Re- thinking my 2014 race schedule

Options
So for 2014 I really wanted to run the Disney race in CA. But the more I think about it the more I just want to forget it and do other races instead. I did not realize that it was going to be that expensive. What I will be paying for the race I could probably sign up for two more races.

I live in AZ I need to find races in CA that I can run.

How do you guys find your races?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    This is one of the places I look

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

I used to use Active.com but I don't like the way it's set up now.

I think most of the other places I look are specific to Texas.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Add to the already mentioned:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm

Your local running shop/club
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are working on the 50 states. We each search around the internet when needing a break from work. We also ask around a lot - when we travel for races we meet other runners working on the 50. We are trying to mix the less desireable states with the more thrilling ones and mix it up geographically. We haven't really let price be a driving factor - We aren't too frugal when it comes to running and destination races. Before my husband and I met, he did a lot of Rock'n'Roll races. They are big and expensive, but they are all over the country so we continue to do a lot. We try to set up our race calendar well in advance to get in on early bird pricing. However, we want to start a family in the near future so planning races a 9-12 months out is a bit more of a gamble.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I considered doing Tinkerbell with some friends, but honestly I'm kind of glad the timing didn't work out because YES, it was pricey!!

I live in CA so I do lots of California races. I just posted on your wall about the SF Half Marathon. I also really enjoyed the Santa Cruz half marathon last year and I've signed up for that one again (it's in April). There's also the Capitola Half Marathon/Surfers Path Marathon. This one runs in May, has the same starting location as the Santa Cruz Half Marathon, but starts out going the opposite direction. Half Marathon runners run from Santa Cruz to Capitola Village and then back again to end on the beach.

I did the Half Moon Bay marathon last year (this is in the fall) and *loved* it; they have a half marathon option too. I feel like this race cares first and foremost about the runners and their experience. Granted all races *should* be like this, but sadly many seem to care about money and pleasing their sponsors over the runners.

I also did the Humboldt marathon along the Avenue of the Giants. This, too, has a half marathon option. While running through the trees was gorgeous, I'll admit it did get a bit monotonous for me because the scenery was largely unchanging. Every few feet there was a giant, majestic tree. Oh, look, another tree! Oh, wait, here comes a tree! You get the idea... on the flip side, the volunteers for this race were all great, and it was CHEAP as road races go, and you are guaranteed shade (which I love).

The Big Sur series is EXCELLENT. The full marathon has long been sold out for 2014. That's in the spring. In the fall they do a half marathon on a completely different course - but it's great!! Really pretty along the coastline and you go right through Cannery Row. That would be a fabulous destination half marathon. Not too hilly either.

Ones that I haven't done but I'm intrigued by - Santa Barbara (usually in the fall) and there seem to be quite a few up in the Napa/Sonoma area which I'm sure would be really pretty. I also happen to love wine, so that would be an added bonus. Lake Tahoe also has a complete marathon weekend full of different races, but I just don't think I can handle the altitude up there!

Happy planning!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    This is one of the places I look

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

I used to use Active.com but I don't like the way it's set up now.

I think most of the other places I look are specific to Texas.

Thank you
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Add to the already mentioned:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm

Your local running shop/club

Thank you, I need to find a local running club.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I considered doing Tinkerbell with some friends, but honestly I'm kind of glad the timing didn't work out because YES, it was pricey!!

I live in CA so I do lots of California races. I just posted on your wall about the SF Half Marathon. I also really enjoyed the Santa Cruz half marathon last year and I've signed up for that one again (it's in April). There's also the Capitola Half Marathon/Surfers Path Marathon. This one runs in May, has the same starting location as the Santa Cruz Half Marathon, but starts out going the opposite direction. Half Marathon runners run from Santa Cruz to Capitola Village and then back again to end on the beach.

I did the Half Moon Bay marathon last year (this is in the fall) and *loved* it; they have a half marathon option too. I feel like this race cares first and foremost about the runners and their experience. Granted all races *should* be like this, but sadly many seem to care about money and pleasing their sponsors over the runners.

I also did the Humboldt marathon along the Avenue of the Giants. This, too, has a half marathon option. While running through the trees was gorgeous, I'll admit it did get a bit monotonous for me because the scenery was largely unchanging. Every few feet there was a giant, majestic tree. Oh, look, another tree! Oh, wait, here comes a tree! You get the idea... on the flip side, the volunteers for this race were all great, and it was CHEAP as road races go, and you are guaranteed shade (which I love).

The Big Sur series is EXCELLENT. The full marathon has long been sold out for 2014. That's in the spring. In the fall they do a half marathon on a completely different course - but it's great!! Really pretty along the coastline and you go right through Cannery Row. That would be a fabulous destination half marathon. Not too hilly either.

Ones that I haven't done but I'm intrigued by - Santa Barbara (usually in the fall) and there seem to be quite a few up in the Napa/Sonoma area which I'm sure would be really pretty. I also happen to love wine, so that would be an added bonus. Lake Tahoe also has a complete marathon weekend full of different races, but I just don't think I can handle the altitude up there!

Happy planning!

This is AWESOME!!!, I did not realized that you lived in CA. I am from CA but live in AZ. CA races will work great in convincing my husband on my running schedule for 2014 he can visit family in CA while I go run :laugh:
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i also live in AZ. I am doing rock n roll az in january. There is the sedona marathon and 1/2 feb 1 and phoenix marathon i believe is in march. You are right though. Its tricky to find az races so i've been looking in california as well.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    i also live in AZ. I am doing rock n roll az in january. There is the sedona marathon and 1/2 feb 1 and phoenix marathon i believe is in march. You are right though. Its tricky to find az races so i've been looking in california as well.

I am actually running my first half in the Phoenix Marathon. Just looking for more races after I complete my first Half :).
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am in southern California and use raceplace.com to find most of my races. I tend to race in San Diego more than anywhere else.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am in southern California and use raceplace.com to find most of my races. I tend to race in San Diego more than anywhere else.

Thanks, I would not mind running in San Diego we can make a vacation out of it :) any races that you recommend?
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    I am doing the holiday half on the 29th. Its the first run of the race but so far the communication is amazing. They have even partnered with the local starbucks and supermarket to prepare for people waiting for the race to start. I am also running the mermaid half in February.

I have done America's finest city and it was a nice race as well.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am doing the holiday half on the 29th. Its the first run of the race but so far the communication is amazing. They have even partnered with the local starbucks and supermarket to prepare for people waiting for the race to start. I am also running the mermaid half in February.

I have done America's finest city and it was a nice race as well.

Thanks I will check out some of those, I am looking for something around June or July
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    America's finest city is in August :-)
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think San Diego is the first week of June? In the Rock n Roll series. The Arizona Road Racers has a 5k summer series. You can check them out. They have races all year with the longer distances in the winter & shorter in summer.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've done two Disney races (third coming up in February) and while they are pricey, they are a whole lot of fun and are really well done. My final one will be next year (the Dopey challenge) and if I can swing it, the Tink in May but it's going to be a tough sell as Dopey is something like $600. But then, you are running 4 races in 4 days and get 4 shirts and 6 medals.