Switching from All Pro's to SL, need help getting started.

Options
I have been doing All Pro's for about 5 months or so. I will be completing the 4th cycle sometime this week...probably will do it Mon, Wed, and finish on Fri. My question is, should I start with the weights I'm using now on AP or start over?

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with All-Pro's, but if squats, deads, bench and ohp are part of it, I would suggest you take a deload (maybe to 60%), check that your form is top notch, (plus it would give you a deload week, which would be a good idea) and then roar on ahead. It might be super easy for a while, but you can use that time to nail your form to the wall, and it should let you avoid stalling for a while, while still maintaining your current LBM.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'd start over, only because it ramps up very, very quickly and you want to give yourself time to adapt.

Better than starting too high and then having to deload a bunch of times and struggling and quitting.

You can always go higher if you're into it a week or two and find that it's too easy. But it's a very aggressive program and so it's certainly not going to stay light for long.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with All-Pro's, but if squats, deads, bench and ohp are part of it, I would suggest you take a deload (maybe to 60%), check that your form is top notch, (plus it would give you a deload week, which would be a good idea) and then roar on ahead. It might be super easy for a while, but you can use that time to nail your form to the wall, and it should let you avoid stalling for a while, while still maintaining your current LBM.

Yes, AP consists of doing squats, bench press, bent over rows, overhead bb press, and deadlifts...optional are curls which I do and calf raises which I don't. You do them all 3X per week, with a heavy day, medium day (90%) and light day (80%). Week 1 you do 2 sets of 8, week 2 2 sets of 9, etc. up to week 5 when you do 2 sets of 12. If you pass that week, you add 10% and start over. If I deload 60% I would be under the bb weight. :blushing: Should I start with the bar of my 5 rep max?
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'd start over, only because it ramps up very, very quickly and you want to give yourself time to adapt.

Better than starting too high and then having to deload a bunch of times and struggling and quitting.

You can always go higher if you're into it a week or two and find that it's too easy. But it's a very aggressive program and so it's certainly not going to stay light for long.

Yeah, based on what you and Kira suggested, it looks like I should start over. I remember when I thought AP was way too easy and now I struggle all the time. One thing I've learned is that lifting gets extremely difficult when you continue doing it on a deficit!! Looks like I will be eating maintenance over Christmas so I'm excited to see how much that helps.