Need Christmas gift ideas!

Options
Hey gals- my husband and I are going low-key for Christmas this year since baby is coming in 6 weeks and we have already spent a ton on gear. We already discussed that we are getting each other a small camcorder for X-mas... but I want to get him something else!

Is there anything you have bought your husband that he absolutely loves when it comes to baby/relaxation (this is our first baby- a girl)? I am going back to work after my 6 weeks and my husband is staying home during the day and working nights until I get off for the summer. I was thinking of getting him a diaper dude bag since the one we got from our in-laws is very girly. I could also get him a couple lift tickets at our local resort since he loves to snowboard... I am on the fence with this one though- is it selfish to want to spend weekends with him and our new baby since we will have little time together during the week?

We only have a 2 bedroom so we are trying to not get a bunch of "stuff". We are overflowing already!

ideas?

Replies

• Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My idea would be not to get him anything, or maybe a last nice meal out with the two of you (if you can still handle it). Or a massage for the two of you before baby comes.

I'm expecting my first and as you, I don't want to overcrowd the place, so if I'd have a diaper bag, though girly, I wouldn't buy a second one. On the other hand, the ski pass sounds lovely but only if it is used before the baby's born. He might actually also prefer to spend weekends with you once the baby's born instead of snowboarding.

Do you have a special bag for the camcorder?
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    We've got a 12 day old here & I asked my husband what he'd want for Christmas this year (if we bought for each other, which we don't & haven't in our 15 yrs of marriage) and his reply was: Really Good Coffee!!

I like the diaper bag idea. We don't actually have one, but took a large Chicago Blackhawks tote and put a diaper changing kit & other essentials in it. We're both big fans if the team and the bag! I'd think the hubby would appreciate a "manlier bag".

Ski lift tickets: I imagine you have a long ski season up there so a couple days without him wouldn't be such a bad thing, spread over a few months. (Mine has been home with me since our kid was born and I'm anxiously awaiting his return to work!) I think normal things will be appreciated so much more once baby is here & a routine is in place.

Oh, one more thing...maybe a IOU for a family thing when baby is a little older? I know my husband can't wait to take our girl to the Nature Museum, the zoo, etc... Or if you're athletic some sort of gear for taking baby along--an Ergo carrier, bike trailer, etc... We live by "Invest in experiences, not in things" but with a baby we do need some things in order to enjoy the experiences!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have to say that my husband didn't really want to go anywhere with the baby to the point where having his own diaper bag was meaningful (also, ours is pretty neutral, I prefer a plain messenger style). I think a guy baby carrier might be a good investment, though. Lisa mentioned the Ergo, and that is pretty dad-friendly.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Our changing bag was black, so my husband could use it, but if he ever takes our kids out he just takes his own bag and chucks nappies, wipes etc in it. So I wouldn't waste money on one.

My husband has an Xbox one, so when he wants to relax, he plays on that, or watches a movie on Netflix or something.

Our third baby is due in April, but we're not buying anything special this Xmas. Most presents are for our 2 and 4 year old.

I can't believe you only get 6 weeks maternity leave by the way. We can take a year in England!
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I can't believe it is already the 17th... where does time go?? Christmas is in a week!