Calorie goal in 3rd Trimester

Options
I am 30 weeks and I currently have my calorie goal set to gain a half pound a week. I typically get close to that goal, some days are under and some are over. I never restrict myself if I'm getting close to my goal but I will try to substitute a lower calorie food if hungry. My problem is since hitting 27 weeks I've gained a half a pound total (gained 1.5, stayed constant, then lost a pound). I gained 9 pounds between weeks 20 and 27 where I wasn't tracking and when I started back up I was eating almost 1000 calories over my goal.

So my questions is should I be increasing my calorie goal to gain a pound a week so I gain more weight or am I fine where I am? My doctor isn't concerned about my weight gain or lack of, I'm more just wondering what most 3rd trimester moms have their goals set to as I don't want to be restricting myself unintentionally. Thanks!

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutritionist at the start of my 3rd trimester and she suggested I eat around 1700-1800 calories minimum. I rarely went over 2000. I have a somewhat active job (I teach so I'm on my feet 7+ hrs a day, but it's not like I'm doing manual labor). I gained *maybe* 4 lbs during my 3rd trimester, with a total weight gain of about 24 lbs. Towards the end I totally lacked motivation to log, but was eating the same foods that I'd been eating for a while, so I knew what my approximate caloric intake was

My baby girl is 1 week old today and I'm down 15 lbs.

It sounds like you have the right attitude. Eat if you're hungry. Make good choices. Maybe even log just a few times a week to stay on track, without stressing too much. I could be totally wrong, but I think "we're gonna gain what we're gonna gain, and as long as it's from healthy foods we'll be okay". I've had friends lose weight while pregnant, others have gained 60+ lbs...and we've all had healthy, happy babies and they all (me too, I hope) got back to their pre-pregnancy weight by going slow & steady.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. I was told you should gain most in 3rd trimester and eat about 300cal over goal. I'm starting my 3rd trimester now and my weight gain is slowing down, which is good. I gained a lot at the beginning of my second and my doctor advised me to stop gaining weight. I know I'll gain if I gain.

My plan is to continue to eat at 1800 (maintenance) but to not feel bad when I go over (which will happen with holidays coming up).

I don't feel like tracking most of the time but when I do I manage to stay around 1800, probably going over once or twice a week, which seems to balance out of me.

Don't let yourself be hungry, don't overeat all the time and make healthy-ish choices.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I gained a grand total of 19 lbs during my pregnancy.

For stats:
    I'm 5'2" and pre-pregnancy weight was 144.
    My maintenance is 1825-1850ish.

I consumed no less than 2100 calories/day (average was around 2250) and since I was on bedrest for weeks 32-37, I had no exercise during that time. I drank tons of water, consumed good & bad foods (rootbeer and snickers once a day...ok, sometimes a few times) and only really ate when I was hungry. I also logged & weighed everything.

My girl is one week old today (8 lb, 3oz & 19.5 inches long) and I've lost 23 pounds.

Good luck!