your tips for The Long Ones please

2»

Replies

• I don't have that much local knowledge yet, it has taken me a long time to get used to running on roads (instead of across/around fields where there is no public right of way). It's building slowly though :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    It's just another run, just like all the others, only it takes longer.

That's how I approach it. Simple. :)
  • It's just another run, just like all the others, only it takes longer.

That's how I approach it. Simple. :)

perfect! thank you :)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    I generally do out and backs. When I know I have a long run coming up over the weekend, I do have plenty of mind-games going on during the week in anticipation, but the more often I accomplish those long runs, the fewer mind games I experience... here is what works for me:

(1) I do out and backs - for some reason, the test for me is making it to the turn around point. If I reach the turn around point all that is left to do is get home. Even though the turn around point is 50% of the distance, it feels like 75% of the effort for me.
    (2) I'm constantly doing fractions - for example, say I'm in the midst of a 10 mile run, so 5 miles is my halfway point that I care about getting to. Once I'm, for example, one mile in, I think 20% done! I only have to do that 4 more times! (in reality, I have to do that 9 more times, but like I said in #1, that return mileage really doesn't wear on me mentally).
    (3) People are split on this, but I need/love/must have music on my training runs. My playlist is so very random, but I like it that way because then I can just skip songs until something suits my mood. Incidentally, during races, the music is far less important to me.
    (4) as much as I can, I try to do my long weekend run first thing Saturday morning. I like getting it DONE so I don't have it hanging over my head the rest of my weekend.
    (5) finally - just believe in yourself that you CAN go the distance. In some ways that the hardest, but most important part.
  • Even though the turn around point is 50% of the distance, it feels like 75% of the effort for me.

yes! why is that?

good to know the mind games will happen less the more I do it though, thanks :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    say anything over 10 miles

I love them, but think about them a little bit too much during the week - half in happy anticipation, half in anxiety about getting lost or hit by a car. Just wondering what advice seasoned runners might have for any aspect of planning and doing the weekly Long Run. Thanks in advance!

one foot in front of the other, right? :o)

I have found it helpful, if I am running a new route, to take a ride in my car along my planned route. It gives the brain a chance to understand the challenge. Every time I have run my longest distance, it was the hardest run I have ever done. The next time, when my mind and body understand the situation, it becomes easier.

I also find myself thinking about long runs during the week. I suspect that's just natural, and I would use that as positive energy to get yourself psyched up to do it. My next training program (starting in Jan) has 5 20's in it. I am already thinking about them! lol!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I love long runs! One reason is they are on the weekends in the morning. I plan out my route on mapmyrun. I like to do a circle and I do a route I can't do during the weekday due to traffic. I do listen to music... I run through neighborhoods so there is little traffic especially early on a Saturday or Sunday. For me, I dread my shorter training runs during the week because they are either early in the morning in the dark or after work when I'm tired and just want to go home!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I generally do out and backs. When I know I have a long run coming up over the weekend, I do have plenty of mind-games going on during the week in anticipation, but the more often I accomplish those long runs, the fewer mind games I experience... here is what works for me:

(1) I do out and backs - for some reason, the test for me is making it to the turn around point. If I reach the turn around point all that is left to do is get home. Even though the turn around point is 50% of the distance, it feels like 75% of the effort for me.
    (2) I'm constantly doing fractions - for example, say I'm in the midst of a 10 mile run, so 5 miles is my halfway point that I care about getting to. Once I'm, for example, one mile in, I think 20% done! I only have to do that 4 more times! (in reality, I have to do that 9 more times, but like I said in #1, that return mileage really doesn't wear on me mentally).
    (3) People are split on this, but I need/love/must have music on my training runs. My playlist is so very random, but I like it that way because then I can just skip songs until something suits my mood. Incidentally, during races, the music is far less important to me.
    (4) as much as I can, I try to do my long weekend run first thing Saturday morning. I like getting it DONE so I don't have it hanging over my head the rest of my weekend.
    (5) finally - just believe in yourself that you CAN go the distance. In some ways that the hardest, but most important part.

Wow...I could have written this. This is me to a tee. I thought I was the only one that did the fraction thing because I'm a math geek. Glad to know I am not alone!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member

Wow...I could have written this. This is me to a tee. I thought I was the only one that did the fraction thing because I'm a math geek. Glad to know I am not alone!

My husband and I also do the fraction thing. It fits our personalities - I am an actuary and he is an engineer.

I live in an area that has a lot of running trails. I explore different areas with my shorter runs where I don't have a target mileage, but on my long runs I go for the trail and do an out-and-back. It makes it easy for me to hit my mileage goals. And I listen to music. I have downloaded a few running playlist podcasts, but I also like my collection on my MP3 player. I have a fuel belt that water bottles snap to.

And since I always run the same trail at the same time for my long runs, there are a lot of familiar faces which lead to a lot of smiles and waves. Maybe some day I will actually meet my running buddies and learn their names...
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Personally, I like loops rather than running a straight out and back. I have two "standard" loop runs, one of which is a road course and the other which is a trail course. The trail course is a 10K run. It has an out and back component but it is more loop than out and back.

The road course loop I can add segments to extend or shorten the distance (the shorter distance has steeper hills so it is a tradeoff) but the basic road course is 8 miles. I can add to it so that it is 14 miles, but the road course still ends up being a loop that starts and ends on my street.

Time is always a factor. My longest running distance has been (excluding the marathon) 26 miles. Than was accomplished by running the trail loop, the full extended road course and then coming back for another loop around the trail course. At 5 miles per hour for the long endurance runs, that can take quite a few hours. But that is what needs to be dealt with.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Do an "out-and-back" - then you won't get lost, AND you're practically forced to go the whole distance - you have to get back home somehow!

EDIT to add - I just saw someone else posted about out-and-backs too - and they also brought up another good point - in that it kind of breaks up the run, because for the first half, you're just focused on getting to the half-way point, and not the entire distance overall. Makes it seem shorter.
  • wow lots more posts, thanks everyone, it helps to know other people can be a little apprehensive about their longer runs too - I think I've worked something out for tomorrow, mostly through woods so no cars to worry about just bogeymen and deer :)
  • I cracked it, yay. :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    I just go out and run. I don't think of it as a long run, I think of it as time by myself, for myself. It is the only time I get away from everyone. If I'm not feeling the run, I cut it shorter and if I'm feeling the run, I go longer.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I'm two miles from a thirty five mile rail trail. I'll run there and back, unless I'm pushing the distance. In that case, I find the hill at .5 miles challenging, so I'll drive to the trail and run. As a new runner, I'm surprised at how hard it is, geographically, to plan good longer routes.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Do an "out-and-back" - then you won't get lost, AND you're practically forced to go the whole distance - you have to get back home somehow!

EDIT to add - I just saw someone else posted about out-and-backs too - and they also brought up another good point - in that it kind of breaks up the run, because for the first half, you're just focused on getting to the half-way point, and not the entire distance overall. Makes it seem shorter.

Yeah, the hard half is all about "getting home" so you're motivated.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I have to break my long runs into smaller runs, that is, thinking of my 24 miler coming up on Wed. as five 5 milers (and yes, I know the math isn't right). If I look at running 24 miles, without any company, on Christmas Day, it is completely overwhelming. A couple of 5 milers isn't so bad~5 miles is a warm up, right!? It's playing little mind games like that, well it really does help.

Right now, we have a brand new highway that is not yet open to traffic that I have been saving as my treat on which to run my 24 miler on Christmas Day. 12 miles out and 12 miles back on fresh, new asphalt! Can you say, "Happy Feet!"
  • As a new runner, I'm surprised at how hard it is, geographically, to plan good longer routes.

I can't imagine doing it without access to other runner's routes, on garmin or mapmyrun, but it's so much better if someone comes out with me for at least part of the way the first time otherwise I get lost (or feel lost, not quite the same thing) very easily. I don't mind the feeling of being lost off road though, it's not quite so scary.
  • Right now, we have a brand new highway that is not yet open to traffic that I have been saving as my treat on which to run my 24 miler on Christmas Day. 12 miles out and 12 miles back on fresh, new asphalt! Can you say, "Happy Feet!"

awwww happy christmas to your feet! that sounds so nice!