What is going on?

Options
hbarker216
hbarker216 Posts: 24 Member
Okay, so I am new to this PCOS thing, even though i have known for at least 2 or 3 years. I am new in the sense that I still don't understand my issues completely.

I noticed that lot of people have absent or very heavy painful periods.

I wonder if it is even PCOS that i have, because my periods are complete opposite.

I have long periods, with no pain or discomfort in anyway. Basically it starts off with a light brown/dark brown discharge like an "old blood" look for about 3-4 days, then it changes to bright red at a pretty decent flow for about 5-6 days, then it turns back to a light brown discharge as if i am back to the old blood look for another week or two. Then randomly there are times that i don't have a period or period like symptoms for a week or two...but this can go on and never stop this darker discharge for weeks and weeks. Almost as if i never stop having a period. BUT none of it is painful in any way!

I have told my doctor before about how i bleed like this but they don't really give me much feedback on it. Either way it gets very annoying..makes me just get so frustrated that i want my woman parts gone. But since i have never had children i assume it would be hard to convince a doctor to do that for me. And I don't want to take birth control because well hell if I'm going to have working woman parts I don't want to take away the chance of getting pregnant.

But how the heck can i get pregnant if I'm bleeding all the time...vey very frustrating!

Does anyone know why my body would almost act as if it never wants to stop having a cycle? Why hormone would cause this to happen?

Thanks!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    First of all, the presence or absence of a period, by itself, is not indicative one way or another of PCOS. Yes, it's more common for the other extreme, but extremely long periods can also be a symptom (and someone women with PCOS still have perfectly normal cycles).

Second, your "woman parts" aren't working properly. If they were, you wouldn't have periods counted in weeks. This is indicative of hormones being unbalanced, and as long as they are unbalanced, you're unlikely to get, or stay, pregnant.

That said, consider whether you actually want to get pregnant right now. Either way, talk to your doctor about getting your hormone levels checked so that you know what's off balance and how to go about fixing things.

If you want to get pregnant now, then talk to your doctor about Clomid, which is a fertility medicine commonly used to treat women with PCOS and help them get pregnant.

If you don't want to get pregnant right now, then talk to your doctor about a hormonal birth control options. There are a variety out there, and they all work slightly differently. You may be able to find something that works for relieving your PCOS symptoms, and this method doesn't result in guaranteed infertility like a hysterectomy would do.

Also talk to your doctor about Metformin and getting your fasting glucose and fast insulin tested. Metformin is used to treat high insulin and blood sugar levels (it's primary indication is for Diabetes, but it's been used for years for women with PCOS), which can help you lose weight and potentially regulate your cycles (Insulin is another factor in PCOS that leads to some of the hormone imbalances, so sometimes just taking Metformin works for this). Sometimes Metformin and Clomid are taken alone, sometimes they're taken together (and I think, sometimes, Clomid is taken even if you don't want to get pregnant, but I'm not sure, as I haven't needed more than just Metformin), it all depends on your needs.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The frustrating thing about PCOS is that, because it's a syndrome, it is basically just a list of symptoms that tend to occur in a group but not all women have any given symptom. I have definitely heard of women who have the same kinds of periods you have.
    I agree that there is definitely something going on and you should request a full check (blood work and probably the dreaded internal ultrasound too) to figure it out. I am currently pregnant and believe me, despite the fact that getting pregnant can be so hard for us, it is definitely not the whole battle. It's heartbreaking but we are at an increased risk of miscarriage and some other complications (I was just diagnosed with mild gestational diabetes) once we do get pregnant. So I always recommend that women really research all these things thoroughly so they have a good idea of what's going on BEFORE they get pregnant because I would hate for someone to just get pregnant and THEN find out their hormones are all messed up, etc. You want to know about this beforehand so you can deal with it proactively when it occurs. Good luck!
  • hbarker216
    Options
    thanks for your insight...very helpful.
  • hbarker216
    Options
    The frustrating thing about PCOS is that, because it's a syndrome, it is basically just a list of symptoms that tend to occur in a group but not all women have any given symptom. I have definitely heard of women who have the same kinds of periods you have.
    I agree that there is definitely something going on and you should request a full check (blood work and probably the dreaded internal ultrasound too) to figure it out. I am currently pregnant and believe me, despite the fact that getting pregnant can be so hard for us, it is definitely not the whole battle. It's heartbreaking but we are at an increased risk of miscarriage and some other complications (I was just diagnosed with mild gestational diabetes) once we do get pregnant. So I always recommend that women really research all these things thoroughly so they have a good idea of what's going on BEFORE they get pregnant because I would hate for someone to just get pregnant and THEN find out their hormones are all messed up, etc. You want to know about this beforehand so you can deal with it proactively when it occurs. Good luck!

I'm not sure if i had a miscarriage once or not already. One time I was in extreme pain, usually I do not have any pain with a menstrual cycle. But I was on the road, and we stopped at a store so that i could go to the bathroom. I was hurting sooo so bad. Well went to the bathroom and i passed a grey tissue that was pretty large but it was scary for sure. Still don't know what that was either. But i did bleed, and after i passed the gray tissue...the pain slowly went away. But then again it could have maybe been a cyst or maybe something else not sure. I never went to the doctor afterwards cuz i thought i was just seeing things.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had similar symptoms and my Gyno removed several moderately sized polyps. I don't know how old you are but if you can't get a Dr to take you seriously then find a new one. Go to a larger city if needed. My Dr offered me a hysterectomy or an ablation. I also do not have kids and was only in my early 30's at the time. All with no consultation of my husbands option either ;) LOL find another dr!
  • I had similar problems as well and was diagnosed with PCOS, although it is not the only sign of PCOS.