Evening Half Marathon

Options
58Rock
58Rock Posts: 176 Member
I have been running for a number of years. Have quite a few halfs, ten-milers, 10ks, 25ks, a marathon, and a lot trail runs at those same distances. I know how to prep for all of them. They have all started fairly early in the morning. However, the first week of December I am running an "Illumination Half" that starts at 6pm. Has anyone else run a half or marathon at night and how would you prep the day of the race?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would just play it like a regular day and just not eat anything for a couple hours prior. Sounds like fun!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I did one last year. As an early morning runner, it was not my favorite time of day to race (ours started ~ 8:30 pm?).

As an early morning/empty stomach runner/racer, the food issue was tough for me.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Do any of you experienced folk think you can 'train' yourself to run better in the evening just by doing it more often or is it a case of some people just run better on empty and that's how it's going to be?
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No experience but I run in the afternoons, evenings on a regular basis (in fact morning races are hard). I eat normal but have my last meal at least 3 hours before I run.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I will "carb up" at my morning meal and eat light the rest of day with heavy emphasis on carbs and a fair amount of protien. Stay well hydrated during the day and not eat anytime after 3 hours prior. It's not like it is a marathon but I still like to be well prepared. Always good to be ready and at your best regardless of the distance.
  • snshine1028
    snshine1028 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed! My first night half is in 3 weeks!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i did a night half this year that started at 9pm, IIRC. I just ate a solid breakfast, a lightish lunch and what I usually eat pre-race for dinner. I had no issues.... then I hit a Walmart on the way home and bought a bunch of fruit, cashews and popcorn and snacked all the way home LOL.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i did rock n roll las vegas marathon. ate a heavy breakfast and did mu usual cliff bar 2 hours pre race, worked perfectly
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I did the Wine and Dine in Disney and that starts at 10pm. Didn't finish until after midnight.. personally for me, I wasn't a fan but I know a lot of people liked it. I just hadn't trained at night other than running around 7 or 8pm. Make sure to hydrate a lot the day before and that morning. Don't walk a lot during the day - try to just relax.