Treadmill Marathon

Options
After only running one mile today, I am considering doing something crazy tomorrow to redeem myself (I am still on the fence).

I turned to Google to see if anyone else is as crazy as I am. It turns out they are!

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/treadmill-marathon-at-la-bar-set-for-sunday
http://santamonicasportsclub.com/TreadmillMarathon

Before anyone asks, yes I have already completed a beer mile race as described by the link in the Runners World article above:

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/chugging-along

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd rather place my bare genitals on hot coals than run a marathon on the treadmill...but maybe that's just me.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    That would be as much fun as watching paint dry.
    Personally I couldn't do it
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I suppose you don't want to run outside because it's "wintery" right?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I suppose you don't want to run outside because it's "wintery" right?

I will run at least one mile outside everyday this winter

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132040-winter-run-streak

I am just not sure if I want to run 26.2 miles outside in this weather. I have been wishing I ran a second marathon this fall. As crazy as this sounds, the boredom factor makes this challenge more interesting to me. If I do it I am hoping audio books or language lectures will keep me awake.

My biggest fear is that I earn my first DNF ..... as a result of boredom
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I ran 25 miles on my treadmill last year because i had a May marathon and we had an ice storm in April the day I was due for the long run. I watched a movie on my kindle and veged out....it wasn't so bad. Hahaaa yeah right...
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I ran n 18 miler on a tread mill and nearly went insane. Good luck if you're serious.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah...staring at the same stop sign for 4 hours doesn't excite me. Good luck though.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea, James. You know I love to support you, but that just sounds downright horrid!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm with the choir here. You do lots of pretty awesome feats, but this ain't one of them haha
  • MSRunner23
    Options
    Count me in for that sounds awful.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think that would be just enough to kill your joy of running forever.
    Signed,
    A guy who was consigned to an indoor exercise bike for two months following knee surgery.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it.. no way.. no how!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've ran a half marathon on my treadmill, and was training for another marathon on it, when I changed my workout goals. I do it because I am visually impaired (legally blind) and unable to run outside. So, I just crank up my tunes on my ipod and go. Since I'm unable to run any other way now, I've grown to enjoy my treadmill. It's all a state of mind. Good luck on your goal. You can do it!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    This is the same feeling as when someone drags their fingernails down a chalk board....good luck to you. I have had to do long runs on a treadmill before and every time I step down, I always say never again. It is a different mental challenge.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I would never be able to do it.

Even with my tablet playing a movie, I can't stay on the treadmill more than an hour.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Made the attempt this morning (DNF - boredome after 14 miles). Gave up and ran one mile outside in the cold afterwards (it was much more enjoyable despite the freezing temps).
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Made the attempt this morning (DNF - boredome after 14 miles). Gave up and ran one mile outside in the cold afterwards (it was much more enjoyable despite the freezing temps).
    Sorry, honey. DNF does NOT mean that you failed. You're awesome and I applaud you for trying!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd rather place my bare genitals on hot coals than run a marathon on the treadmill...but maybe that's just me.

How come there's not a like button in the forums yet?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

No. That's not a DNF. That's a major win. 14 miles on a treadmill. That takes balls of steel.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You know OP, I used to detest cold weather (still do actually), hated the wind, didn't like it if it rained when running etc etc etc.

However, something happened the other week and made me realize something. I was walking home from work, the weather was windy, damp and it was cold. I knew I was going to train but I was debating whether or not to run on the treadmill or venture outside. I ran on the treadmill.

Then two days later, whilst I was at work, the weather was dire and once again, I debated, outside or treadmill. It was only whilst I was walking home I realized that if I could walk home from work in that weather, I could damn well run in it, the cold would only last a few minutes after which the running would warm me through anyway. Running is as important to me as going to work is, more so in fact, the only difference being work is a necessity because I get paid for it and it pays the bills lol.

Therefore, if it is that important and I can walk home from work in bad weather, I am damn sure I can make the effort and run in it in an activity that means even more to me.

The only weather I will not run in however, is snow, ice and gale-force winds, snow and ice could have me fall over and get hurt and gale-force winds could force me over the sea wall - none of which fill me with joy :laugh: