Desolation of Smaug

Options
mruntidy
mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
Looks like this comes out for everyone roughly on the same day, who's excited and looking forward to destroying a bag of popcorn or worried it just won't be like the book? I'm certainly excited so far :happy:

http://www.thehobbit.com/releasedates/

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Doesn't come out here in Russia until the 19th. IF I can find an English theater that will be showing it, I get to take 6 of my classes, though, meaning I get to see it three times! :D I'm really, really hoping I can find one.. haha
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to the movie. I know it won't be like the book, this one from the trailer strays even further. Doesn't make it any less fun :)
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Anyone else planning on going to the midnight showing tonight (if you're in a place that offers one)? I'm trying to decide. Part of me says I should be an adult and wait since I have to be at work at 8:30 the next morning and all that garbage. And then part of me just screams ALL THE THINGS! ALL THE DWARVESES! ALL THE POPCORNS! :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I gotta work but I'll probably try to hit it over the weekend.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a midnight premiere tonight! This will be my first - my 15 year old wants to go (she went last year but was with other friends and their parents, and hubs went and picked her up in the wee hours of the morning!), and so I'm going with her. I have mixed feelings about pulling a near all-nighter - I'm getting too old for that stuff! :bigsmile:

Looking forward to the crowd, the costumes (kid will be in her Hobbit costume - was planning an elf costume, but I was a slacker and haven't gotten it done!), and just the fun of an opening night crowd. You know all the people who will be there for a midnight premiere are there because they love the movie - not like weekend movie goers who go see whatever is new just because. We saw the re-showings of LOTR films a couple of summers back when they showed them in theaters again, and the crowds were just awesome - quiet, no narrating, no texting - it was so refreshing! Same experience with the Doctor Who 50th a couple of weeks ago - awesome crowd.

So aside from being out in line in the cold tonight (we have our tickets, but still have to wait until it's time to go in) and staying up most of the night, I'm looking forward to it! Kid has her last day of school before Christmas break tomorrow, so we'll be up after a couple hours of sleep to get her to school. Poor kid - but she loves it, and did it last year, and since her finals are all done, she will spend the half day in the journalism lab writing her review of the film, so it can be edited and posted before the day is out.

I see a huge Starbucks in my future later this evening. Ha!
  • dennshah01
    dennshah01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will probably wait to see it Christmas day, like I did last year. It was a super chill day of waking up and going to a matinee movie, and it was EMPTY! Also, I am getting my small bag of popcorn with butter... Yeah!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more excited for anchorman 2, but im hoping to go see both movies on the same day if i plan it right :)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We're off to see it on Boxing Day with it already being out for a couple of weeks it should be nice and quiet :)
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hope to see it soon.
  • Kaylee_F93
    Options
    I am going to see it tonight! YAY!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Loved it! Can't wait to see it again (when I'm not so sleepy!). :tongue:

Smaug was AMAZING!

And I sat next to the Witch King at the theater last night! His costume was simple but definitely one of the best there. Awesome mask made of lightweight cardboard and painted, spikes added from rolled paper and hot glued on.

There's a photo here:
    Wish I had gotten a full shot of him, and before they made him ditch his sword - glad they let him keep his mask, although they made him take it off when he came in....he put it back on though, and it was fun to see people's reactions as they came up the steps past his seat. :bigsmile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    In other news, I found myself coveting King Thranduil's hair - it's gorgeous! Best elf hair ever! LOL Pie-man makes a great elf!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Did somebody say Benedict Cumberbatch? I'm there!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Did somebody say Benedict Cumberbatch? I'm there!
    Cumberbatch's Smaug is just fantastic!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved it. But I haven't read the book. I'm waiting until the third movie for that... this way I don't have to be upset that it's nothing like the books, lol. Worst ending in the history of movies though. Ugh.

It's funny though, I loved the first one so much too, but got bored when I watched it again (I bought the extended version). There's really something about seeing a movie in Imax 3D.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Soooooooo excited to see it! But with three kiddos under five, I have to wait until we can get a babysitter...so no midnight shows for me. But definitely one we will see ASAP! I love the idea of Christmas Day. Maybe after our food my parents will be in a generous mood so my hubby and I can go see it. Hmmmmm.....
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It was pretty awesome! I've read the book and I had my little moments of disappointment but I still thought it was good. Smaug was incredible!! I couldn't get over how awesome he looked.
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Finally saw it this week. It was long, but like the first movie, none of it was boring. The whole Legolas-Tauriel subplot is a little silly, but at this point it's not really detracting from anything else.

Loved all the dragon scenes.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Was I the only one thinking "Sherlock's trying to kill Watson by breathing fire on him?". Seriously, great casting in this movie. I especially loved Thranduil, wishing there was more of him in the movie.