Mental help!

Options
I feel compelled to post! I'm one month post op on the 15th! I've actually had normal/decent wt. loss! However my mind is not letting me enjoy it :(. I think since I can eat more calories now, and I actually feel when I'm hungry sometimes, my mind is occupied by thoughts like I haven't lost that much, I'm craving chocolate, my weight is dropping so slowly what if it just stops ! What if I stretch my pouch out. ( I stay under 1000 cal) & exercise , it's just this week I feel like my motivation dropped a bit.

Don't mean to sound negative :( I'm really not. Just wondering if any sleevers remember any similar struggles in first few months post op?? What did you do if you wanted chocolate or any craving? Any motivations pleassseeee & Thank U!!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are really craving chocolate, or could it possibly be "head hunger"? I haven't had any cravings or anything, but sometimes I feel like I am not losing at all, and I totally am. I also worry a lot about the "what ifs". I think it's a combination of things - losing rather quickly in a relatively short time, for one thing. I feel like it takes my brain a while to catch up to and recognize the changes in my body. Also, most of us had not seen any significant weight loss in a really long time prior to surgery, and for me personally, sometimes it feels too good to be true. A lot of us have yo-yo'd over the years, and when things are going really well after surgery, I think we sort of expect that at some point, maybe we will end up gaining again, because it's been a pattern.

I started seeing a therapist before the surgery and I continue to see him. He suggests that I focus on the positives, the things I am excited about, because it's easy to dwell on the possible negatives. It really works. I stop myself from worrying and remind myself of all the awesome changes, big and little, that I have to look forward to. I also started journaling and that really helps. I know it's hard to shift focus, but try to think of all the awesome changes in your life that will be a result of the surgery!
  • godsnurse1
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I appreciate the feedback & that reminds me I said I would start journaling and haven't yet. I imagine that will be helpful. I guess since things settled down after surgery my mind is all over the place, Figuring out "head hunger", MFP, REmembering to eat slow, drink fluids , am I hungry or thirsty... Etc.. I think I got scared cuz when I was feeling like having chocolate it kinda reminded me of myself " pre surgery". So it kinda triggered emotions.

Today is a better day, you made a very good point !! Focusing on the positives, Day by Day!,, Thank u
  • SOCALGIRLY38
    SOCALGIRLY38 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I can empathize with you... A lot of what I think I am hearing you saying (you don't believe this will really work, because of xxxxx).

I really feel like this core message comes from inside all of us. Obviously especially those who have struggled with their weight. Put your faith in God that you are going to be just fine!! Make up your mind to change those thoughts when they come on the scene, to 'I will achieve my goals" " My body can DO this thing" I am strong, patient, kind, loving and worthy of being a healthy weight......

I really enjoy the Christian based book by Lysa TerKeurest - Made to Crave...

God bless, I am right there with you.... 1 postive thought after another and we can change our bodies & minds......

Tiffany
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to post! I'm one month post op on the 15th! I've actually had normal/decent wt. loss! However my mind is not letting me enjoy it :(. I think since I can eat more calories now, and I actually feel when I'm hungry sometimes, my mind is occupied by thoughts like I haven't lost that much, I'm craving chocolate, my weight is dropping so slowly what if it just stops ! What if I stretch my pouch out. ( I stay under 1000 cal) & exercise , it's just this week I feel like my motivation dropped a bit.

Don't mean to sound negative :( I'm really not. Just wondering if any sleevers remember any similar struggles in first few months post op?? What did you do if you wanted chocolate or any craving? Any motivations pleassseeee & Thank U!!

Remember "It takes 21 days to form a habit, good or bad." Give yourself time and be patient and forgiving of yourself. Make a checklist of good things you need to do every day (short list) and after about 3 weeks they will come more naturally. Concern yourself less with caloric intake and more with protein. In the short run your would have you really stuff yourself to stretch the pouch and that would cause major complications and sickness - so don't worry! I was sleeved 9/26 and was hoping for a 50lb loss by Christmas. My wife kept telling me I would blow past that and she was right. Recognizing the person in the mirror has taken time, it's like looking at an old photo of a younger me.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Are you grazing or incorporating past problem foods? I noticed a strong spike in my compulsive food thoughts when I slipped into grazing instead of 3 meals and a snack or tried to include my past problem foods in to my meals. My wt loss stalled and I started to pine for pasta and cruise the kitchen and fridge looking at food. I renewed my commitment to let pasta go. If I didn't I realized I would likely end up a wls failure. Rice noodles are like heroin for me, 2 tsp and I am like any addict craving the next fix. Rice noodles were killing me and I told myself why would I go through all this just to eat the thing that was going to widower my husband and leave my child motherless. I focus on developing new delicious meat recipes for my new life. I aim for 750 calories a day to keep my wt loss steady. I blow over but I find that I don't lose wt if I aim for 1000 cause then I blow over to 1200+. This has worked for me. Good luck.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Most of us lose our sense of "hunger" for the first 12 months or so, so I'm thinking you are probably not really hungry per se. I agree with the person who pointed out reincorporating problem or trigger foods into your diet might make you "think" you are hungry. Personally I have a few trigger foods and have not added them back into my diet since my surgery 2.5 years ago. Frankly my fear is that I won't be any more able to control myself now with these foods than I was before surgery. If that's true, then I would fail at getting and keeping the weight off. So these foods just aren't worth it to me.

Changing our mindsets about food can be hard, but it's also very necessary. I eat now because I have to, not necessarily because I want to. I concentrate on getting in my protein every day while staying within a certail calorie level. Food is now fuel, not pleasure, security, something to make me feel good or something to fill in empty time. Don't misunderstand, I still enjoy food, but not at all like I used to or for any of the same reasons, if that makes sense.

You can do this, we all can. This tool we've been given will help us lose it and can help us keep it off IF WE KEEP USING THIS TOOL. It's when we stop using it and go back to old eating and exercise habits that we will regain.

PS-ask youir surgeon about restretching. My surgeon removed all of the stretchy part of my stomach. As he explained it to me, I can't restretch it because there's nothing left to stretch. I can eat marginally more now after 2.5 years, but I will never be able to eat as much in one sitting as I did before surgery. Every surgeon does it differently, so ask and find out for yourself what your situation is.