WEEK 9 Red team

Options
77chantelle
77chantelle Posts: 112 Member
How is everyone? I am still struggling with weekends but my days are getting better. Sick kids over the weekend and today, that time of year. Good Luck this week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AupZ8kDMiwo-dGNNemZqLVF4SWhQM2JHcFVpVXpKY1E&usp=sharing#gid=0
red team spreadsheet

Replies

• Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, did you miss me?

Im back from my trip and it was great (aside from the emergency landing on the flight home, but thats another story). Unfortunately I am sick now though and have been since sunday. I havent gotten to watch the show yet but am going to try to do it now to figure out a challange for us and then get to work on the spreadsheets for the past couple weeks. Just wanted to get this started so you would know I hadnt forgotten about it!

And thanks to AprilStar for running the challenge while I was gone!
    Edit:: Ok the challenge on the show last night had to deal with answering trivia questions about obesity to get points for your team. This is one we've done here before and people seem to gather alot of good infomation. This weeks challenge for us is going to be 3 parts

Part 1) AS A TEAM - answer the ten multiple choice questions listed here. You should discuss on your team thread and then one member should post your teams answers here (or in a PM to me if you prefer)
    Part 2) AS AN INDIVIDUAL - answer at least one trivia question in the main thread, and post a new one. PLEASE make sure you are responding to the last question asked and make reference to that question in your response, then post a new question of your own for someone to asnwer.

For example:
    AprilStar480 posts : "How many teaspoons of sugar does a typical can of soda have?"
    I repond " A can of soda has 10 teaspoons of sugar. Next question: True or false, You should wait until you are hungry to eat?"
    TamBam72 "False, waiting until you are hungry could result in skipping meals which triggers your body to hold on to fat and burn fewer calories. Next Question: How many calories will a person burn if they walk 1 mile on flat ground, at 3 miles per hour, and they weigh 200 pounds? A. 110 B. 200 C. 400

Get it? Good

Part 3) The challenge on the show had everyone worrying about how they are going to balance work and workouts once they get home (the losers had to work in a diner all week instead of spending it in a gym) This is a problem most of us face as there just isnt enough time in the day to get everything done. The physical challenge this week is to complete the 'workout at work" found in this link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/ This has a total of 12 exercises that you can do anywhere. No, they dont have to be done at work necessarily, but they could. They could also be done while you are watching TV, waiting at the bus stop for your kids, cooking dinner, riding the elevator, even talking on the phone. They can all be done fairly quickly, involve some cardiovascular exercise, and could have weights added in if you wanted for an extra kick. The point of this exercise is that there is always some type of exercise that you can fit in even if you only have 20 seconds. If you have the option to do this at work, I strongly suggest you try it - Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day can have bad effects on your body (sore back and neck anyone?) and just a few moments of activity and stretching can help to remedy hours of sitting there

Challenge summary
    1)as a team answer the 10 quesations posted in the main thread - one rep for each team shoudlo post the answers
    2)individually post one trivia answer and a new question for the next person in the main thread
    3) complete the "workout at work" http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/

Im working on the spreadsheet and can hopeully have the stats from this week and last up soon!

Team trivia questions: please discuss as a team and have one member report your answers to me by 8pm EST tuesday

1) A BMI of ___ is considered obese for adults
    a. 25
    b. 30
    c. 35

2) A startling ____ of people who reach their weight loss goals relapse and gain the weight back within 5 years
    a. 68%
    b. 85%
    c. 90%

3) All of the following diseases have been linked to obesity except
    a. Diabetes
    b. Gallstones
    c. Cancer
    d. Ulcers
    e. Crohn’s
    f. All of the above are linked to obesity

4) Excess weight may be linked to memory loss. A recent study showed a ___point drop in memory score for each BMI point increase in a woman’s weight.
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3

5) Lower levels of ____ in obese people may affect the immune system and increase the risk for asthma and allergy
    a. Iron
    b. Zinc
    c. Vitamin D
    d. Vitamin A

6) Obesity can affect a woman’ s fertility through all of the following except
    a. PCOS
    b. Decreased sex drive
    c. hyperandrogenic (excess male hormone) state
    d. irregular menses
    e. all of the above are linked to obesity

7) Obesity ranks ___ among preventable causes of death
    a. 1st
    b. 2nd
    c. 3rd

8) How many pounds would a 300 lb person need to lose before they started to see improvements in their health
    a. 1-5 lb
    b. 10-15lb
    c. 25-30 lbs
    d. 40-50 lbs

9) What obesity related disease, typically associated with adults is now being diagnosed in children as young as 5-10 years old in the US
    a. Type 2 Diabetes
    b. Heart Disease
    c. Osteoporosis
    d. Infertility

10) Approximately ___ of the adult US population is considered obese
    a. 10%
    b. 20%
    c. 30%
    d. 40%
    e. 50%
  • health1971
    Options
    Team trivia answers:

1) b
    2) c
    3) f
    4) a
    5) c
    6) e
    7) b
    8) c
    9) b
    10) c
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Thanks, i have been so busy this week and havent been able to log on. Does everyone agree with health 1971 answers? Remember to do the other part of the challenge and post weight on spreadsheet by tomorrow.
  • jamiegephart
    Options
    I agree with the answers
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    9) What obesity related disease, typically associated with adults is now being diagnosed in children as young as 5-10 years old in the US
    a. Type 2 Diabetes
    b. Heart Disease
    c. Osteoporosis
    d. Infertility

I think the answer to this is A. Type 2 Diabetes

what do the rest of you think?
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Hi, has anyone done the third challenge? My job is to work out:laugh: On Thursday during my weight circuit class we did side lunges, jump squats, punching with a lunge. This week I am going to raise the roof with hi knee and add a knee lift with a hop. If you haven't checked the website please do! You can do the same exercise at home watching TV.
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been missing this week. It's that time of year... 4 kids, 13 nieces/nephews, and holiday parties galore! I didn't participate at all in the challenge this week:embarassed: I will do my best to be more active this week. Good news though, I'm did manage to lose some of that weight I gained over Thanksgiving:bigsmile: