carb diet but I've read that it's not a good idea to cut your carbs too low because it can put toxins in your milk. I am having issues with high blood pressure and I really think that getting rid of these last 10lbs will help tremendously, but it's very difficult. Now that I've been given the green light to work out I'm hoping that upping my exercise and eating cleanly will help!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

lol, yes! I would have rathered the other category. I lost weight easily when breastfeeding but it all came back.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    One of the nurses at the hospital told me not to expect to lose weight quickly, that there was a good chance I'd hold onto more body fat than I wanted while nursing. I had no idea about this beforehand. My friends who have never been pregnant are shocked that I am not back to my prepreg size at 3 months pp.

And Chickybuns is right--several of the women I know who lost a ton quickly gained some back after they weaned.

TMZ rears its ugly head. I was in the bookstore and saw Kim Kardashian in a bikini on the cover of some gossip magazine. Because if she was as big as the media made her out to be and is no longer, we all have no excuse!
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My first baby was stillborn (so obviously no milk after the first week or 2) and the weight (3+st) fell off in 4 months. So easy (from that point of view).
    Second baby still being BF at 18 months and it's much harder to lose weight. This with carrying and running around after a busy toddler. So I think I'm in this category too ;-)
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck and the same weight for about a month now. I'm exclusively pumping and I have no intentions of quitting just yet. I'm trying to just be in tune with my body right now and realize that I won't be feeding LO forever, so when I'm done, it's GAME ON!!! Once the nicer weather in WI gets here, if it ever does lol, I'm gonna be outside with my kiddos a lot more, so I think that will help as well.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it "sabotages" it, but it certainly presents it's challenges. For example, during the first 6mo while my son was EBF, I was freaking *starving* 24/7! I easily out-ate my husband & because I was not diligent about eating nutritious, balanced foods I regained pregnancy weight I should have lost. Then by the time my son began eating more solids (& I started to lose my caloric "benefit") I ha established bad habits that caused me to continue gaining. However, under the same BFing circumstances I have now been able to lose all of my pregnancy weight & then some simply by eating mindfully & increasing my activity level. For me the hardest thing is overcoming the temptation of a VLCD & ensuring I am still eating enough. My son is now 12mo & even nursing only a few times a day my TDEE-% is around 2,000cal o.O